View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Monday, Sept. 27

Rate this Entry
by , September 27th, 2010 at 09:21 PM (3967 Views)
Yoga:

30 minutes of yoga and stretching

Commentary:

This was my off day, but figured stretching wouldn't interfere. Otherwise,

1. I am quite cross b/c I went to the eye doctor today and have an eye infection and keratitis. Again. No contacts for a week. Where are the prescription goggles? I feel like a human punching bag lately.

2. MRI on the foot tomorrow. Oh joy.

3. Gossip: The two winners of the Savageman Tri, Desiree Ficker and Philip Graves are dating. He is the best tri in the UK and, some say, will soon be the best in the world.

4. I feel quite safe in stating that I will never swim the 200 free as a master.

5. Here's a link to a photo of Mr. Fort from Savageman. http://tri-to-win-events.smugmug.com...24356846_av5Jc. I told Mr. Fort he's dead if he orders any photos documenting my travails of that day.

5. I got out of going homecoming dress shopping when Mini Fort and I got a dress online last night. This is nothing short of miraculous.

6. I thought the NE SCM Champs were the second week of December. I can't find a lick of info on the meet. And no idea if or where a CZ SCM will be held. Can't decide whether to plan a taper for this time period again ... But if I don't, I can see drifting during this SCY period when I am 49.99.

7. I wanted to re-print Jazzy's weight lifting advice from Q's blog here to refer to:

The outline I usually recommend has the following rules, which can all be bent:
Three days a week.
Three exercises per workout: one upper body push, one upper body pull, and one umm squatting-type-thing.
However many sets and reps you want, as long as the whole workout takes less than an hour and you are pushing your limits. Most sets should be between 4-20 reps.
More than a minute rest between sets, to ensure that you aren't going too light because of exhaustion.

And example exercises:

Upper body push
Any Hammer Strength press (chest or shoulder)
Dumbbell bench press (flat or incline)
Dumbbell shoulder press
Barbell bench press (flat, decline, or incline)

Upper body pull
Pull-ups and chin-ups, any grip (mix them up!)
Any Hammer Strength row or pulldown
Cable rows and pulldowns
Dumbbell rows
Barbell rows
Rack chins and inverted rows

Squat-type-thingie
Any squat variation
Any deadlift variation
Lunges
Leg press

Submit "Monday, Sept. 27" to Digg Submit "Monday, Sept. 27" to del.icio.us Submit "Monday, Sept. 27" to StumbleUpon Submit "Monday, Sept. 27" to Google

Updated September 27th, 2010 at 09:50 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Yoga

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I am frustrated as well by nothing on calendars for SCM champs in December. I feel like right now I have no goals.
    Quote Originally Posted by KEWebb18
    I am frustrated as well by nothing on calendars for SCM champs in December. I feel like right now I have no goals.
    Exactly! You need meets to set goals and plan. I hope it's at Rutgers again.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Exactly! You need meets to set goals and plan. I hope it's at Rutgers again.
    I just saw this: NE Zones at Boston U 12/10-12/10 on the [ame="http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?p=226877#post226877"]CZ board[/ame]
    Quote Originally Posted by KEWebb18
    I just saw this: NE Zones at Boston U 12/10-12/10 on the CZ board
    Thx Katie. I just wish I could find an actual meet entry form. One must always check out the order of events before committing. I remember last year, the CZ order was so bad that I went to Boston instead. But Rutgers is so much closer and easier.
    1. Bummer

2. Bummer again.

3. Publicity stunt.

4. Chicken!

5. Nice arm warmers.

5. The joys of parenthood.

6. 49.99?

7. Birds of a feather.
    Now, it sucks that no one has put out a bid for CZ Zones. NE Champs doesn't have a 1500 which sucks. But, I get it because the meet is so packed.
    3. Not sure it's a publicity stunt. He looks smitten in his FB profile shot of the happy couple.

4. Cluck, cluck. (Note that I did have my college record in the 400 IM though. :-))

6. I'm finding it oddly discouraging to be 49 with the new crop of 45 year olds in my age group. I'm ready to age up.

7. Jazz is much lazier than me. Not mentally lazier though.
    Updated September 27th, 2010 at 11:35 PM by The Fortress
    Fort, do you have any commentary on #7? People ask for a beginner strength program sometimes, and I'd like the perspective of someone who I've tried to advise before. Are there any important details I'm leaving out? I'm trying to find the basics that I need to convey to any given swimmer to get them on the right track, if that's possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    Now, it sucks that no one has put out a bid for CZ Zones. NE Champs doesn't have a 1500 which sucks. But, I get it because the meet is so packed.
    No bids?!

I guess a trip to Boston is in my future again then. I liked Zones when it was a week earlier. Boston is awfully close to the holidays.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Hands
    Fort, do you have any commentary on #7? People ask for a beginner strength program sometimes, and I'd like the perspective of someone who I've tried to advise before. Are there any important details I'm leaving out? I'm trying to find the basics that I need to convey to any given swimmer to get them on the right track, if that's possible.
    I think it's pretty solid.

