View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Tuesday, Sept. 22

Rate this Entry
by , September 22nd, 2010 at 09:46 PM (2620 Views)
Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

700 various

8 x 50 @ 1:00
odds = swim
evens = kick

Speed Set:

10 x (25 AFAP + 25 EZ), no interval

3 free, 3 breast, 3 UW kick, 1 fly fast

100 EZ

Total: 1700

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

I only had time for a very quick swim today; the rest of the day was booked solid. (And I still have red, not Gaga, hair.) So, it seemed like the perfect time to pop in a 10 x 25 fast. I wish I had felt fast, but at least it's a start. I'm ready to get back to basics -- strength & speed! But, unlike Patrick, I plan to use actual weights.

I glanced at a few workouts from last year in late Sept. In particular, I was looking to see what I went on my fast 50s with fins for Q. I found this set from Sept. 29:

5 x (50 AFAP w/fins + 100 EZ)

Went:

50 SDK on back, :23
50 back, high :24
50 free, :25 (missed turn)
50 SDK, :23
50 back, :25 (tired)

I highly doubt I could do that right now. But I plan to do this set on Friday along with some other speed work and maybe some high intensity vertical kicking. I feel the need to do more than 31 kicks in 10 seconds, or I will have to concede defeat to Geek and send him a cap.

To get myself out of my demi-funk, I am entering some meets. I am going to do an abbreviated line up at the Sprint Classic and go to Indy with Jimslie the following weekend. I will be staying at the famous Bobinator's house and Chicken of the Sea, FlyQueen, Bzaks and others may attend as well. If Bill White doesn't come with Jimslie and me, I will plan something evil for my next Sewickley Masters workout over Thanksgiving.

Sprint Classic Events, Oct. 24:

50 back
50 fly
25 back
25 breast
25 fly
25 free

GRIN Fall Classic at Indy, SCM, Oct. 30-31:

Saturday:

100 fly
50 free
50 fly

Sunday:

100 back
50 breast (as split request in the 100)
100 IM

The weather sucks! It was 90 and humid today. It thundered as I was heading to watch FortSon's cross country race. It was delayed, causing me to miss the race because I had to take Lil Fort and friend to swim practice. Grrr ... He said he had a good race, but died in the heat. We fair skinned folk do not like exercising in heat.

I haven't received my Swimmer magazine yet, and I am just dying to read "Swimming Through Menopause."

I am getting some crap for being mental about the cold water and opting not to do the B2B race. I can only hope that certain people know that if I die, our relay will get DQ'd.

And, finally ... drumroll ... Ryan Lochte will be at a local swim shop on Saturday from 11-2. Mini is urging a trip there after my swim practice.

Submit "Tuesday, Sept. 22" to Digg Submit "Tuesday, Sept. 22" to del.icio.us Submit "Tuesday, Sept. 22" to StumbleUpon Submit "Tuesday, Sept. 22" to Google

Updated September 22nd, 2010 at 10:51 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    For the record, I used three different dumbbells on Monday and will use them tomorrow, as well. I'm just a novice sprinter

The Indy meet is so enticing -- my favorite pool -- but my bro's going to be in Vegas that weekend and I'm angling with my nuclear family to do that, provided I'm home in time for festivities. Still, Indy sounds enticing. I don't imagine Vegas Fri/Sat night, red-eye to Indy, swim Sunday morning @ Indy and fly home for trick or treating is a recipe for success?
    6 events totalling 200 yards- I love it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedo
    6 events totalling 200 yards- I love it.
    I think that was my line up last year too. I don't want to get too tuckered out for Indy. I could always scratch the 50 fly.

And I'm a real glutton for punishment by signing up for the 100 fly the following weekend -- that's 4 whole lengths, in meters no less.
    Updated September 22nd, 2010 at 10:55 PM by The Fortress
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    For the record, I used three different dumbbells on Monday and will use them tomorrow, as well. I'm just a novice sprinter

The Indy meet is so enticing -- my favorite pool -- but my bro's going to be in Vegas that weekend and I'm angling with my nuclear family to do that, provided I'm home in time for festivities. Still, Indy sounds enticing. I don't imagine Vegas Fri/Sat night, red-eye to Indy, swim Sunday morning @ Indy and fly home for trick or treating is a recipe for success?
    I think there has been less than full disclosure in your blog ...

Nope, criss crossing the country in one weekend is contra-indicated for sprinters.
    Thanks for heads up about Lochte!! Which local swim shop will he be at?

Also, I would not worry about your decision to skip the open water swim- cold water does the same thing to my lungs and it is not fun.
    Is Ryan Lochte the guy Speedo is putting out front as model instead of Phelps? Mop of curly hair? OK, he's cute, and a healthy fixation for teen girls (I *think*).
    You are thinking of the right guy, Vivebene, but Lochte got a hair cut and it is a VAST improvement! No more mop! I'm not surprised that Mini is angling for a visit to the swim shop...

Bummed I can't make Indy, Fort, but you should have a blast!!
    I wonder if Lochte will wear the t-shirt he wore in Irvine at one of the big meets this summer that the TV cameraman kept trying to keep just out of view. Did anybody else see that? They showed it for a brief moment before one of his swims and then never again. It was a Flintstones shirt with either a Fred or Barney character on the front. Above the cartoon it said, "I'll make your" and at the bottom of the cartoon it said, "Bedrock." Pretty funny!
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    A 5, a 10 and a 15?
    I glanced at a few workouts from last year in late Sept. In particular, I was looking to see what I went on my fast 50s with fins for Q. I found this set from Sept. 29:

5 x (50 AFAP w/fins + 100 EZ)

Went:

50 SDK on back, :23
    50 back, high :24
    50 free, :25 (missed turn)
    50 SDK, :23
    50 back, :25 (tired)
    Sweet, you swim backstroke tired faster than I swam free. Maybe I should just kill myself, aka become a distance swimmer. Thanks for looking that up, although I was less than thrilled to read it.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Sweet, you swim backstroke tired faster than I swam free. Maybe I should just kill myself, aka become a distance swimmer. Thanks for looking that up, although I was less than thrilled to read it.
    Don't feel too bad about it- she swims these 50s in an entirely different manner than you do. She's flying underwater for about 60% of it- I doubt you do that. Of course, time is what matters in the end, but her 50 backstroke is not your 50 backstroke.
    Don't feel too bad about it- she swims these 50s in an entirely different manner than you do. She's flying underwater for about 60% of it- I doubt you do that. Of course, time is what matters in the end, but her 50 backstroke is not your 50 backstroke.
    I think my freestyle should be competitive with Fort's backstroke on these sets.
    I think my freestyle should be competitive with Fort's backstroke on these sets.
    Mine isn't. She's usually got a bodylength by the 25.
    Mine isn't. She's usually got a bodylength by the 25.
    But don't you usually do the set without fins?

Either way, 28s were probably too slow yesterday.
    Quote Originally Posted by psyncw
    Thanks for heads up about Lochte!! Which local swim shop will he be at?

Also, I would not worry about your decision to skip the open water swim- cold water does the same thing to my lungs and it is not fun.
    Sports Fair in Arlington. I expect a big crowd.

Good to know I am not the only one! I don't want to feel guilty about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ViveBene
    Is Ryan Lochte the guy Speedo is putting out front as model instead of Phelps? Mop of curly hair? OK, he's cute, and a healthy fixation for teen girls (I *think*).
    Yes, that Lochte. I find him hard to listen to, but the teen girls do seem fixated.
    Quote Originally Posted by aquaFeisty
    You are thinking of the right guy, Vivebene, but Lochte got a hair cut and it is a VAST improvement! No more mop! I'm not surprised that Mini is angling for a visit to the swim shop...

Bummed I can't make Indy, Fort, but you should have a blast!!
    I must google. I haven't seen a picture of him without the mop. He has been Mini's idol for years.

I will miss you in Indy. But Halloween is of max importance to kids the age of yours!
    Quote Originally Posted by jroddin
    I wonder if Lochte will wear the t-shirt he wore in Irvine at one of the big meets this summer that the TV cameraman kept trying to keep just out of view. Did anybody else see that? They showed it for a brief moment before one of his swims and then never again. It was a Flintstones shirt with either a Fred or Barney character on the front. Above the cartoon it said, "I'll make your" and at the bottom of the cartoon it said, "Bedrock." Pretty funny!
    Very funny! Probably went well with the day glo green shoes too.

Have fun this weekend!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Yes, that Lochte. I find him hard to listen to, but the teen girls do seem fixated.
    Teenage girls are hard to listen too.
    Well, that set was faster than I remembered. I've gone plenty slower. Plus, you were doing your 50s @ 1:00. I could spend the entire 1:00 doing the EZ 50 and still need more rest before reloading. Mine had an EZ 100 between, and so were probably @ 4:00.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast