Main Set
8x
- 25 ez on :30
- 50 build on :50
- 25 fast (2x :14, 6x :13)
- 150 back
Cool Down
- Chris Stevenson Special

Each cycle of the main set took a little less than 5:00, but I wasn't paying too much attention to the exact times.

I synced up with the other fast lanes when they started the main set, and this is when my time dropped from 14 to 13. Coincidence?

Turnover speed was a problem this morning. Since the battery died in my tempotrainer, I will need to buy a new one if I want to use that to help work on this problem.

If I can swim a 23 mid, I should be able to swim 12s from a push, right?

It didn't feel like much got accomplished this morning, 8x25s isn't much, but I do feel a little tight in the chest and arms, so it must have been a decent 200s of work.

This was way over on the sprint side of the spectrum from where I normally train. I hope it was a good use of time.

Submit "9/15 Practice" to Digg Submit "9/15 Practice" to del.icio.us Submit "9/15 Practice" to StumbleUpon Submit "9/15 Practice" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forgive me if you've discussed this before, but what's it like using the tempo trainer? I would imagine it can seem really pushy when you're tired, like, "there's no way it was going this fast at the beginning."

It also seems like it would be great for learning how to do even splits. You could set a slow tempo, follow it for a 200, and gradually speed it up until you feel challenged. Assuming DPS doesn't slip too much, you'd be even splitting near your best time. Thinking about this almost makes me want to buy one, if I ever do middle distance again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Hands
    Forgive me if you've discussed this before, but what's it like using the tempo trainer? I would imagine it can seem really pushy when you're tired, like, "there's no way it was going this fast at the beginning."

It also seems like it would be great for learning how to do even splits. You could set a slow tempo, follow it for a 200, and gradually speed it up until you feel challenged. Assuming DPS doesn't slip too much, you'd be even splitting near your best time. Thinking about this almost makes me want to buy one, if I ever do middle distance again.
    You can borrow my tempo trainer (still in the package) and see if you like it- if you don't put a hole in it.
    So you know it is a beeping metronome that you stick under your cap or in your goggle strap?

I have never used it long enough at a fast enough pace that I thought it was a cruel taskmaster, but that is a really good idea. It is actually really easy to make it slightly faster than your normal pace and keep up with it. It feels like running down a slight decline at the end of a long flat run. Your moving faster and it isn't so much harder as it is uncoordinated.

I never really cranked it up to try to keep up with some ridiculous paces. It would be interesting to find out a couple Olympian paces and plug them in for reference.
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedo
    You can borrow my tempo trainer (still in the package) and see if you like it- if you don't put a hole in it.
    If you don't want it, mail it to me.
    I still haven't seen any sort of convincing argument that turnover alone is the key to better swimming. Take a look at any 50 final and you will see 8 different turnover rates.

I used the tempo trainer twice at a clinic. It drove me mad with the beeping. I think it is probably good periodically but more often than that could drive you insane. You'd start walking around and hearing the phantom beep. Wouldn't it be just as easy to increase your strokes per lap without the maniacal beeping?
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    If you don't want it, mail it to me.
    I will if Jazz doesn't want it- I sort of owe him for making him swim half-shaved when I forgot the LZR.
    Quote Originally Posted by aquageek
    I still haven't seen any sort of convincing argument that turnover alone is the key to better swimming. Take a look at any 50 final and you will see 8 different turnover rates.
    Calculate my turnover in a 50.

Calculate the turnover of everyone in finals.

Does my turnover fall within the bounds of the range of turnovers from the finals set?

That would be your proof. The was a forum thread pretty much just discussing how slow my turnover is during the 50 free, I can dig it up if you want.
    I will if Jazz doesn't want it- I sort of owe him for making him swim half-shaved when I forgot the LZR.
    I did give him a brand new suit to wear the next day, so you can transfer that silly debt to me

You really should try is Speedo.
    That would be your proof. The was a forum thread pretty much just discussing how slow my turnover is during the 50 free, I can dig it up if you want.
    There's probably some level of turnover you need for a 50 but having a slower turnover is no guarantee that you will be slow. Plus, training for an event that lasts 23 seconds is boring, and lame. Embrace your slow turnover and go distance.
    I did a quick google. The avg male stroke/sec at the 84 trials in the 100M free was 1.797. Mine in the 50M last November was 1.155. My sprint turnover looks like most peoples 1500 turnover.
    I did a quick google. The avg male stroke/sec at the 84 trials in the 100M free was 1.797. Mine in the 50M last November was 1.155. My sprint turnover looks like most peoples 1500 turnover.
    I've been told the same thing which is why I've just quit sprinting - who needs that hassle.
    When do you use a tempo trainer? I'm assuming you'd set it slower for a timed mile than a 100....

I've used them, years ago at ASU when Ron was still coaching. I couldn't ever get the rhythm right. But now that I'm running, usually to music, maybe I should try again.

Paul has been harping on me to get my stroke rate to a stroke every second (he uses 5 strokes per 5 sec). The best I've done since he began this quest was 7 strokes per 5 sec, and I'm usually around 9 or 10. He claims a higher stroke rate will make me faster, while I always bring up dps.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    When do you use a tempo trainer? I'm assuming you'd set it slower for a timed mile than a 100....

I've used them, years ago at ASU when Ron was still coaching. I couldn't ever get the rhythm right. But now that I'm running, usually to music, maybe I should try again.

Paul has been harping on me to get my stroke rate to a stroke every second (he uses 5 strokes per 5 sec). The best I've done since he began this quest was 7 strokes per 5 sec, and I'm usually around 9 or 10. He claims a higher stroke rate will make me faster, while I always bring up dps.
    I used it a lot last fall, then I got it out recently and the battery was dead. Most of what I used it for was 200s and 400s and I set it just faster than was comfortable and didn't mess with it much after I set it because I didn't really have a good idea what to set it too.

I thought it was pretty easy to match the beep of the trainer, but I can see how it would get annoying.

Paul is right, your speed is determined by your stroke rate and your distance per stroke, so if your turnover is slow, than you could go faster by picking up the pace. If you want to read more about the relationship: http://www.teamtermin.com/docs/Journ...ationships.pdf
    Geek, I was rereading that "Q's turnover is slow" thread and came across this.

[ame="http://forums.usms.org/showpost.php?p=199510&postcount=28"]U.S. Masters Swimming Discussion Forums - View Single Post - Video Review: My 50 and 200 free[/ame]

Now are you convinced?
    Geek, I was rereading that "Q's turnover is slow" thread and came across this.

U.S. Masters Swimming Discussion Forums - View Single Post - Video Review: My 50 and 200 free

Now are you convinced?
    Oh, yeah, that's bad. I had a friend video me once during a 100 free. At the end he told me I swam a perfect 500, humiliating.
    We need a unified blog or something. All this back and forth on Fort's, Speedo's, Wolfs, yours and mine is complicated.

I would propose that for the convention but then Cat Fever and El Loco/a would have a fit and threaten to sue me.
    We need a unified blog or something. All this back and forth on Fort's, Speedo's, Wolfs, yours and mine is complicated.

I would propose that for the convention but then Cat Fever and El Loco/a would have a fit and threaten to sue me.
    Are you going to the convention?
    Are you going to the convention?
    No. Is there a live feed? Is it in Dallas?
    Do you not remember what happened when I actually got the LZR?
    No. Is there a live feed? Is it in Dallas?
    Yeah, it is in Dallas, but no live feed that I know of. Just turn on cspan, should be about the same.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast