View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Tuesday, Sept. 21

Rate this Entry
by , September 21st, 2010 at 04:38 PM (2256 Views)
Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

700 various

Main Sets:

10 x 50 @ 1:00
odds = stroke drill
(1 arm fly or russian breast)
evens = kick

30 x 25 shooters w/fins @ :30, done as:

10 x 25
odds = back
evens = belly

10 x 25
flutter kick shooter

10 x 25
twirling shooter

1:00 rest between sets of 10

10 x 50
odds = stroke drill
evens = kick

100 EZ

Total: 2550

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

I had considered doing some speed work today, but I am not recovered from the events of the weekend. Why does it take so long to recover from races/travel? I need to get back on track, but am oddly demotivated. Thankfully, it is only Sept. 21. Still a month to the Sprint Classic. I'm going to take a look at some of my CVDB workouts from last fall to get ideas for sprint workouts. Or, I could just read Patrick's blog.

I did speak at length to my ENT doctor today. He confirmed that cold air & cold water can be an asthma trigger, especially if combined with fall allergies. He re-prescribed Asthmanax and rescue inhalers to use as needed. He thought the B2B swim would be "risky." It's possible that taking the meds prior to swimming could stave off/prevent an attack or breathing problems. Or it might not, given the length of the swim and the cold temps. He advised pre-testing, i.e., taking the meds and having at a long cold swim. This doesn't really seem feasible for me. I'm just not comfortable doing this race right now. So I'm going to be a wimp and bail and beg beg beg for a replacement!

Here are a few more pics from the tri, one of Mr. Fort's Jamis bike cake, and a shot of Mr. Fort and me where we do not look post race bedraggled. You can sort of see how steep the Westernport Wall is in the devil pictures.

I am scheduled for a long visit with my hair stylist tomorrow. Maintaining red hair is difficult. I love it, but I am slightly frustrated with the major fading problem. Considering another color at year end. Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020802.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	213.6 KB 
ID:	6492   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020814.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	206.5 KB 
ID:	6493   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020815.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	208.1 KB 
ID:	6494   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020804.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	221.8 KB 
ID:	6495   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image0001.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	198.4 KB 
ID:	6496  

Submit "Tuesday, Sept. 21" to Digg Submit "Tuesday, Sept. 21" to del.icio.us Submit "Tuesday, Sept. 21" to StumbleUpon Submit "Tuesday, Sept. 21" to Google

Updated September 21st, 2010 at 04:52 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Love the cake.
    Glad you're getting things sorted out. It can take 2 weeks before you notice the Asthmanax working. I take a rescue inhaler before it so my lungs are clear and I get the full benefit.
    Hope you get back into your groove soon.

I just looked up the "Westenport Wall" climb. Wow. I'm pretty familiar with climbs in the 10-15% range, but 20-30%?!
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Glad you're getting things sorted out. It can take 2 weeks before you notice the Asthmanax working. I take a rescue inhaler before it so my lungs are clear and I get the full benefit.
    Thanks for the tips, Tim! I am apparently fairly clueless about asthma.

Have you ever tried prednisone tablets pre race? The doctor said those may work well too.
    Quote Originally Posted by scyfreestyler

I just looked up the "Westenport Wall" climb. Wow. I'm pretty familiar with climbs in the 10-15% range, but 20-30%?!
    Thanks Matt, me too. I think I'm just weary from dealing with allergy, asthma and sleeping problems. I need to get these things under better control. And I think I need more concrete goals/meet schedule.

The Wall is amazing. All the hills in the Savageman bike leg are difficult. That's the primary reason Savageman was selected as world's most difficult tri last year. I'm hoping there are YouTube clips of people going up the wall like last year.
    Updated September 21st, 2010 at 09:10 PM by The Fortress
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Love the cake.
    Thanks Q. It was Lil Fort's idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Thanks for the tips, Tim! I am apparently fairly clueless about asthma.

Have you ever tried prednisone tablets pre race? The doctor said those may work well too.
    I've only been on prednisone a couple of times, to assist with clearing an upper respiratory infection and/or extremely bad cough. I'll never forget the first time....I started on a Friday. That Sunday I woke up and felt like Superman, got out and ran faster and further than I had before. If your doctor would do it, I'd grab the chance. But it would definitely fall into the bounds of the performance enhancing thread. One side effect is supposedly weight gain, but the opposite has happened for me.

