View RSS Feed

Swimming, Life, and Other Stuff!

Birthday Blog

Rate this Entry
by , September 10th, 2010 at 08:43 AM (271 Views)
Did you know the USMS forum sends you a text message on your BD? Very cool I'd say!
I just had 20 or so of my favorite 5th graders come down and sing Happy BD to me!!!! I got tears in my eyes cause it made me feel so special!!!
WELL..................tomorrow is Big Shoulder's 5K. I decided to go ahead and work today. I found a couple NASTI friends who couldn't leave till after 5:00p.m. so we will basically sleep/ swim/come home.
I am scared shi_l_ss!!! The water is 64 degrees currently and they're expecting rain storms tomorrow morning.
I feel like I'm in good shape and could do a personal best 5K(it would be my 1st race in 55-59) but I'm not sure I can make a 5K in water that cold. I took a nice Blue Seventy wetsuit from the store and practiced with it last night. I didn't like the constricting nature of the suit; it really pressed hard on my chest. I'm just torn about what to do. If I don't wear the wetsuit I will wear my BlueSeventy Nero and 2 caps. I probably won't make a decision till right before the race although right now I'm leaning toward the wetsuit.minutes. I wish I could go up there early today and try it out!

Submit "Birthday Blog" to Digg Submit "Birthday Blog" to del.icio.us Submit "Birthday Blog" to StumbleUpon Submit "Birthday Blog" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Happy birthday! And good luck in the 5K tomorrow--I know you will swim fast and do well no matter what you're wearing. I'm looking forward to reading your race report!
    You are special, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Good luck at big shoulders and I am sorry you don't have more time to adjust to the wetsuit. The new tris on my team who have had to use a wetsuit for the first time didn't like the constriction, but were more than happy with the additional buoyancy.
    Happy Birthday Bob!

Don't worry about the wetsuit. I only tried mine once before my OW race last year. Didn't seem to bother me much. Just don't freeze! The water temp seems awfully cold for non wetsuit swimming to me right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Don't worry about the wetsuit. I only tried mine once before my OW race last year. Didn't seem to bother me much. Just don't freeze! The water temp seems awfully cold for non wetsuit swimming to me right now.
    Bob, My :

• If the race allows a wetsuit at that temp, DO IT. I would.
    • I find sleeveless, full leg wetsuits more comfortable for racing than full arm / full leg. The sleeveless provides less constriction around the shoulders and still enough core body warmth.
    One other thought about the wetsuit if you go that route--it may seem counterintuitive, but sometimes a wetsuit can feel tight in the chest because it isn't high enough up in the legs/hips. When I wear one, I make sure to spend a lot of time getting it as high as possible around my waist and in the crotch before pulling it all the way up. Not sure that's your issue at all, but thought I'd throw it out there.

Happy birthday and good luck!
    Happy Birthday! Thinking of you and all the other guys doing Big Shoulders. Pain is temporary!!! Not only will I miss the swim, I will really, really miss the post-swim theatrics.