Drylands, Sept. 23
by, September 23rd, 2010 at 05:48 PM (2796 Views)
Drylands, 60-70 minutes:
broomstick twists, 25
windshield wipers, 15
flutter kicks (on back, arms in streamline position) on bosu, 50
lateral hops on bench, 1:00
dead lift singles, 3 x 45, 1 x 95, 1 x 115, 1 x 135, 1 x 135, 1 x 145, 1 x 145, 1 x 155
med ball floor slams (10 lb ball), 2 x 10
plyo start drill w/med ball, 1 x 10*
streamline on back on bosu, 2 x 2:00**
bulgarian split leg squat w/10 lb plate overhead, 10 x 2 x 10 each leg
-- next time I'll use a heavier plate, as these were relatively easy. Here's a vid of an overhead split squat: [ame="http://www.5min.com/Video/How-to-Perform-an-Overhead-Split-Squat-23478918"]How to Perform an Overhead Split Squat Video – 5min.com[/ame] I just used a bench for the back leg.
-- you can do these SSs with added ROM as well -- [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZlodHgCipk"]YouTube - DeFrancosTraining.com - Bulgarian split squats w/ added ROM[/nomedia].)
back extensions w/plate, 25 x 1 x 15
body rows (aka inverse pull ups), 2 x 15
russians twists on incline w/plate, 25 x 2 x 25
extreme angle isometric squat hold, 4:00 (effen ouch)
extreme angle isometric push up hold, 1:45
* I used a fairly heavy med ball when I started, but I seemed to put a crack in the drywall. . So I switched to a lighter wall and moved further away from the wall. I should probably do these in the racquetball court in the future.
** This is so much easier on the shoulders, and seems equally effective in building core strength, that I may never do a plank again.
RC Work, 10 minutes:
arm circles, scapular scrunches, seated straight arm dip, external and internal rotators.
Yoga, 30 minutes:
30 minutes of yoga and stretching. I had two people ask how long I'd been doing yoga -- only a year or so. I'm inclined to do shorter more frequent bouts of it rather than the whole 60-90 minute DVD.
Got in a good gym session today. Would have liked to do a technique based swim, but didn't have time. I didn't get as fast a start this week as I was hoping after Savageman. But I still have a month before the Sprint Classic, so it is all good. Other random thoughts:
1. I like the look of the vibrams. I might buy myself a pair for the gym. They were everywhere at Savageman.
2. I need a more concrete plan for the next two 4 week cycles. I will focus on speed work and strength during the week with generous intervals. If I do any aerobic sets, it will be kick endurance or longer shooters. I'll try to get some aerobic work in on the weekend with my team.
3. I may do 1-2 tabata sets during the week for a cardio boost. It's amazing that 4 minutes (of hell, to be sure) can have such a large aerobic impact. http://www.squidoo.com/tabatatraining
4. I need to throw my MF in the truck.
5. I haven't received the FAST sprint paddles i tried to order. I need to check on that.
6. Trying to decide what to do tomorrow at Mason. Either the 5 x 50 AFAP set or the Gary Hall Sr. kick workout from hell ... I fear the latter would require more tolerance of pain.
7. My fav new smoothie combo has: blackberries, kiwi, cherries, blueberries, beet greens, and plum in it. My allergist told me to stop using flax and coconut water temporarily pending the allergy test results. I seem to have somewhat less GI distress from doing this.
8. I've been pondering the isometric holds and whether to include them in my routine. I've tentatively decided that I want to keep the 2 I did today, but not the others. I may run this by Mr. Fort's trainer to see if they would still have the same benefit. I would think they still would, for the particular strength move involved. These are supposed to become easier and require less recovery if done regularly.
9. Has anyone else been able to get on FB this afternoon?
10. In support of ADD drylands: