- 4x50 drill/swim
Main Set
-- 1:40 base
- 500 free
- 5x100 free (was supposed to be pull)
- 400 free
- 4x100 back kick with fins on 2:00
- 300 free
-- See a pattern? I had to get out because of time.
Cool down
- 100 back

My pace was between 1:19 and 1:22 on the hundreds and probably sub 1:25 during the entire (free) main set. Not very fast considering the amount of rest I had.

Did 33 pushups.

No compliments today, Anna made fun of me, but I forgot the details.

Rant

I was highly annoyed last night when I found out that we would be long course again so the triathletes could get some more long course before the tri sprint hosted at the pool next weekend. All summer there would be no ropes in when we got there and I would usually unroll 5 of the 7 ropes, so the thought of pulling out 16 ropes and putting in 7 ropes had me considering skipping. We have between 30 and 40 people show up for practice but about 6-10 people either unrolled ropes or swam the ropes down the pool all summer. Last night the coach asked that people show up a little early to help switch out the lane ropes, and I was surprised, people showed up and helped.

Still, this cuts into the time I can spend swimming, so I dislike it. It isn't a problem short course, since people swim their own lane ropes, and they are rarely removed in the first place.

While I am in the middle of a rant, why were people wearing huge drag suits in my lane today? There were 4 people in the lane today, the 2 with drag suits that were board short sized, and those two didn't make the intervals. What benefit did the drag suits provide? I don't actually care, and am not upset that they did, it just seems dumb.

Monday should be the last day of long course nonsense.

Submit "8/13 Workout" to Digg Submit "8/13 Workout" to del.icio.us Submit "8/13 Workout" to StumbleUpon Submit "8/13 Workout" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

That bites about LCM. I read about you and Tom having to pull lane lines and I realize how lucky I am. With our pool at Cactus, the lifeguards pull the lane lines and move the bulkheads from SCY to LCM at the end of the night. We show and swim LCM with the USAS team, but, since we lame Masters get out first, the USAS kids have to pull the lane lines and bulkhead back. If the lifeguards forget or if the USAS kids aren't there, we Masters just shrug our shoulders and swim SCY.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    That bites about LCM. I read about you and Tom having to pull lane lines and I realize how lucky I am. With our pool at Cactus, the lifeguards pull the lane lines and move the bulkheads from SCY to LCM at the end of the night. We show and swim LCM with the USAS team, but, since we lame Masters get out first, the USAS kids have to pull the lane lines and bulkhead back. If the lifeguards forget or if the USAS kids aren't there, we Masters just shrug our shoulders and swim SCY.
    The lifeguards did it last year, but this summer there is no pool manager because the old one quit in May and the new one doesn't start until September. So the head lifeguard has told everyone that lane ropes are not the lifeguards job. I think that will change once the pool manager shows up.
    16 ropes and putting in 7 ropes
    Yeah, you need more than 6 people helping out. Luckily, we don't have to take SCY lanes out. And we only put 4 lanes up since maybe 5 people help out, on a good day. Of course, half the practice doesn't get there til 6:15. Maybe put in 5-6 lanes and make the 30 other people swim in open lanes. They should get the hint after that.
    While I love swimming LCM, I also hate putting in the lane lines. What I don't get is people who just stand on deck watching while others do it. Eventually I learned to just do 2 to give myself a lane, and let the others fend for themselves. Selfish yes, but that was after swimming 4-5 lines 50m several times.

I wear a drag suit 95%+ of the time, but it is nowhere as long as board shorts. I do it more so when I swim without one I feel so much faster. I can go around 2-3 sec/100 yard free faster without the drag suit. But I go in appropriate lane so I'm not holding up others.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    I wear a drag suit 95%+ of the time, but it is nowhere as long as board shorts. I do it more so when I swim without one I feel so much faster. I can go around 2-3 sec/100 yard free faster without the drag suit. But I go in appropriate lane so I'm not holding up others.
    There are people who wear nylon drag suits that are a little baggier than a normal suit. That is not what these are. One guy, who just started wearing this suit today, described it as swimming in a woman's dress. They were HUGE.
    You'll have to do 34 starting on Monday, touche'. I'm with you on big fluffy drag suits, bogus.
    I'm spoiled wrt lane lines like Patrick. I'd hate to lose swim time for that.

Who wears board shorts at a masters practice?! I really don't see the point of creating more artificial drag that could throw your strokes off anyway.
    I actually quit one team cause of having to help with lane lines. I'm too old and grumpy for that. We have to remove the covers in the winter at MAC, but that is quick and painless.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Who wears board shorts at a masters practice?! I really don't see the point of creating more artificial drag that could throw your strokes off anyway.
    Me, too. I'm actually migrating away from nylon drag suits in workouts to endurance or endurance-like jammers. I think the technique disruption is possibly greater than the 'feel advantage' of training in drag and racing in jammers.

Speaking of training in drag, I'm glad I don't have to go back to the HS days when our coaches made us wear pantyhose after we had had a taper and shave meet.
    At my age group club, we got into the habit of wearing drag suits with holes on the second suit and fabric coming off. Some guys wore pantyhose as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Me, too. I'm actually migrating away from nylon drag suits in workouts to endurance or endurance-like jammers. I think the technique disruption is possibly greater than the 'feel advantage' of training in drag and racing in jammers.
    Totally agree. Plus I think pace training is an important part of training, and it is hard to do when you are so far off pace.

Plus the endurance suits are technological wonders, I'm amazed at how long they last. And equally amazed, in this age of "planned obsolescence," that a company makes such a durable product.