View RSS Feed

Chicken's Nuggets

Scrambled Eggs

Rate this Entry
This morning I decided to join the guys from Openwaterchicago.com at North Avenue beach for a dip in the lake.

This is the sight that greeted me!

The bright orange thing is the ladder we normally use to climb up out of the lake

There were 4 of us there, including one real, honest to goodness Channel swimmer whose name I can't remember. The Channel swimmer, claiming to be hung-over, took a flying leap into the lake and started swimming. Shamefaced, the remaining 3 of us jumped in.

The water was quite nice, really. About 60 degrees, which was quite a bit warmer than the air temperature.

Not all the waves were this big:

I bobbed around and swam a little bit. The exit worried me, but turned out to be pretty easy. Just ride a little wave in, grab the ladder and cling!!!!

Here's some video of the others having fun after I'd made my escape.
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XEd1dnbiWg"]YouTube - VID00182[/nomedia]

All in all, a fun morning.

Submit "Scrambled Eggs" to Digg Submit "Scrambled Eggs" to del.icio.us Submit "Scrambled Eggs" to StumbleUpon Submit "Scrambled Eggs" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ahh the windy city! looks like fun. 70 degree water at brighton beach today. don macdonald was planning to do a 6 hour qualifier this weekend but... too windy. do you know him?
    was the channel swimmer john or michael?
    and whats with the wetsuits?
    It was someone called Mike, I think! He knew Suzie Dods and many CIBBOWS too. Tall guy.
    I'm still blissfully wetsuit-free, and as insulated as a baby harp seal. Watching out for Newfies.
    You are nuts!!!!!!
    But I wish I had the guts to join you!
    Brava! Wow! The Point Warriors (per evmo) stayed in bed this morning. But some folks were surfing off the beach in the afternoon!

(Bobinator, come on up and join the fun!)
    You are one brave Chicken!
    Swimming in that looks like fun in a twisted, masochistic sort of way.
    My god, that takes some kangaroo balls!

Excellent vlog entry, Amanda. 97 views in 14 hours. If you see the Buddha in the road, kill her.

Sorry.
    My thingy only says 96, so your viewing must still be under consideration.
    Are you wearing your orange towel again?
    Just ride a little wave in, grab the ladder and cling!!!!
    Danger! Will Robinson.

The swells don't look so bad...it's getting impaled where the water meets the asphalt. That could get a little gnarly.
    these might be some of the coolest blog pictures ever.

wish I had my boogie board!
    Here's what Amanda missed this morning at Promontory Point:

Getting in:
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz0jaxwXnIE"]YouTube - October Point swim - getting in[/nomedia]

Getting out:
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kdll78tF1r0"]YouTube - October Point swim - getting out[/nomedia]

Water temp 58F, air temp 50F. 6 foot swells. Fun times had by all!
    Crap! that looked awesome. I hate that I slept in!
    Was that Ruth Ann? did you go in?
    Yep, that's her. I got in for a few minutes with 4-5 others. Ruth-Anne came late so I was able to take the video. The main issue wasn't so much the cold but the swells... I don't think I could have found the pier if I wanted to.
    It's a lot harder getting in and out at Promontory with all those shallow rocks. At least it's quite deep at Ladder #1 so you can just jump.
    Are you guys really from this planet?

And to hear lap swimmers groan about water in the low 70's must make you snicker.

That was incredible.
    I noticed I hadn't commented yet. WTF is wrong with me.

I am very happy to see you back in the water again, even if you should have been surfing in a wetsuit instead of swimming, I am happy for you.

Are all insane people happy?
    Quote Originally Posted by evmo
    Here's what Amanda missed this morning at Promontory Point:

Getting in:
    YouTube - October Point swim - getting in

Getting out:
    YouTube - October Point swim - getting out

I like how you can see the hull of the Edmund Fitzgerald in the trough of the larger waves.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    I noticed I hadn't commented yet. WTF is wrong with me.

I am very happy to see you back in the water again, even if you should have been surfing in a wetsuit instead of swimming, I am happy for you.

Are all insane people happy?
    Thanks Qbrain! I'm trying to put my swimming funk behind me and sign up for fun events. Am achieving personal-worst times at the moment but having fun.

I'm doing Swim the Suck in Tennessee in 2 weeks time. A Point to point come join us!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jim thornton
    I like how you can see the hull of the Edmund Fitzgerald in the trough of the larger waves.
    I wanted to set my youtube videos of Saturday's swim to the "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald", but couldn't figure out how to do it in the 5 minute period of time that is my concentration span.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast