broomstick twists, 25
windshield wipers, 25
flutter kicks on back on bosu, 50
streamline hold on back on bosu, 1:00
one footed push ups on bar, 25
ab crunches w/25 lb plate held overhead, 25
(pop shoulders off ground on these)
power wheel roll outs, 25

Hammer Strength Iso lateral Hi Row, 140 x 1 x 8, 150 x 1 x 8, 160 x 1 x 8, 170 x 1 x 8, 180 x 1 x 8, 190 x 1 x 6, 200 x 1 x 3*

*My recollection is that this is a PR for me. I haven't used this machine in ages, but I used it frequently when I began my real strength training phase in 2008. I like it, so I plan to do it more frequently. Not really sure how I pulled that much weight as I started the day still gassed from the LT set and events of the night.

reverse scoop, 30 x 2 x 10
cable twist w/yoga ball, 50 x 1 x 15, each side, 60 x 1 x 15, each side
lunges w/25 lb DBs, 2 x 15
standing broad jump, 10
twisting med ball slams, 15
extreme angle isometric squat hold, 5:00
(Finally got to 5 minutes, now I am supposed to add weight.)
extreme angle isometric push up hold, 1:45

RC Work

Yoga:

30 minutes of yoga and stretching

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

I originally planned to do a slow swim today after the yoga. But I didn't feel like getting in a pool and took my time doing the drylands instead. So that's on the schedule for tomorrow.

October may be somewhat trying as Mr. Fort is going to be AWOL on a trial almost the whole time. And last night, after getting home from Mini's volleyball game, I got a call as I was putting Lil Fort to bed that Mini's coach was taking her to the ER for a possible neck injury. Apparently, in school sports, this is now SOP whenever there's an injury to the head or neck. I saw her diving for the ball during the game, but didn't realize that she was hurt. And she didn't tell her coach she was; her coach calls her his "most intense competitor." Thankfully, the scans were negative. After getting her home and getting her drugs, I didn't get to bed until quite late. Jimslie would be just appalled at what extensive users of the health care system we are these days.

Soccer, a cross country invitational and Homecoming are tomorrow. And my house is the base for Homecoming pictures. Never a dull moment.

Submit "Friday, Oct. 1" to Digg Submit "Friday, Oct. 1" to del.icio.us Submit "Friday, Oct. 1" to StumbleUpon Submit "Friday, Oct. 1" to Google

Updated October 1st, 2010 at 11:11 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Yoga

Comments

Oh wow- I hope Ali is OK! Hopefully she's just a little sore and will be back as a fierce competitor soon enough. Laura had her share of injuries playing vball- it's a rough sport for being "non-contact."
    Those are some very heavy weights. Looks as if you'll be stronger this year than last. Off to a new plateau. I wonder if swimmers are more adept at the pulling motion machines?

For some reason I can do 10 pull downs of the full stack on the seated lat pull machine. But can't do nearly that on any of the others.

Yep indoor volleyball can be surprisingly dangerous. I started volunteer work with our local ambulance and we took in a 15 year old who fractured her upper arm from just diving at the net. No one could believe it was that bad.
    And my 11yo just started volleyball.

Glad your daughter is okay.
    Pack a bicycle helmet in her volleyball bag and tell her if she is going to keep landing on her head, she has to wear the helmet.

Glad that nothing serious resulted, and I wish you the best of luck maintaining your sanity tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by quicksilver
    Those are some very heavy weights.
    I think you're lifting more on that machine than I am. Now I'll have to use it tonight and see how I do. I usually add weights/reduce reps a little differently, but maybe I'll try your way.

Hope all is OK! Some days I wonder how you're able to workout at all, given all the activities your family is involved in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedo
    Oh wow- I hope Ali is OK! Hopefully she's just a little sore and will be back as a fierce competitor soon enough. Laura had her share of injuries playing vball- it's a rough sport for being "non-contact."
    She is very sore and rather b*tchy at the moment. But I think she'll be fine in a few days. Yeah, it seems like someone on the team is always injured.
    Quote Originally Posted by quicksilver
    Those are some very heavy weights. Looks as if you'll be stronger this year than last. Off to a new plateau. I wonder if swimmers are more adept at the pulling motion machines?

For some reason I can do 10 pull downs of the full stack on the seated lat pull machine. But can't do nearly that on any of the others.

Yep indoor volleyball can be surprisingly dangerous. I started volunteer work with our local ambulance and we took in a 15 year old who fractured her upper arm from just diving at the net. No one could believe it was that bad.
    The word fracture is an awful graphic word, isn't it? Such horrible connotations ...

I think we swimmers are much better at the pulling exercises. I'm not nearly as good at pushing, as my fairly pathetic bench press reveals.

Not sure if I'll be stronger this year, but trying now. Thus far in 2010, I've been weaker as I focused more on core & conditioning than pure strength and got away from some basic strengthening exercises. I think if I add a few back in it could make a difference. Right now, though, I'm not sure what to make of or expect of my times. Too many factors at work.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain

I wish you the best of luck maintaining your sanity tomorrow.
    Thanks Q. I may have a tenuous grip on sanity for a month, I fear. I need to plan some "happiness" trips. Indy will be a start.
    Quote Originally Posted by scyfreestyler
    And my 11yo just started volleyball.
    That's a good age to start. Mini didn't start until 15. Despite the injuries, volleyball is a very fun sport. It's a game, after all, unlike swimming. Not nearly so arduous.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    I think you're lifting more on that machine than I am. Now I'll have to use it tonight and see how I do. I usually add weights/reduce reps a little differently, but maybe I'll try your way.

Hope all is OK! Some days I wonder how you're able to workout at all, given all the activities your family is involved in.
    If my kids didn't attend school, I wouldn't be able to compete.

I'm sure you could pull more than me on that machine. I had no idea what I was doing with the reps. I started at 140 because I thought, erroneously, that it would be more challenging. Next time, I'll start at a higher weight.

How do you handle adding weight/reducing reps? Probably just better to add weight from session to session rather than within one session?
    I purposely lifted more than you on that machine last night. Evidently I've been slacking.

Also, one of my gym rat friends was there last night and gave me some great tips on forearms/wrists. I'll post later today when I'm on my flight back to Phoenix...so long as I make it to/fr Raleigh in one piece.
    Great!

I think it's easy to inadvertently slack.

How much did you pull?