View RSS Feed

bzaks1424

Speaking of Changes

Rate this Entry
Ch-ch-changes!

As many of you know - I don't like keeping things in my life very static. Those of you who might even know me a little better know I have a lot going in this month. So I'm going to lay out my goals, my ideas and ask for your feedback. Savvy? Let's continue!

Moving
This Friday - October 1st 2010. I get my keys to my very own apartment. It will be the first time in my entire life I've truly lived on my own. I'm not going to lie, this is possibly the most exciting thing to happen to me since the day I finally left the farm and moved to college. (Don't misunderstand me, I love my family very much. It was just great to move on to somewhere new!)
So in my excitement - I've completely and totally forgotten to purchase a bed! So - my plan is (legitimately) to take the couch I have, and assuming its still in good condition after being stored in the garage wrapped in a tarp for the past year (I'm really hoping) and use that until I can find a bed that I like. This couch is comfortable.. I mean really comfortable. I used to sleep on it when it was at my parents place back in Iowa whenever I'd got back for the holidays. It was always the most amazing sleep in the universe. I could rush out and purchase a new bed RIGHT NOW, but honestly I feel like to make such a purchase would definitely be in haste and would be a waste of a chance to sleep on that amazing couch once again. Perhaps I'm just being cheap... Okay I'm probably being really cheap but I'm really okay with it!

There are more bonuses to moving though!
Biking
My new location will be within 10 biking miles of work if I take my bike safe route! (found here) The extra 20 miles of biking should be good for me until it starts to snow. I just need to buy the reflective clothing. Right now I have a black sweatshirt, black wind pants, a black stocking cap and black gloves. Something tells me I'm like a target for a car if I try to bike during any bit of a normal time of the day. The ride itself is actually a really nice ride! Most of it is on a path, and the parts that aren't are on less driven roads - which reduces my chances of getting nailed when I'm biking work at 6 in the morning! I'm hoping that this slightly addition to my activity level will actually help me kill off the couple of extra pounds that are still making little "love" handles that I hate.

Dairy Free
Starting when I move - I'm going to move towards a 100% dairy free (excepting when other people are feeding me) diet. Now - I have no reason to believe that I'm going to have any changes in my body as I've never had any problems digesting dairy. Proof: I ate a 1.5 qt container of chocolate ice cream in a contest a couple months ago and I felt amazing the next day. That being said - I made a promise to some people so I'm going to do it. My goal is 2 months non-dairy. So that means no cheese, yogurt, or milk. Or any other products containing the lactose protein. We'll see how I do!

Workout Changes
These are not really at all related to the move - but I wanted to talk about them.
Lately in practice my coach has really been pushing better SDK work as a means of preparation for our Sink Or Swim Classic! She's also been harping on me about my body position. This is good, it means she cares and I like that. She's making me use a snorkel so I can keep my shoulders positioned correctly in the water. So I use my snorkel for all of my kick sets, my pull sets and any 25 sprints swimming I HATE flip turning with them. I always flood up then there's a panic of being unable to breath until I get that stupid snorkel out of my mouth.... <sigh> I'll get it. Its just frustrating.

In any case, I'm excited about a lot of things. Next blog post will be about my goals for the SoS meet on the 24th! It should be a great time! I will be wearing my tuxedo speedo -> which is an even BIGGER reason you should all be coming to that meet!

Submit "Speaking of Changes" to Digg Submit "Speaking of Changes" to del.icio.us Submit "Speaking of Changes" to StumbleUpon Submit "Speaking of Changes" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Congrats.

My advice on beds: either save and get the best you can get (Tempurpedic) or get a futon bed. I slept on futons through grad school and the early years of my marriage and they were great. We then moved to a 'traditional' beds for like 15 years and they all stunk until we splurged on a Tempurpedic.

My ironman friends' advice on biking: light yourself up like an Xmas tree when you're out in the dark. I don't ride much more than the occasional mile through quiet neighborhoods, but train with lots of Ironmen & women. I've heard too many stories of cyclists being run off the road or hit, particularly in the dark. The "Xmas light" guy wears body lights in addition to the usual headlight and taillight. Be bright, be safe.
    I used to commute a bike around and had several close calls and a few times actually being hit. Just keep one thing in mind:

No matter how lighted or visible you are, always consider yourself unseen by motorist.

I must admit, when I saw this picture, and then read you had lived on a farm, I wondered if the change you had in mind was becoming one of those adorable girls on Little House on the Prairie.

