View RSS Feed

bzaks1424

A Non-Dairy Diet

Rate this Entry
So its 9/30/2010. To everyone else - just another day. To me - my last day for the next 2 months allowing dairy consumption.

So to clarify - I have NOT gone off the proverbial deep end on this. I have researched this and am responding to a challenge from another [ame="http://forums.usms.org/member.php?u=17973"]U.S. Masters Swimming Discussion Forums[/ame]. This all started as an argument on this thread and I've decided I would use my own body as a testing grounds.

So here are the bounds of this diet:
  • When I say "non-dairy" I specifically mean "non-lactose". My whey protein has milk products in it and is an essential part of my diet. It however does not contain lactose, the common element that most people are allergic to.
  • This will last exactly 2 months. That means I will miss all dairy contributions to my diet over Thanksgiving. I'm aware of that and am okay with it.
  • The only exception to this rule is when someone else feeds me. I will not ask people to make exceptions in their cooking as a means to serve my needs. That being said - if the food is served family style or buffet style, I will avoid the dairy products at the table.
  • Finally - I will post a daily status of how I feel and any relevant non-dairy things I find (such as food replacements) on this blog. I suggest you all read it and comment as I will need the encouragement to do the daily status updates.

If you have thoughts comments or suggestions - please see my first posting here.

Submit "A Non-Dairy Diet" to Digg Submit "A Non-Dairy Diet" to del.icio.us Submit "A Non-Dairy Diet" to StumbleUpon Submit "A Non-Dairy Diet" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

You know this, there is a difference between an allergy to milk and an intolerance. I am lactose intolerant and even the enzyme tablets don't negate the effect.

I do not think whey is exempt. Whey protein isolate is better. But if you are lactose/milk intolerant, I think whey will still bother you. I cut it out of my diet, as I've been having food allergy/intolerance issues. Now that I have a clearer understanding of what I am actually allergic to, I may try adding it back in small doses. But I have basically replaced whey protein with hemp protein. Hemp protein is very healthy, but I understand whey is superior for building muscle and muscle recovery.

Good luck with your experiment.

I hate Thanksgiving and all the foods associated with it.
    Once you stop drinking the liquid milk for that long you may find you are weaned. Told to stop drinking it for taper in college, I went from nearly a gallon a day to my current gallon per year, and have never missed it.

Cheese is another story. Hmmmmm!
    Quote Originally Posted by bsherm81
    Once you stop drinking the liquid milk for that long you may find you are weaned. Told to stop drinking it for taper in college, I went from nearly a gallon a day to my current gallon per year, and have never missed it.

Cheese is another story. Hmmmmm!
    Fortunately, aged cheese is lactose free!
    didn't realize that...it's what I prefer too!
    that Ivy league education sure is helpful!
    To be perfectly honest- I'm pretty sure I don't have any problems with dairy what so ever... in fact the times I do actually consume dairy, I'm mildly convinced I feel BETTER. That will be shown though later I'm sure.

I just posted to my blog again this afternoon

I've taken your whey comment and actually posted some logic behind it. I feel that that protein is a necessary dietary additive at this time, so until I can find something better, and until I'm out of the 2 pound container I just bought, I'm going to stay with my whey. (Very Very Tasty Whey)
    Dairy products don't agree with me. However, I am right there with you on the need for additional protein. I buy canisters of Gensoy Soy Protein Shake mix from Jewel. I add three scoops of it to a tall glass of soy milk every morning for breakfast. It tastes good (I alternate between chocolate and vanilla flavor) and I can tell the difference it makes. If you want to try something different after finishing your 2 lb. container of whey, then I suggest this.