View RSS Feed

swimsuit addict

Colonies Zones LCM meet report

Rate this Entry
Over the weekend I competed at Colonies LC Zones at College Park, MD. It was a fun and well run meet in a pool that I very much liked. I got to see a bunch of folks from the blogs and forums, many of whom I was meeting in person for the first time, so that was great. I also had a few teammates and a coach at the meet, which was really nice. My favorite fashion statement at the meet was Jim T.ís fuzzy-pink-socks-with-leather-sandals combo.

The trip down by train was easy, and I got a zipcar once I got to College Park. (I love love love Zipcars, btw). I arrived on Friday afternoon, and by Saturday morning I felt like a kid waiting for Christmas as I waited around for the meet to start that afternoon (noon warm-ups, 1pm start). Hereís my Saturday events and how I swam them:

100 Breaststroke: 1:30.10 (41.78, 48.32)
This was a solid time drop from my 1:34.0 (44.8, 49.3) at Middlebury. I was happy with this swim, but need to continue refining my br technique. Since Middlebury I have gone to a narrower kick, and the new way of doing things hasnít quite settled in yetóI feel like Iím still experimenting around, and doing something slightly different on every single stroke. Coach Craig also said Iím separating my hands too early in my strokeóI need to hold my streamline a scooch longer to take advantage of that position during the most propulsive part of my kick. It was encouraging to swim a decent time on this and still feel like thereís a lot of room for improvement.

100 Backstroke: 1:18.40 (38.27, 40.13)
This might have been the best BK start Iíve ever done, and definitely the longest underwater off a start Iíve ever tried. For the last month or so Iíve tried rotating about 45 degrees to the left on my udk, and this seems to make it easier for me. (This was a Boomer idea, with the rationale that you want to be using slightly different stabilizing muscles, or using them slightly differently, during the udk than the ones youíre using during your regular stroke, to avoid fatiguing them if possible. I also find that it somehow helps me keep water out of my nose, and puts me in a more natural position to start my first armstroke on the breakout). Leslie mentioned that my breakout might could still be a little smoother (ie more horizontal, less of a popping out), and Iím sure thatís something I need to continue to work on.
The time bettered my swim at Wilton last month 1:19.79 (39.3, 40.5).

50 Free: 30.89
This was an ok effortóIím glad to be under 31, hope to get back under 30 eventually, but nothing about my training led me to believe that would happen at this meet. My freestyle felt a little raggedy, as it has in training this summer, but I felt like I was getting some good power on at least some strokes, so thereís some hope there.

After my events Saturday I had a relaxing swim in the outdoor pool at the rec center (one of the perks of staying at the on-campus hotel) in the sunshine, and then an early dinner with my friend Andrea from New Jersey. I was back at the hotel and asleep by 8:30!

And that was good, because things started early the next morning (7:30 warmup, 8:30 start):

50 Breaststroke: 41.10
Again, my stroke technique was just feeling a bit uncertain. I as actually hoping for a better time after going out 41.7 in my 100 BR.

200 IM: 2:53.45 (39.47, 43.48, 51.03, 39.47)
I was happy with this race. The fly was as relaxed a fly leg as I have swum in quite a while, and finding some easy speed there has been a real challenge for me for the last couple of years. Midway through the backstroke I had one of those ďOh no, my arms feel really tired, and I have soooo far left to goĒ wailing to myself moments, but I just told myself I had swum with tired arms before and to keep on working it. I kept up the turnover on my breaststroke, and willed myself to kick all the way on my freestyle. My time is a nice drop from the 3:01 I swam earlier this season (43.9, 45.8, 52.8, 39.0), although I actually finished stronger on that one. My coach was excited that I exactly matched my FL and FR splits.

50 Backstroke: 36.62
This was an ok swim, not a great one. Itís a bit over a second faster than I swam mid-season, so Iíll take it. I did a fairly good job of keeping some rotation while I speeded up my turnover, but this swim just lacked the gung-ho feeling that 50s feel like they should have. I also did an even longer underwater kick than on my 100 backstroke, and I think I need to get someone with a stopwatch to time me doing various numbers of kicks to see what is optimal for a 50óit might be that Iím not a good enough dolphin kicker to warrant all that time underwater.

That was itó6 events in less than 24 hours!

When I looked at the event rankings Iím currently at 8-10 in several events, so Iíll see if any of those hold up. It is cool that swims from this meet are already in the rankings. I was also glad to see that my Wilton results are now included. That gives me an almost-complete event set in the USMS database from this LCM season:

http://www.usms.org/comp/meets/indre...=45&highage=49

Graphs might be forthcoming!

I should go for a recovery swim todayóIím pretty sore. I do have a massage scheduled for this afternoon.

Tomorrow we head out to Vancouver Island for week for a family wedding plus vacation. Iím not sure how much Iíll swim. Asphalt Green is closed until after Labor Day once I return, so this might just be a good time to take a break from the pool.

Submit "Colonies Zones LCM meet report" to Digg Submit "Colonies Zones LCM meet report" to del.icio.us Submit "Colonies Zones LCM meet report" to StumbleUpon Submit "Colonies Zones LCM meet report" to Google

Tags: lcm, meet report
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I think that you made a fashion statement of your own. Great going. Hope the times hold up. Remember, if you are 8th in the database, it might not hold me because there are alot of results that never get submitted. But, let's hope it holds up for you.
    Great job- those are some solid times!
    Is there going to be a separate post of suit commentary?

I don't know much about girl's times, but I do know you kicked my butt in the backstrokes... again. Nice job!
    Great meet! And, as usual, great suit.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Is there going to be a separate post of suit commentary?
    No, but I did like Stud's warmup swimsuit on Saturday. It was a close runnerup to Jim's sandals for my fave fashion moment.

I don't know much about girl's times, but I do know you kicked my butt in the backstrokes... again. Nice job!
    I'd rather be able to beat you in freestyle, but I'll take what I can get!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Great meet! And, as usual, great suit.
    Thanks! And I never remembered to ask you how you were liking your new suit. You looked like you felt pretty comfortable in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by swimsuit addict
    I'd rather be able to beat you in freestyle, but I'll take what I can get!
    There is a good chance you can, in the 1500
    Thanks! And I never remembered to ask you how you were liking your new suit. You looked like you felt pretty comfortable in it.
    The suit was fine, but not like my beloved B70. Bthis is the third meet I've worn a kneeskin in,
    so I'm kind of used to them. They pretty much feel like a cut off recordbreaker Pro.

Did you like the feel of your ASICs suit?
    Wow, nice meet Swimsuit Addict! Are you doing any meets this fall?
    There is a good chance you can, in the 1500
    I don't think it would count if the intervals for your workout sets totalling 1500 added up to less than my time for the actual event.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    The suit was fine, but not like my beloved B70. Bthis is the third meet I've worn a kneeskin in,
    so I'm kind of used to them. They pretty much feel like a cut off recordbreaker Pro.

Did you like the feel of your ASICs suit?
    The Asics is very comfortable and fairly easy to get into, but a tighter fitting suit might well be faster. But the Asics makes me happy when I wear it (and where else will I get to wear a hot pink and purple pinstripe and floral outfit, if not the pool?)
    Quote Originally Posted by aquaFeisty
    Wow, nice meet Swimsuit Addict! Are you doing any meets this fall?
    Thanks, Feisty! The only thing I'm signed up for so far is an open water swim on November 6 out at Coney Island. It will be cold, so I'm planning on doing some open-water training through the fall to prep for it.

Other than that, I'll probably do whatever local meets are easy to get to--I think there's one at Asphalt Green in October and one on Long Island in November that I'll probably swim.
    SCM meet at AGUA. Hmm, that could be a possibility for me.

Where would you park? Is Getting into Manhattan a big nightmare on Saturday as it is during the week?
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    SCM meet at AGUA. Hmm, that could be a possibility for me.

Where would you park? Is Getting into Manhattan a big nightmare on Saturday as it is during the week?
    I think for past meets at AGUA, they have included an address for a parking garage nearby where you can get discounted parking. Also, some of my morning teammates there drive into practice at AG, so I can ask them where they park during the week once workouts start back up after Labor Day. I don't think you should count on finding a street parking spot open, but you could get lucky!

Driving into Manhattan on weekends isn't so bad, but city driving is never fun. (I only drive around here a few times a year, so I'm probably not the best person to ask. Quicksilver might have a better opinion, or other folks on the forums that live within driving distance of the city.)

It would be cool if you came!
    Quicksilver might have a better opinion, or other folks on the forums that live within driving distance of the city.)

I usually car pool with my friend Steve. There's plenty of indoor parking within 1 or 2 blocks of the Green.
    And weekend traffic isn't all that bad. Door to door we're there in 2 hours.

We take the road coming in from the Bruckner right over to the FDR Drive. It's totally away from mid town traffic.

Their pool is really nice by the way.
    I think for past meets at AGUA, they have included an address for a parking garage nearby where you can get discounted parking. Also, some of my morning teammates there drive into practice at AG, so I can ask them where they park during the week once workouts start back up after Labor Day. I don't think you should count on finding a street parking spot open, but you could get lucky!

Driving into Manhattan on weekends isn't so bad, but city driving is never fun. (I only drive around here a few times a year, so I'm probably not the best person to ask. Quicksilver might have a better opinion, or other folks on the forums that live within driving distance of the city.)

Sounds doable! We will see what happens.