It is, of course, a dream of mine, especially since I would be once again allowed by USMS to wear a full body suit, albeit one without zippers.

But then I said to myself, "Jim, I think you are projecting. I doubt very much Michael shares your dream."

Two other tidbits of advice from an older guy who has been around the block a couple times.

1. Beds. Consider, for the time being, getting an airbed from Campmor catalog. My son got one for college and finds it quite comfortable. Eventually, when you get a real bed, you can keep this one as a back up for friends who visit. Granted, you might all want to share one giant bed. But sometimes a guy just isn't up for a menage a siete and has to tell two of the friends to find another place to lay down.

B. I realize this doesn't happen too often, but once in a blue moon you will run into a woman who is lactating. I think it is very important to decide right now if you consider this dairy or not. I personally would recommend not considering it dairy. But either way, decide now before they nozzles are staring you in the face. It will be much harder to take a stand then if you haven't completely thought through the issue now. Again, my recommendation: this is not dairy. But not everyone is quite so flexible, morally speaking, as me.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    My ironman friends' advice on biking: light yourself up like an Xmas tree when you're out in the dark. I don't ride much more than the occasional mile through quiet neighborhoods, but train with lots of Ironmen & women. I've heard too many stories of cyclists being run off the road or hit, particularly in the dark. The "Xmas light" guy wears body lights in addition to the usual headlight and taillight. Be bright, be safe.
    Quote Originally Posted by __steve__
    I used to commute a bike around and had several close calls and a few times actually being hit. Just keep one thing in mind:

No matter how lighted or visible you are, always consider yourself unseen by motorist.
    Thankfully 90% of my commute is on the bike path.
    When I do get hit by a car (I live in the suburbs - plan for the inevitable) I hope I their car up something fierce. Whether or not its from hitting me.
    Quote Originally Posted by jim thornton
    I must admit, when I saw this picture, and then read you had lived on a farm, I wondered if the change you had in mind was becoming one of those adorable girls on Little House on the Prairie.

It is, of course, a dream of mine, especially since I would be once again allowed by USMS to wear a full body suit, albeit one without zippers.

But then I said to myself, "Jim, I think you are projecting. I doubt very much Michael shares your dream."

Two other tidbits of advice from an older guy who has been around the block a couple times.

1. Beds. Consider, for the time being, getting an airbed from Campmor catalog. My son got one for college and finds it quite comfortable. Eventually, when you get a real bed, you can keep this one as a back up for friends who visit. Granted, you might all want to share one giant bed. But sometimes a guy just isn't up for a menage a siete and has to tell two of the friends to find another place to lay down.

B. I realize this doesn't happen too often, but once in a blue moon you will run into a woman who is lactating. I think it is very important to decide right now if you consider this dairy or not. I personally would recommend not considering it dairy. But either way, decide now before they nozzles are staring you in the face. It will be much harder to take a stand then if you haven't completely thought through the issue now. Again, my recommendation: this is not dairy. But not everyone is quite so flexible, morally speaking, as me.

Jimslie - sometimes I think you fail to remember that I am a Thornton for a reason. Moral flexibility is the reason I actually use the motto "Well it SEEMED like a good idea at the time". If something can be successfully rationalized using sound logic, then I'm all for it. That being said, having lived with a woman who had a baby and breast fed. I giggle quite readily but dismissed the idea immediately only on the grounds that there is a less than 1% chance I am to run into that situation within the next 2 months.

Most importantly if a menage a siete ever came about - not only would I welcome it, but I would also video tape it and post it somewhere for you specifically Jimslie (I might even call in the middle of it for the "raw" experience. For now - it'll just have to happen on my couch.

Finally - don't worry about projecting. We all have those moments where we dream of dancing through the flowers on the prairie in a blue dress while Pa is plowing the field with the oxen.....

Suddenly I have an urge to play Oregon Trail.....
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Congrats.

My advice on beds: either save and get the best you can get (Tempurpedic) or get a futon bed. I slept on futons through grad school and the early years of my marriage and they were great. We then moved to a 'traditional' beds for like 15 years and they all stunk until we splurged on a Tempurpedic.
    Thanks! Like I said this is a very exciting time for me! I'm VERY pumped.
    As far as beds go - American Mattress Factory has a sale I'm going to check out today. We'll see where that gets me. If nothing is good - no loss. I still love that couch. Futons and I do not get along however. I don't know if its just because I've always been so heavy, but they've been just HORRIBLE on my back. (Soft beds are no different for me either.)