View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Drylands, Saturday, Sept. 11

Rate this Entry
by , September 11th, 2010 at 08:35 PM (1951 Views)
Drylands:

broomstick twists, 25
windshield wipers, 25
burpees with air squat, 10
reverse scoop w/25 lb plate, 1 x 15, & w/30 lb DB, 1 x 15
sieber squats, 25, every 5th one airborne
supine superman streamline ("SSS") on bosu, 2 x 1:00*
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdUVq_T8DpE"]YouTube - Bosu Streamline on the Back[/nomedia].
box jumps, 2 x 10
lower back/tricep exercise, 2 x 25**

skull crushers, 50 x 1 x 10, 60 x 1 x 10
back squat, 100 x 2 x 8 on power rack
standing straight arm lat pulldown, 150 x 2 x 8
lunges, 50 x 1 x 10, 60 x 1 x 10

RC exercises

* This seems like a very effective core exercise. And I could definitely have held it longer. It hits the same areas as planks, moreover, without any shoulder stress. Nice.

** A trainer showed me this exercise. It's hard to describe. I used the lat pulldown machine, a pole and the wall. You kneel on the lat pulldown bench and hook your feet under, grab a long pole about mid way down, plant the pole in the intersection of the wall and floor, then lower body down and then back up. Seemed to really hit the lower back and triceps. Would probably work even better with a weight belt

25-30 minutes of stretching, light yoga and foam roller work

15 minutes in steam room and whirlpool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

I thought about all the comments, all very insightful, on my blog from a couple days ago. I've tentatively concluded:

1. My dryland sessions are too long and I need to leave when appropriate and resist the urge to do more. I did less today, I believe, and cut back on the number of reps and on some core work.

2. Do less core work in the gym, but make sure the work I do "counts" and is hard. Plus, if I don't do some core work behind hard strength work, what will I do -- talk to myself?

3. Keep doing some plyos in a moderate amount. I don't think there's any need to go crazy on these anyway.

4. Focus more on pure strength and less on fitness. This one is hard for me, and somewhat contrary to my nature. It might result in faster swimming, but less fun in my dryland workouts. I have been shirking raw strength work lately, probably over the last year. I'm not sure how much this has negatively effected me though. My times from Atlanta were fairly comparable to the year before. Perhaps a very slight drop off in the 50s. On the other hand, I was wearing a Jaked instead of a B70, so theoretically they should have been faster.

5. I hate back and front squats though. Tried back squats again today. I just can't stand having the bar on my back/shoulder area. So I think I either have to do overhead squats or those bulgarian single leg squats. Any other suggestions? Carry on with goblet squats?

6. I like deadlifting much more than back squats. Not sure this is a substitute for all squats though. And, apart from front and back squats, I've surprisingly grown rather fond of other forms of squats and squat plyos.

7. I still want a sled ... I hope you're using that, Geek!

Today, I saw something I'd never seen before. At FortSon's CC race, for which it was almost 80 degrees as the varsity goes last, I saw a kid projectile vomiting the last 200-300 yards of the race. No idea how he could even manage to keep running! FortSon did OK, got a wicked cramp that killed his last 1K or so (which is usually his strength), but still started out faster than he did last year.

Submit "Drylands, Saturday, Sept. 11" to Digg Submit "Drylands, Saturday, Sept. 11" to del.icio.us Submit "Drylands, Saturday, Sept. 11" to StumbleUpon Submit "Drylands, Saturday, Sept. 11" to Google

Updated September 11th, 2010 at 08:40 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Strength Training and Dryland Workouts

Comments

I've always said that "fitness" by itself is vague. You can only be fit for something. The most efficient way to become fit for swimming is race simulation; that's the specificity principle at its coarsest.

Everything else you do is supplemental, and you should have a good idea of what attribute you're targeting with each training activity, and why that attribute is important for swimming fast. Both of these are guesses, and people are wrong about them at least half of the time (my guess), but it's better than no structure at all.

What I'm saying is, I totally agree with the less-fitness approach. "Fitness" is untargeted. Any workout that's just a vague lump of getting-more-of-the-fitness is likely to overlap with specific training activities. That redundancy is a waste of time and energy.

Re squats, I don't like them much either. Split squats are great, but kind of awkward and wobbly sometimes. I've been doing one-leg negatives on leg press recently, that's fun. Also, lunges!
    Updated September 12th, 2010 at 11:31 AM by Jazz Hands
    Oh and,

Do a workout with me if you want to get the feel for pure strength training again. I have plenty of Gold's guest passes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Hands

What I'm saying is, I totally agree with the less-fitness approach. "Fitness" is untargeted. Any workout that's just a vague lump of getting-more-of-the-fitness is likely to overlap with specific training activities. That redundancy is a waste of time and energy.

Re squats, I don't like them much either. Split squats are great, but kind of awkward and wobbly sometimes. I've been doing one-leg negatives on leg press recently, that's fun. Also, lunges!
    I also think the fitness approach (e.g., P90X) is more associated with weight control, weight loss, getting ripped than any attempt to produce sport specific results. Sometimes masters need to do some running or biking to counter the tendency to get fat from swimming. But, I suppose, this could be achieved by doing even 20 minutes a day of something.

I feel like I just got a get out of jail free pass wrt squats. Front and back squats are out! I agree, lunges are fine.
    Oh and,

Do a workout with me if you want to get the feel for pure strength training again. I have plenty of Gold's guest passes.
    I'm definitely going to take you up on that! Maybe a weekend in October? I have to go swim really far next weekend.
    Yes, this is a get out of jail free pass The "you must squat" thing is an introduction. When someone is starting with weights, they need to get the concept that some exercises are seriously challenging and, not coincidentally, effective. If someone only does leg press and never squats, they'll never know how different those two things are, and without that knowledge they won't be able to intelligently build their own routine.

You obviously know your way around a lot of leg exercises now, and you know what's comfortable and effective for you. Nobody needs to boss you around. Also, split squats and lunges are just as tough as regular squats.

And yeah, a weekend in October would be good.
    Yes, this is a get out of jail free pass The "you must squat" thing is an introduction. When someone is starting with weights, they need to get the concept that some exercises are seriously challenging and, not coincidentally, effective. If someone only does leg press and never squats, they'll never know how different those two things are, and without that knowledge they won't be able to intelligently build their own routine.

You obviously know your way around a lot of leg exercises now, and you know what's comfortable and effective for you. Nobody needs to boss you around. Also, split squats and lunges are just as tough as regular squats.

And yeah, a weekend in October would be good.
    Are you still a fan of the deadlift?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Are you still a fan of the deadlift?
    Haven't been doing deadlifts lately but I think they're fun. They always dominate the workout for me, so I have to plan to do pretty much nothing else. So exhausting. But there's really nothing better for hamstrings, traps, and lower back.
    Haven't been doing deadlifts lately but I think they're fun. They always dominate the workout for me, so I have to plan to do pretty much nothing else. So exhausting. But there's really nothing better for hamstrings, traps, and lower back.
    What are your typical sets?
    What are your typical sets?
    Nothing typical really. I remember doing something like 225x10x4 once. That just killed me. But I've also done days of many many singles at a moderately heavy weight. That might be my favorite thing to do with deadlifts because it's such an easy lift to set up for. Multiple singles on squats or chin-ups are a pain because you have to do all this stuff just to get ready (step into position for squats, put on the belt for chins). Deadlift is just walk up, set your feet, and pull. So I figure why not spread out the reps?
    Nothing typical really. I remember doing something like 225x10x4 once. That just killed me. But I've also done days of many many singles at a moderately heavy weight. That might be my favorite thing to do with deadlifts because it's such an easy lift to set up for. Multiple singles on squats or chin-ups are a pain because you have to do all this stuff just to get ready (step into position for squats, put on the belt for chins). Deadlift is just walk up, set your feet, and pull. So I figure why not spread out the reps?
    As I'm sure you might have guessed, I love the idea of doing singles.
    I thought about all the comments, all very insightful, on my blog from a couple days ago.
    I must have been in HI that post.

I can't believe Jazz said you didn't have to do back squats.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    I must have been in HI that post.

I can't believe Jazz said you didn't have to do back squats.
    You have been rather quiet about drylands lately. I attribute this to the recent bumbling.

I'm holding Jazz to it!
    You have been rather quiet about drylands lately. I attribute this to the recent bumbling.
    I even bumbled the word bumble.