View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Drylands, Sept. 23

Rate this Entry
by , September 23rd, 2010 at 05:48 PM (2564 Views)
Drylands, 60-70 minutes:

Warm up:

broomstick twists, 25
windshield wipers, 15
flutter kicks (on back, arms in streamline position) on bosu, 50
lateral hops on bench, 1:00

Strength/Power Work:

dead lift singles, 3 x 45, 1 x 95, 1 x 115, 1 x 135, 1 x 135, 1 x 145, 1 x 145, 1 x 155
med ball floor slams (10 lb ball), 2 x 10
plyo start drill w/med ball, 1 x 10*
streamline on back on bosu, 2 x 2:00**
bulgarian split leg squat w/10 lb plate overhead, 10 x 2 x 10 each leg

-- next time I'll use a heavier plate, as these were relatively easy. Here's a vid of an overhead split squat: [ame="http://www.5min.com/Video/How-to-Perform-an-Overhead-Split-Squat-23478918"]How to Perform an Overhead Split Squat Video – 5min.com[/ame] I just used a bench for the back leg.
-- you can do these SSs with added ROM as well -- [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZlodHgCipk"]YouTube - DeFrancosTraining.com - Bulgarian split squats w/ added ROM[/nomedia].)

back extensions w/plate, 25 x 1 x 15
body rows (aka inverse pull ups), 2 x 15
russians twists on incline w/plate, 25 x 2 x 25
extreme angle isometric squat hold, 4:00 (effen ouch)
extreme angle isometric push up hold, 1:45

* I used a fairly heavy med ball when I started, but I seemed to put a crack in the drywall. . So I switched to a lighter wall and moved further away from the wall. I should probably do these in the racquetball court in the future.

** This is so much easier on the shoulders, and seems equally effective in building core strength, that I may never do a plank again.

RC Work, 10 minutes:

arm circles, scapular scrunches, seated straight arm dip, external and internal rotators.

Yoga, 30 minutes:

30 minutes of yoga and stretching. I had two people ask how long I'd been doing yoga -- only a year or so. I'm inclined to do shorter more frequent bouts of it rather than the whole 60-90 minute DVD.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

Got in a good gym session today. Would have liked to do a technique based swim, but didn't have time. I didn't get as fast a start this week as I was hoping after Savageman. But I still have a month before the Sprint Classic, so it is all good. Other random thoughts:

1. I like the look of the vibrams. I might buy myself a pair for the gym. They were everywhere at Savageman.

2. I need a more concrete plan for the next two 4 week cycles. I will focus on speed work and strength during the week with generous intervals. If I do any aerobic sets, it will be kick endurance or longer shooters. I'll try to get some aerobic work in on the weekend with my team.

3. I may do 1-2 tabata sets during the week for a cardio boost. It's amazing that 4 minutes (of hell, to be sure) can have such a large aerobic impact. http://www.squidoo.com/tabatatraining

4. I need to throw my MF in the truck.

5. I haven't received the FAST sprint paddles i tried to order. I need to check on that.

6. Trying to decide what to do tomorrow at Mason. Either the 5 x 50 AFAP set or the Gary Hall Sr. kick workout from hell ... I fear the latter would require more tolerance of pain.

7. My fav new smoothie combo has: blackberries, kiwi, cherries, blueberries, beet greens, and plum in it. My allergist told me to stop using flax and coconut water temporarily pending the allergy test results. I seem to have somewhat less GI distress from doing this.

8. I've been pondering the isometric holds and whether to include them in my routine. I've tentatively decided that I want to keep the 2 I did today, but not the others. I may run this by Mr. Fort's trainer to see if they would still have the same benefit. I would think they still would, for the particular strength move involved. These are supposed to become easier and require less recovery if done regularly.

9. Has anyone else been able to get on FB this afternoon?

10. In support of ADD drylands:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...071402359.html

Submit "Drylands, Sept. 23" to Digg Submit "Drylands, Sept. 23" to del.icio.us Submit "Drylands, Sept. 23" to StumbleUpon Submit "Drylands, Sept. 23" to Google

Updated September 23rd, 2010 at 08:30 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Yoga

Comments

Tabata? Wtf? Just swim...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Hands
    Tabata? Wtf? Just swim...
    hahaha

Swimmers do tabata too:

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkcnqPHcWeI"]YouTube - Faster Swimming dryland routine called Tabata[/nomedia].

It's really just another type of swimming dryland, if you choose a tabata exercise that's swim specific.
    I must have missed when you introduced these, can you please explain a little--

extreme angle isometric squat hold
    extreme angle isometric push up hold

They both sound interesting, and maybe I'd somehow fit them into my gym routine.

The first time I saw someone running in Vibrams I thought my mind was playing tricks on me. I nearly stopped running so I could turn around and see. I've heard that if you get the running version and plan to run in them, you need to rebuild from scratch. Similar to what I did with my custom orthodics. I think I started with 3 miles, and gradually built back up to mostly normal.

Facebook has been very spotty today for me on Firefox. But I opened through IE, and it works smoothly. I was having some Firefox issues on my mini PC last night, and just attributed them to it being a cheap mini PC (light and great for travel, but other than couch surfing I don't recommend it for home use). Maybe FB was to blame then too...

When is your next meet, and what events will you do? The faster swimmers I swim with (not yet Paul and Laura though) are already trying to talk me into doing a SCM meet at ASU in Nov.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    I must have missed when you introduced these, can you please explain a little--

extreme angle isometric squat hold
    extreme angle isometric push up hold

They both sound interesting, and maybe I'd somehow fit them into my gym routine.

The first time I saw someone running in Vibrams I thought my mind was playing tricks on me. I nearly stopped running so I could turn around and see. I've heard that if you get the running version and plan to run in them, you need to rebuild from scratch. Similar to what I did with my custom orthodics. I think I started with 3 miles, and gradually built back up to mostly normal.

Facebook has been very spotty today for me on Firefox. But I opened through IE, and it works smoothly. I was having some Firefox issues on my mini PC last night, and just attributed them to it being a cheap mini PC (light and great for travel, but other than couch surfing I don't recommend it for home use). Maybe FB was to blame then too...

When is your next meet, and what events will you do? The faster swimmers I swim with (not yet Paul and Laura though) are already trying to talk me into doing a SCM meet at ASU in Nov.
    Here's the entry where I discussed some of the research on these exercises:

http://forums.usms.org/blog.php?b=9016. Mr. Fort's trainer got him started on these.

Geek and mj mcgrath did say that the vibrams take some getting used to for running because they require a mid foot stride. I really haven't been running at all b/c of my toe issue.

My next meets are on Oct. 24 (Sprint Classic at GMU) and Oct. 30-31 (Grin Classic at Indy). Listed events and meets yesterday. Do the Nov. meet! You might surprise yourself and plus get some more baseline times.

I haven't been able to get on FB on either Safari or Firefox here since this am. Edit: Just got on. I think it was on FB's end.
    Updated September 23rd, 2010 at 06:56 PM by The Fortress
    1. You are late to the party. The trend setters have already retired from them.

2. This is a repeating trend with training. Case in point: I still don't have a lifting plan in place but my season will be over in 5 weeks.

6. I vote for 5x50 AFAP with fins because I want to see just how bad I am.

7. Did I tell you I drank coconut water in Vietnam? I felt so Fortlike I wanted to ask the next boat if they could blend me a fishball smoothie to go with it.

I never thought I would hear Jazz say "Just swim" any more than "back squats aren't required." Did Jimbie hack his account?
    1. How do you know?

2. I agree. I think it's almost impossible to be methodical all the time wrt weight training. Unfortunately, when you take time off (case in point, me this summer), it's hard to get back in a groove and decide on a plan of attack.

6. I will probably do 5 x 50 AFAP. I'm not sure I'm quite ready for that kick workout yet.

Maybe one season I'll "just swim." Right now, it seems too boring to just swim. And I wouldn't feel fit. But he may have meant just swim for aerobic/anaerobic and not worry about tabata. That may be good advice. But when you are an ADD trainer, you need variety.

I'm loving not doing back squats. At the moment, my legs/glutes/hammies can feel that isometric squat. I guess that could be from the deadlifting though ...
    1. Boss is a trend setter and father in law works at and manages a running store. My boss is wearing Tom's and my father in law has Vibram's in stock

6. Awesome, I will buy tissues.

Deadlifts are great, they hurt a millions times worse than backsquats.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    1. Boss is a trend setter and father in law works at and manages a running store. My boss is wearing Tom's and my father in law has Vibram's in stock
    It doesn't look like Toms go to the gym though. The women's shoes look like espadrilles. Maybe the silver glitter ones are OK ... http://www.toms.com/catalog/product/...s/category/53/. They're in stock too.

I'm expecting to feel somewhat trashed from the deadlifts tomorrow.
    Evidently there was some sort of Facebook glitch today:
    Facebook-CNN_story0923

I think you should do a T-60!?!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    But he may have meant just swim for aerobic/anaerobic and not worry about tabata. That may be good advice. But when you are an ADD trainer, you need variety.
    This is the correct decoding. Tabata, as I understand it, is full-body energy system conditioning. That's redundant with pretty much any pool work. ADD or no ADD, you have limited training time. There's a secret way to make your conditioning workouts as swimming-specific as possible while also practicing technique and race tactics. I won't tell you the secret, but it rhymes with fwimming.
    Also, funny that you did a full workout of deadlift singles. I started out my lower body workout this week with the intention of doing that, but my back is too complainy about the heavy weights. I've decided that I've had my last deadlifting back strain ever. I swear. I did something like 6 sets of 5 on sumo deadlifts instead. Much more pleasant.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    I think you should do a T-60!?!
    I gave up that when I previously quit swimming.
    This is the correct decoding. Tabata, as I understand it, is full-body energy system conditioning. That's redundant with pretty much any pool work. ADD or no ADD, you have limited training time. There's a secret way to make your conditioning workouts as swimming-specific as possible while also practicing technique and race tactics. I won't tell you the secret, but it rhymes with fwimming.
    But what if you can't get to the pool one day? Like I couldn't today. Better tabata than nothing?

Are you fwimming these days?
    Also, funny that you did a full workout of deadlift singles. I started out my lower body workout this week with the intention of doing that, but my back is too complainy about the heavy weights. I've decided that I've had my last deadlifting back strain ever. I swear. I did something like 6 sets of 5 on sumo deadlifts instead. Much more pleasant.
    You did suggest them.

I've decided it doesn't really matter so much exactly what exercises I do or how many reps I do, just so I am building strength. I know there are those that say you can't assess this unless you objectively measure X exercises over time. However, I like my way better. And I do, in fact, repeat exercises quite frequently. I just don't do the same things every time I lift. The only downside of my approach may be that, because you are doing different things, you tend to get sore more frequently?

What's a sumo deadlift? (I will google.) How is it more pleasant?
    Personally I would prefer nothing over tabata any day, but I think you have a different psychological approach

I've been doing very limited and weak fwimming. Planning on spring nats, but I have a lot of prep time still. Watch it slowly slip away.
    Personally I would prefer nothing over tabata any day, but I think you have a different psychological approach
    Nothing does not reduce stress.

Well, it does. I guess what I mean is no exercise does not reduce stress. Or control weight.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    You did suggest them.

I've decided it doesn't really matter so much exactly what exercises I do or how many reps I do, just so I am building strength. I know there are those that say you can't assess this unless you objectively measure X exercises over time. However, I like my way better. And I do, in fact, repeat exercises quite frequently. I just don't do the same things every time I lift. The only downside of my approach may be that, because you are doing different things, you tend to get sore more frequently?

What's a sumo deadlift? (I will google.) How is it more pleasant?
    I like your way better, too. Performance in lifting is a deceptive measure of strength. A lot of it is just about what lifts you've been practicing. For example, I can't bench press as much as I used to, but I can dumbbell shoulder press a lot more. The base strength is still there; I'm just using different movement patterns. Nitpick apprehension (looking at Q): Yes I know those lifts use different muscles. Shh.

Soreness might actually be the best strength progress heuristic you can find. What I'm about to say it's kind of strength training heresy. Having read about DOMS and hypertrophy, and experienced both of them in strength training, they both seem to follow from similar situations, especially eccentric contraction. It might just be that when you're sore that's actually a good thing (as many masochistic gym-rats intuitively believe anyway) as it indicates that your muscles are adapting to stress by increasing or maintaining their size. I know you're not into being super-buff, but muscle size leads directly to muscle strength, so there ya go.
    Oh and sumo: feet very wide. It's a little easier on the lower back, and I think the technique is less awkward. Learning sumo deadlifts got me to transition into a regular stance. Before that my knees were always in the way.
    I like your way better, too. Performance in lifting is a deceptive measure of strength. A lot of it is just about what lifts you've been practicing. For example, I can't bench press as much as I used to, but I can dumbbell shoulder press a lot more. The base strength is still there; I'm just using different movement patterns. Nitpick apprehension (looking at Q): Yes I know those lifts use different muscles. Shh.

Soreness might actually be the best strength progress heuristic you can find. What I'm about to say it's kind of strength training heresy. Having read about DOMS and hypertrophy, and experienced both of them in strength training, they both seem to follow from similar situations, especially eccentric contraction. It might just be that when you're sore that's actually a good thing (as many masochistic gym-rats intuitively believe anyway) as it indicates that your muscles are adapting to stress by increasing or maintaining their size. I know you're not into being super-buff, but muscle size leads directly to muscle strength, so there ya go.
    Yes! More vindication of my training methods that may seem haphazard to some!
    Oh and sumo: feet very wide. It's a little easier on the lower back, and I think the technique is less awkward. Learning sumo deadlifts got me to transition into a regular stance. Before that my knees were always in the way.
    It looks a lot easier on the back after I googled and looked at the different deadlifts. The romanian deadlift looks, well, deadly.