- 4x50 free/back
Main Set
- 300 free
- 4x150 free on 2:45
- 300 pull with buoy and paddles
- 2x150 free on 2:45 (2:00, 1:56)
-- more but had to get out
Cool down

The lane was a cluster, speed and endurance levels were all over the place, so I made the 300s start on the finish of the 3rd person in the lane and the 150s on 2:45. There was actually a slower lane ahead of us, but this should be the last LCM practice until next summer.

Since the lane was in disarray, my goal was to maintain my pace at an uncomfortable level the entire main set. Only on the last 2 150s did I get my time, and I don't know if they were faster or slower than the rest of the set.

Speed and Training

LindsayNB posted this on one of the swimming with math threads http://www.teamtermin.com/docs/Journ...ationships.pdf

It is an article that Budd Termin wrote about a training method he used on his swimmers at the University of Buffalo. The focus of the training method is training swimmers to swim at their optimal stroke rate while maintaining their optimal dps.

Swimming Speed Simplified: There are two ways to get faster. Increase the length of the stroke or increase the turn over.

Focusing on this, Termin worked on increasing dps early in the season and then worked on increasing turnover the rest of the season. This is very very simple, and required very little training time to accomplish. Training consisted mainly of lots of short distance just trying to swim at a target turnover while maintaining dps. There were two types of practices, high velocity and recovery, with high velocity being the practices working on increasing turnover lasting 60 minutes and recovery focusing on easy technique for 30 minutes, plus warm up and cool down time. There were 2 high velocity days followed by 1 recovery day, 6 days a week, one practice a day. A surprisingly light load.

The study lasted for 4 years, and the cumulative improvement was 10% in the 100 and 200 free, the two events he had the largest samples of swimmers during the study. All strokes and distances improved, but it looked like they improved about half as well.

How can I use this? I have no desire to just copy the training plan, but the idea of tracking dps and turnover seems like a good idea. Identifying and training for a specific turnover for my 200 sounds like a great idea. Lacking Termin's setup, use a poolmate watch?

I understand very little about effective training, so I do suffer from the 'Oh shiny!' effect when I read about a new training methodology.

The entire training program is laid out in detail starting on the 4th page of the pdf at the bottom left with the heading Training paradigms.

Submit "8/20 Workout, thoughts on speed and training" to Digg Submit "8/20 Workout, thoughts on speed and training" to del.icio.us Submit "8/20 Workout, thoughts on speed and training" to StumbleUpon Submit "8/20 Workout, thoughts on speed and training" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

I like your workout. I let Seth do the heavy thinking and planning. All I have to do is show up and swim.
    All I know is that lack of race pace training is deadly.
    I'm so glad I read this blog today. I feel like the crowd I swim with is overly focused on DPS and not really addressing the turnover part of the equation...and everyone's times are stalling. I'm glad to have a little ammo for the next time this comes up - it makes sense to me!
    Fort, The article really supports that your approach to training (the lack of over distance work) works at the collegiate level. I thought that was interesting.

Gigi, Until about Feb of this year, I never really thought to work on my turnover. DPS is easy to measure while turnover is not, so DPS probably gets more attention than it should.