View RSS Feed

swimsuit addict

Taper swim and taper thoughts

Rate this Entry
I went to the early AGUA workout. Here’s how it went:

1000 lcm warmup (400 swim, 200 kick, 200 pull, 200 IM dr/swim by 25), done during regular warmup and while others were doing 500 kick with fins

10 x 50 working udk, backstroke breakouts, and backstroke turns [done during set of 5 x 100 K @ 2:15. I find that when I try to do more UDKs, my breakout ends up being more abrupt. I’m trying to find that middle ground between longer underwaters and smooth breakouts.]

3 x block dive (1 FL, 1 BR to 40m, 1 FR to 35m) [done during a set that involved 400s—I moved up to a more “clumpy” lane for this so that I would have plenty of room to dive without worrying about incoming swimmers, since my regular lane had speeds all over the map this morning and spread out quickly. Dives felt good, and it felt fun to go fast. I actually wanted to do full 50 sprints but figured I would save that for the weekend.]

300 warmdown

Stretch

Things I do consistently during taper that are both helpful and pleasurable, and that I really should incorporate all season long:
1. Get to the pool early to enjoy the first part of warmup, when the pool is empty and calm.
2. Stretch thoroughly after each workout.
3. Eat a little something with protein and carbs right after each workout (I like Luna bars or vanilla low-fat milk pints for their portability).
4. Use a few turns during warmup to really exaggerate my streamline off the wall, and think about hitting that tight position during the rest of workout.
5. Practice starts.

Submit "Taper swim and taper thoughts" to Digg Submit "Taper swim and taper thoughts" to del.icio.us Submit "Taper swim and taper thoughts" to StumbleUpon Submit "Taper swim and taper thoughts" to Google

Comments

#5 Practice starts is a really really good idea. Such a good idea, I need to stop thinking how good of an idea it is, and actually practice starts all season long.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    #5 Practice starts is a really really good idea. Such a good idea, I need to stop thinking how good of an idea it is, and actually practice starts all season long.
    Ditto.

But practicing them too much before a taper meet will just tire out the legs.
    I have start issues as well...the only time I ever do them is at meets and the group I swim with NEVER does them. I really should see if we can work more of them in.
    Good luck on the backstroke breakouts - they're something I have been working on as well
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    But practicing them too much before a taper meet will just tire out the legs.
    Wait, you mean the only time I practice starts is the wrong time to practice them?