I like the choice of exercises within the group b/c that staves off boredom.

Emphasizing rest between sets is important. I see some people go 30-45 seconds between sets. I never do; I don't see the point. But I could be missing it, I guess.

I also think it's good to only focus on 3 exercises. Otherwise, it's overload and you're heading back to a Lezak type plan.

Under an hour is good advice. I'm trying to keep mine shorter to avoid the feeling of being totally thrashed by doing too many reps or duplicate exercises. See how well I take advice? lol

I think you need a "filler" category. If someone doesn't just want to jaw or listen to their ipod between sets, they can do some core or plyo work for example. There are plenty of core exercises that I find valuable b/c they are compound and nail lots of different body parts -- like the reverse scoops or back extensions or hanging core work. But this could just be my own bias.
    No bids?!

I guess a trip to Boston is in my future again then. I liked Zones when it was a week earlier. Boston is awfully close to the holidays.
    Yes, and if you collect miles on US Airways, there's a double-mile promo...sign up in advance:US-BOS_promo
    I think you need a "filler" category. If someone doesn't just want to jaw or listen to their ipod between sets, they can do some core or plyo work for example. There are plenty of core exercises that I find valuable b/c they are compound and nail lots of different body parts -- like the reverse scoops or back extensions or hanging core work. But this could just be my own bias.
    I like to walk between sets, actually. My rec center at school had a sweet indoor track where I could take a lap or two between sets. Or I would take a couple laps around a basketball court. Even though my new gym doesn't have much in the way of walking paths, I definitely don't just sit between sets.

So, yeah, maybe the advice should include something about that. I think it's better if the filler is more relaxing, though. I would not be down with telling people to do plyos between squat sets, for example.
    I like to walk between sets, actually. My rec center at school had a sweet indoor track where I could take a lap or two between sets. Or I would take a couple laps around a basketball court. Even though my new gym doesn't have much in the way of walking paths, I definitely don't just sit between sets.

So, yeah, maybe the advice should include something about that. I think it's better if the filler is more relaxing, though. I would not be down with telling people to do plyos between squat sets, for example.
    Walking is good.

Yeah, plyos do demand a lot of energy. And people who aren't fit enough for them or used to them can injure themselves. (Happened to a friend trying air squats recently.)

Flutter kicks or streamline holds on a bosu or russian twists might be a better option. I would say planks, but I'm generally not a fan.
    I would not be down with telling people to do plyos between squat sets, for example.
    Unless you didn't like them and wanted them to get hurt.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Unless you didn't like them and wanted them to get hurt.
    Lol. But maybe more people get hurt with weights?

Have you ever done or thought of doing plyos, Q?
    Funny timing: I just found this video:

http://www.t-nation.com/strength-tra...ining-lab/8121

Jumps between sets of squats. Supposedly to activate the ol' nervous system. Bodybuilders jumping is hilarious.
    Funny timing: I just found this video:

http://www.t-nation.com/strength-tra...ining-lab/8121

Jumps between sets of squats. Supposedly to activate the ol' nervous system. Bodybuilders jumping is hilarious.
    Interesting. Supports my intuitive "filler" theory.

Not sure if you read my blog the other day. But last Friday before a speed set, I did all sorts of jumps, water squats, explosive speed stuff for warm up. I had a really really good speed set afterward. I was wondering if the warm up had anything to do with it. I expected to go much slower.

Plus, the only thing I did well at Zones this summer was get off the blocks fast. Has to be the plyos.
    Desiree has done quite well in the triathlon world, to put it mildly. When she first got out of college she swam with the Ancient Mariners at MAC. She came from a college track background and started in the "slow lane" side of the pool but gradually kept moving up a lane until she made it to the "fast" side of the pool. I don't ever remember seeing a masters swimmer make that kind of progress in such a short amount of time.
    Lol. But maybe more people get hurt with weights?

Have you ever done or thought of doing plyos, Q?

I wasn't criticizing plyos as dangerous. If Jazz told someone to do sets of sqauts with box jumps in between, I would be confident he was trying to get them to break a leg. I can hardly walk after most sets, let alone jump.

I am trying to think if I have ever done them, and I think the answer is no. But I did have one swim coach that had a very intense dryland program we did between seasons, but I still don't remember any plyos in it.

A lot of things are running through my mind of what to do starting in Nov. Maybe I should do a 17 month plan to break 1:50 before I get old..er.
    Quote Originally Posted by jroddin
    Desiree has done quite well in the triathlon world, to put it mildly. When she first got out of college she swam with the Ancient Mariners at MAC. She came from a college track background and started in the "slow lane" side of the pool but gradually kept moving up a lane until she made it to the "fast" side of the pool. I don't ever remember seeing a masters swimmer make that kind of progress in such a short amount of time.
    I know! I understand she's top ten in the world.

That is remarkable progress in the pool. But she's obviously a natural athlete who excels in every sport. I've heard her father was one of those pushy parents.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast