View RSS Feed

Random Nonsense

9/22 Practice - Now with racing!

Rate this Entry
I am on the fence if this workout is a Fort workout. I think the last set makes it a no.

Warm up
- 300 free
- 300 kick on back no fins
- 300 back
- 300 swim
Main Set
- 100 free off the blocks (:56.5)
- 10x50 odd ez, even fast with fins on 1:00 (sub 28s)
- 150 ez
- 4x200 odd fast, even ez on 3:00 (2:10, 2:08)

Thanks to Damien, we might have a race every practice off the blocks. The plan is to do the 100 back Friday, which Damien is very good at. After the 100 free, he told me he thought I was dogging the race because he was only half a body length behind, but didn't think that on the back half His goal is to break 1:00 and he went 1:00.2 today, so just cleaning up his turns should do it.

Didn't worry about the times on the 50s with fins too much since we rarely do sets like that, I don't have a reference for what fast really is. Fun set for me.

That second 200 hurt and felt like a 2:30 as my arms slowly started to grind to a stop during the last 50.

Not much yardage, but good quality today. This goes in the great practice bucket for me.

Registered for my first SCY meet of the season and penultimate USAS meet of the year.

Submit "9/22 Practice - Now with racing!" to Digg Submit "9/22 Practice - Now with racing!" to del.icio.us Submit "9/22 Practice - Now with racing!" to StumbleUpon Submit "9/22 Practice - Now with racing!" to Google

Updated September 22nd, 2010 at 01:20 PM by qbrain

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I like that workout- and that's great you have someone to race, but it sounds like you guys are slacking on the smack talk.
    That's a great half workout. You doing the other half tonight?
    Speedo, I only smack talk when I am the underdog, or we are at least evenly matched.

Geek, nope, I am done in the water for the day.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Speedo, I only smack talk when I am the underdog, or we are at least evenly matched.
    Yes, you did a great job of waking the giant in Atlanta.
    That does sound like a good quality set. Your friend sounds just a little faster than me, too bad your both in Dallas and I can't race with you.

Just a silly question.... How long does it take you to kick on your back without fins? Doing that for a 300 wouldn't be an easy warmup forme.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    That does sound like a good quality set. Your friend sounds just a little faster than me, too bad your both in Dallas and I can't race with you.

Just a silly question.... How long does it take you to kick on your back without fins? Doing that for a 300 wouldn't be an easy warmup forme.
    My team has several people who would be competition for you, maybe 6 guys and 2 girls are around the minute mark.

It probably takes 6 minutes, or so. Almost everyone else kicks with fins, but I get in before most people and I am currently faster than everyone so kicking without fins doesn't put me behind.
    I like that and I'm going to co-opt it next week and call it a sprint workout, though I might modify it to have less 200s at the end.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    I like that and I'm going to co-opt it next week and call it a sprint workout, though I might modify it to have less 200s at the end.
    Nope, can't be a Fort workout with fast 200s. The rest is all good.

Patrick is cheating all ready. He shouldn't even be considering a fast 200 as a masters sprinter.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Nope, can't be a Fort workout with fast 200s. The rest is all good.

Patrick is cheating all ready. He shouldn't even be considering a fast 200 as a masters sprinter.
    Darn, I thought I was moving up in the world.

It is laughable that Patrick is stealing workouts from me as well as cheating on his sprinting.
    Darn, I thought I was moving up in the world.

It is laughable that Patrick is stealing workouts from me as well as cheating on his sprinting.
    I'm a slow learner. Fort, point taken, I'll steal this workout and replace the 200s with 4 x 12.5 on 2:00 from a dive.
    Fort, how fast would you do the fasts on those 10x50s with fins? Was I going too slow?

I guess if I have to ask I as going to slow.
    Fort, how fast would you do the fasts on those 10x50s with fins? Was I going too slow?

I guess if I have to ask I as going to slow.
    With fins, in an all out effort on a good day, I usually go 24-25 on back and 25 on free and fly. If I did them on 1:00 like you did, probably more like 26-27. Maybe faster with every other one easy. But I stay under a long time on these, probably more than you. I'll try it one day!

Your 100 free was very fast for practice.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    I'm a slow learner. Fort, point taken, I'll steal this workout and replace the 200s with 4 x 12.5 on 2:00 from a dive.
    Good boy.
    nice 200 times. You are off to a very good start this yards season.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    With fins, in an all out effort on a good day, I usually go 24-25 on back and 25 on free and fly. If I did them on 1:00 like you did, probably more like 26-27. Maybe faster with every other one easy. But I stay under a long time on these, probably more than you. I'll try it one day!

Your 100 free was very fast for practice.
    Thanks, I probably should have been faster on those 50s. That set really works out to be the same thing as if you did 5x50s on 2:00 with fins, because you probably would have active rested in between. So... you would have kicked my rear up and down the pool

I was happy with that 100.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    nice 200 times. You are off to a very good start this yards season.
    Having this mini season that begins and ends in Oct helps the motivation to train seriously.