Years ago, before I was on Asthmanax, I took a cromolyn inhaler, which was supposedly performance enhancing. I took it while at a meet, but didn't feel any impact or see it in my times.
    I've never noticed one hit from an inhaler having any performance enhancing effect, despite John Smith's assertions to the contrary. Why would prednisone cause weight gain if you were only taking it once in awhile before a long race? And would it be PE-ing if you only took it once? I don't care about the PE effect anyway; I just want to breathe. I'll try these other meds first (they've seemed effective before) and see how it goes.
    Updated September 21st, 2010 at 06:32 PM by The Fortress
    Let me dial up a few friends on RAM in Raleigh to see if anyone would have an interest in your swim at B2B. Raleigh is just 2 hours from Wilmington.
    Quote Originally Posted by aquageek
    Let me dial up a few friends on RAM in Raleigh to see if anyone would have an interest in your swim at B2B. Raleigh is just 2 hours from Wilmington.
    Thanks Geek! I am going to try to prevail on Jimslie as well. Since he is practically a member of the family by virtue of his squatting, he would fit right in. And Mr. Fort would have company in the grand master category.
    I'm going to take a look at some of my CVDB workouts from last fall to get ideas for sprint workouts. Or, I could just read Patrick's blog
    No. That would be a recursive nightmare as I'm going to rip workouts from your blog.

Considering another color at year end. Thoughts?
    Purple or anything that's good for Lady Gaga has to be good for everyone, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb

Purple or anything that's good for Lady Gaga has to be good for everyone, right?
    I'm not sure a grandmaster can pull off Gaga.
    I'm declaring any further discussion on Lady Gaga to be a violation of forum policy.

I don't get involved in hair color discussions. Seems no matter what I say it causes issues. I should simply always adhere to the wise words of my mother years ago - "Never ever comment in any way on a woman's age, weight or hairstyle."
    Quote Originally Posted by scyfreestyler

The Wall reaches 31% grade at its worse. I'm not going to say it isn't difficult, but make it or not it is just a tiny blip in the race. Meaning if you don't make it, you just walk that small stretch (it's only a city block long). When you get to the top of The Wall you begin a 7 mile ascent - that's much harder than The Wall.

Toward the end of the bike course (somewhere around 40-45 miles) there is a stretch called Killer Miller that is the hardest part of the course and makes The Wall a distant memory. They have funny signs along the bike course. On one steep hill it said, "No Drafting." The best one was at the top of Killer Miller. Mind you this is 45 miles into the bike. It says, "Don't forget to save your legs for the run." That is evil!

Julie made me do this race last year - it was a week before our wedding. I guess it was the last hurdle I had to clear to prove I was worthy!
    Quote Originally Posted by aquageek
    I'm declaring any further discussion on Lady Gaga to be a violation of forum policy.

I don't get involved in hair color discussions. Seems no matter what I say it causes issues. I should simply always adhere to the wise words of my mother years ago - "Never ever comment in any way on a woman's age, weight or hairstyle."
    Good advice. I wish Mr. Fort had been told that!

I just looked at sone photos of Gaga -- no idea how she walks about in those shoes. And purple and yellow are simply not good hair colors.
    Thanks for posting the pictures, and the story of your incredibly distressing day. (The bike cake takes First Prize!) A slightly streaked, natural-looking red with gold tones or a golden brown lowlight might work and be something you could touch up at home.
    Read and appreciated your words in latest Swimmer mag. I dealt with sleepless issue by getting up, taking a tepid bath, and banishing all stress in middle of night. The new bylines have freshened the mag's writing throughout.
    Quote Originally Posted by ViveBene
    Thanks for posting the pictures, and the story of your incredibly distressing day. (The bike cake takes First Prize!) A slightly streaked, natural-looking red with gold tones or a golden brown lowlight might work and be something you could touch up at home.
    Read and appreciated your words in latest Swimmer mag. I dealt with sleepless issue by getting up, taking a tepid bath, and banishing all stress in middle of night. The new bylines have freshened the mag's writing throughout.
    Thanks Vive! I was thinking of gold and golden brown next myself. If it stays red, I seem to prefer the vibrant red.

I have gotten up and read, but hadn't thought to take a bath. Could you go back to sleep after? Since I am now well used to the sleeplessness, having gone on for some years, I rarely have anxiety or stress over it anymore (though occasionally, to be sure). I mostly just find it frustrating because of the ensuing exhaustion.

I think the magazine is excellent under Laura Hamel's direction.

And did you survive Big Shoulders?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Thanks Vive! I was thinking of gold and golden brown next myself. If it stays red, I seem to prefer the vibrant red.

I have gotten up and read, but hadn't thought to take a bath. Could you go back to sleep after? Since I am now well used to the sleeplessness, having gone on for some years, I rarely have anxiety or stress over it anymore (though occasionally, to be sure). I mostly just find it frustrating because of the ensuing exhaustion.

I think the magazine is excellent under Laura Hamel's direction.

And did you survive Big Shoulders?
    A tepid bath, an aspirin, and I was fast asleep again in 10 minutes. But I did not have a husband or children to worry about. Perhaps the guest house? Reemerge in 3 years?

I survived Big Shoulders quite well by going to Glacier for some climbing.

Feel free to disregard those who would like to see you die in your next cold-water swim. The noive!