View RSS Feed

bzaks1424

Its a Lifestyle Change!

Rate this Entry
So life has been wickedly busy for me lately - and I'm proud to say I've compensated. Since swimming has turn into a four times a week activity, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday just seem to fly by. It also was taxing my body and mind a lot more than it used to. So I had to figure out what to do. If i kept on the daily track and schedule I was on I was starting to crash and burn. If I lifted, my swims sucked, and if I didn't swim... well, I wasn't swimming and that's not really that much help to my goals.

So I've adjusted, adapted if you will to a schedule that maximizes my rest and allows me to get more out of my day.
I now wake up at 4:30 every morning.
*Oof* I now wake up at 4:30 every morning.
Sorry - I had to do that for dramatic impact. Try imagining the slow-mo punch to the face from Rocky 4 with the helpful visual below.

The schedule is pretty simple: 3 days in a row, get up, eat, find something to keep me busy from 4:45-5:20. Then get my rear on the bike, get to the gym and start lifting. As soon as I get done at the gym, I go home, shower and get to work. Which I will assure you is very very hard work!

Afterwards, depending on my energy level, I will take a nap when I get home usually until swim practice (or church meetings, or until I feel like doing freelance work).

This has also helped me keep my diet in control! That means that I've been seeing 205 on the scale a lot more often than I've been seeing 210. Its definitely helped my confidence in the pool and in general.

Speaking of the pool - being that this is a swimming blog. I've noticed a significant drop in my times since the summer. I swim an average of 1:35 per 100scy! To most people that's still slow as sin. In fact, to some people swimming that slow IS a sin. Since I'm already planning on going to hell eventually - this works out.
However - this is progress. Like a salmon swimming upriver to spawn, eventually they make it up a waterfall. I have personally seen my times fall from around 1:55 per / 100scy to this ~1:30 time in the last 9 months. So if we take my 100scy time at state (1:18 or 78 seconds) and apply the fact that my times in practice were roughly 1:55 (115 seconds) per 100scy. That means my taper induced a a 32.2% increase in speed (or reduction in time). If that holds true - that means my tapered swim times right now would be roughly a 1:03.65. That means I'm only a mere second off of qualifying for nationals (assuming the NQTs from last year are not too much faster than this year)

So cross your fingers cowboys and girls! I might actually earn my way to Nationals this year! I've got a pool, a plan and a dream!

Submit "Its a Lifestyle Change!" to Digg Submit "Its a Lifestyle Change!" to del.icio.us Submit "Its a Lifestyle Change!" to StumbleUpon Submit "Its a Lifestyle Change!" to Google

Updated September 22nd, 2010 at 09:33 AM by bzaks1424

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Here is Michael, owner of a pool, a plan, and a dream, though it might have been more alliterative if he had come up with a synonym for dream that starts with a p, such as, for instance:

a pool, a plan, and a pipe dream.

Sorry. I don't mean this in any way negatively but the only other synonym for dream that starts with a p that I could find on Thesaurus.com was pie in the sky, which seemed worse.

a pool, a plan, and a pie in the sky.

Anyhoo, I noticed that one of your posted pictures did not post. I was able to sleuth out the url and then apply the Jim Thornton slightly larcenous internet photo theft process to add this picture here to my comment.

1. Download and save the picture to your own computer by right clicking on it and "saving as"--in this case, "office cubicle.jpg"

2. Create a photo album for yourself on USMS.org

3. Upload purloined photo here.

4. Finally, use this image url to link to your blog. That way, it will appear and not be taken down!
    Good luck with your plan. It sounds like you are on the right track.
    And don't worry about thinking that swimming slow is a sin. As long as YOU are seeing improvement and enjoy the activity, forget what everyone else thinks.
    It's nice to be the owner of a plan and a dream. You remind me of Stud when he started swimming. He achieved his goals. Why not you too?
    Can't wait to meet you in Mesa!
    Quote Originally Posted by jim thornton
    Here is Michael, owner of a pool, a plan, and a dream, though it might have been more alliterative if he had come up with a synonym for dream that starts with a p, such as, for instance:

a pool, a plan, and a pipe dream.

Sorry. I don't mean this in any way negatively but the only other synonym for dream that starts with a p that I could find on Thesaurus.com was pie in the sky, which seemed worse.

a pool, a plan, and a pie in the sky.

Anyhoo, I noticed that one of your posted pictures did not post. I was able to sleuth out the url and then apply the Jim Thornton slightly larcenous internet photo theft process to add this picture here to my comment.

1. Download and save the picture to your own computer by right clicking on it and "saving as"--in this case, "office cubicle.jpg"

2. Create a photo album for yourself on USMS.org

3. Upload purloined photo here.

4. Finally, use this image url to link to your blog. That way, it will appear and not be taken down!

Thanks for the tips on using alliteration for that sort of thing. I should actually probably take the time to think these posts out a little more intelligently. However by the time I got to the aforementioned picture, my attention span was shot as my job was doing that thing where it makes me have to do stuff.

As far as the photo goes - you are correct sir! I have been rather lazy with that, mostly because I figured I wouldn't get enough hits that anyone would care. Apparently my small but mighty 84 hits on my blog was enough to peeve off the original owner.

It'll probably be another 2-3 weeks before I post anything anyway and by that time I'll actually have a swim meet to talk about.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    It's nice to be the owner of a plan and a dream. You remind me of Stud when he started swimming. He achieved his goals. Why not you too?
    Yes- but as his name implies, he is a stud. I however am merely a random jumble of letters from 1998 combined with 2 numbers that have significance only to myself. How can I compete with that? His screen name is just pure brilliance!
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Can't wait to meet you in Mesa!
    I can't wait to meet you either! Furthermore - I can't wait to get out of Chicago and go back to Phoenix for the first time in almost 10 years!
    Quote Originally Posted by KEWebb18
    Good luck with your plan. It sounds like you are on the right track.
    And don't worry about thinking that swimming slow is a sin. As long as YOU are seeing improvement and enjoy the activity, forget what everyone else thinks.
    Thanks! I don't think that will be a problem. Mostly because I'm working to rectify that with every practice. I'm going to compound to that remedy though, I usually forget who people even are after meeting them the first 2 or 3 times. So worrying about what they think really takes a back seat!
    Hey Michael, as we have discussed in our almost-daily e-mails, you know I'm you on 100%, and, likewise. I just thought I would add my here, too!

My forum signature includes this:
    "Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations." That may have been written by a San Diego newspaper journalist (Karla Peterson) about a character in a movie (The Little Princess), but it sure hit home to me. As one who has had to overcome all sorts of physical limitations, I can tell you I would have had a boring (and depressing) life if I had lived by those "limitations" all these 48 years. Dreaming IS a lot more fun, believing in my dreams has been a lot more rewarding, and I have no plans to live by any limitations unless there is absolutely no other alternative.

ROCK ON!
    Quote Originally Posted by ElaineK
    Hey Michael, as we have discussed in our almost-daily e-mails, you know I'm you on 100%, and, likewise. I just thought I would add my here, too!

My forum signature includes this:
    "Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations." That may have been written by a San Diego newspaper journalist (Karla Peterson) about a character in a movie (The Little Princess), but it sure hit home to me. As one who has had to overcome all sorts of physical limitations, I can tell you I would have had a boring (and depressing) life if I had lived by those "limitations" all these 48 years. Dreaming IS a lot more fun, believing in my dreams has been a lot more rewarding, and I have no plans to live by any limitations unless there is absolutely no other alternative.

ROCK ON!

Thanks Elaine! Although please consider this a challenge :-D You vs me in the 50 free for now... we'll talk about the breast stroke soon enough!
    Nice blog! SwimStud's DNA, however, is the same jumble we are all heir to, generically speaking!
    A man, a plan, go!