View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Wed., Jan. 28

Rate this Entry
All county schools are closed, but, happily, all county rec centers and pools are open!

Warm up:

400 swim
200 kick
400 IM drill

4 x 75 free @ 1:15, 5 dolphin kicks off each wall, maintaining a 6 beat kick

Main set:

4 x 100 back @ 1:40
1 x 50 back AFAP + 50 EZ @ 2:00
4 x 100 backstroke kick @ 1:50
2 x 50 fly, 90%, @ 1:30 (ugh, fly felt dreadful)
4 x 100 back w/fins @ 1:45, descend to fast and negative split (got down to 1:01) + 50 EZ
3 x 50 back @ 200 pace @ 1:00
4 x 100 back w/fins @ 1:45, descend and negative split (got down to 1:01) + 50 EZ
4 x 50 back, did this as a broken 200 with 10 seconds rest at each 50, tried to even split, was a tad fast on the first 50

200 EZ

Speed set:

8 x 25 free AFAP + 25 easy
no interval, probably did them on 3:00 or so as ehoch and JMiller recommend for this set

200 EZ

Total: 4350

Random thoughts:

Felt sluggish and times were slower than usual. I'm wondering if this was because I got a deep tissue massage yesterday? (I got in for one yesterday since there was a cancellation. )

I was scanning my workouts over the last few months (a key benefit to blogging). I've noticed that I've done quite a few workouts exceeding 4000. I never did this pre-Austin. My shoulders don't seem to object to it as much. I'm thinking the weights keep them happier.

On the other hand, I feel a bit more broken down than usual. Might have overdone the weights last week. So a longer, 2 week taper is probably indicated. Planning on starting Saturday, which is an off day for me. I'll practice Sunday with my team, but probably move down a lane or two.

Sent in my entries for Auburn finally. (Actually put them in the mail without a stamp the first time. Duh!) I'm swimming the same line up as Austin:

Sat: 100 IM, 50 free, 50 fly
Sun: 100 fly, 50 back, 200 back (for 100 split)

I don't have as much time as I'd like between the 100 IM-50 free and 100 fly-50 back. I'm hoping a lot of people enter this meet.

My times in Austin were:

100 IM, 1:06.8
50 free: 25.9
50 fly: 27.6
100 fly: 1:04.2
50 back: 29.3
100 back: 1:04.7

Those were all PBs at the time except for the 50 free. I've already gone faster than the 50 times at a couple meets last Sept and Oct:

50 free: 25.5
50 back: 29.1
50 fly: 27.3

and been right on my prior 100 times.
The times were done on 3 day mini-tapers with a B70.

Hoping to go all PBs if I don't fall down the stairs, get bronchitis, miss a turn, or something equally insidious.

Submit "Wed., Jan. 28" to Digg Submit "Wed., Jan. 28" to del.icio.us Submit "Wed., Jan. 28" to StumbleUpon Submit "Wed., Jan. 28" to Google

Updated February 10th, 2009 at 10:24 AM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

You probably are not tracking this, otherwise it would be in your blog posts too, but your resting heart rate will tell you if you are broken down. It is one of those things that I have thought, hey I should track that, then don't.

An elevated resting heart rate in an indication that your body is working harder than normal to recover. Since you don't have a baseline, it won't be much on an indicator, but if you start tracking it...
    Yeah, I never track my heart rate. I'm a completely unscientific intuitive swimmer. Having a blog at least forces me to be somewhat methodical and keep track of my workouts.

I woke up feeling great. I think the sluggishness is just residual soreness from weights/chiro/deep tissue. At least I hope.
    I think a deep tissue massage the day before would definitely make you more sluggish. They have always had that affect on me!
    Thanks TJ. Good to know I'm not totally off base.
    Wow! Your times are astounding...what a swimmer.
    Good luck in Auburn.
    Massaging releases a lot of waste into the body. Hydrating well and drinking green tea to flush the toxins out will help.
    Drinking water and green tea like crazy, Rich.
    Which Rec Center did you go to???
    I swam at Springhill Rec in McLean. But OakMarr was open today too.
    Yeah, I was at Oak Marr tonight. That pool really isn't that bad! I've never been to Springhill and I'm not a huge fan of Audrey Moore.
    I don't like Audrey Moore either. Or Providence. Oak Marr isn't bad at all, but the air quality is iffy sometimes ... I know Barb sometimes has trouble breathing there ... Spring Hill is the best one. Water temp is cool thanks to the Fish and good air quality. It was pretty deserted today. When I went to pick up my kid from practice at Oak Marr, it was much more crowded than Spring Hill ...
    I like Oak Marr. Obviously I'm not worthy enough to be taken to hoighty-toighty McClean so I can't compare...
    I'll take you to SpringHill if you really want, dear. It's just a much further drive from Fairfax. lol