Thursday w/Speedo, Sept. 9
by, September 9th, 2010 at 05:26 PM (3575 Views)
I hauled my unrefreshed, allergy addled, geriatric feeling (Jimslie) body to the pool for a lunchtime swim with Speedo. We did the following:
Swim/SCY @ Oak Marr:
8 x 25 shooters w/fins
Pete and I did a portion of a kick workout we did frequently last year. I thought it was 5 x 200 kick, but it was 6. I took a nature break and did an easy 100 during #6, as I wasn't expecting it. My times were faster than I expected.
5 x 200 backstroke kick, no fins @ 3:30
I cruised #1, and immediately cramped. (I fear my allergy meds are causing dehydration.)
Then I went: 2:56, 2:53, 2:52, 2:51.
I looked back at a couple of my previous sets. I usually cruise #1-2 and then go.
On 2/4, I went 2:56, 2:53, 2:56, 2:51
On 12/28, I went 2:59, 2:56, 2:55, 2:53
So today's set was a slight improvement over last time. I didn't kill the SDKs. I took 8+ on the first 25 and then 6 (usually) thereafter.
20 x 50 Petra Paddle Drill Set @ :45
Extra :15 between sets of 5 to switch paddles
I left my fins on to float my shoulders, which are still sore, but didn't kick much.
1-5 w/strokemaker paddles (I don't use Pete's he man version)
6-10 reverse paddle drill
11-20 swim (I joined Pete in ditching the paddles)
The last 5 I tried to pick up the pace and went high 30s, breathing every stroke.
It was great to swim with Pete again today and we mulled over a number of topics such as:
1. If fins increase your leg strength and endurance, do paddles increase you shoulder strength and endurance? And is that why Petra (Mason sprint coach) is obsessed with them?
2. What nickname is Geek going to come up with to ride Pete about Gaga?
3. Why do Mrs. Speedo and I so get irked when our children or spouses eat something before dinner or fail to eat the delicious food we make them?
4. How much dryland work is sufficient? Pete is considering cutting back to 2x per week. I am thinking my sessions are too long and that I can't recover quickly enough. I perused my last 80 minute session and see that I started off with 3 x 75 med ball slams and 75 push ups before I even hit the weight room ...
5. Life would be infinitely improved if we could have a daily massage.
6. Pete needs to keep taking his 100 back out fast to keep putting up stellar times. I need to do this as well (I did it, finally, in Atlanta) and not die the last 15 yards.
7. Pete and I agreed that "that perfect blend of caring and not caring" (from Andre Agassi's autobiography) produces the best meet prep and results.
8. Petra really likes to train her sprinters with hypoxic freestyle. Pete likes oxygen. And, despite my love of underwater dolphin work, I insist on breathing every stroke in freestyle, except during a race or timed swim. I just don't buy those 3-5-7 breathing sets, so refuse to do them.
Tomorrow, I am going to haul myself out to Mason to swim in a cool pool and do some aerobic set. Trying to decide whether to swim in regular suit, B70 or wetsuit. I saw a couple tris using full sleeve wetsuits today at Oak Marr. No idea how they do that when the pool is 84 degrees ...