View RSS Feed

bzaks1424

SoSC Post Mortem

Rate this Entry
So in the wake of the project that has been waking me up at 5 in the morning and working until 6 PM most nights, I'm finally free of some responsibility until things start breaking... Which means I may have about 10-15 minutes to type this out.

So my day at the meet was definitely a crazy one. I walked in the door at 7:30 and was told I was announcing the meet! (Who would've guessed I'm good at talking?). I was also asked to sing the Nation Anthem ( Something else I think I'm good at ).

After singing the National Anthem and announcing the first event, I immediately jump up on the blocks. Time for the 400 Free!

But I digress from the whole point of this post - Lessons Learned, times reviewed, etc...

400m Free
So before this race - my friend Chad was kind enough to count for me. Here's the talk we had
Chad: So when I go like this (waves the counter side to side) it means swim faster.
Me: Okay, and if I don't?
Chad: It means I'm going to throw the counter at you the next time down.
So coming off the blocks, I was ready for this race, first race of the day and I was warm enough to rock it. Within seconds of my dive in - I recognize VERY quickly: I have forgotten to tie my suit. A quick peak at my splits show that I was coasting relatively easily (I should've been doing minimum 0:45 per 50) as per my fear of losing my VERY classy suit. During my final 100, Chad waved the counter, and you'd better believe I started moving a lot harder!
Result
Goal Time: ~7:00.00
Final Time: 6:30.27
Beat my goal time! This made me very happy, but in retrospect, I could've probably swam a 6:00 had I had my suit tied and I wasn't so nervous.
BORKED

50m Free
The 50 free went well, my SDK off the walls wasn't awful and I just got up on the water and started swimming (Thanks knelson).
Result
Seed Time: 36.60
Goal Time: < 36.00
Final Time: 36.14
I was happy to have swam it faster than my seed, but I would have been happier to break 36.
BORKED

200m Medley Relay
Now - of all strokes - I swam the 50 breast during our 200m Medley Relay. If any of you have been following this - you know that breast stroke is easily my worst stroke. And the others are pretty bad as well. In any case - I was voted "most likely to be best breast stroker on our relay"
Results
Split Seed Time: 58.57 (my 50 Breast seed)
Goal Time: Survival
Split Time: N/A
My goggles flooded, but only half way. So The entire race I was forced to keep my head down to see... It actually worked really well for me.
BORKED

50m Breast
I swam this 50 about 10 minutes after the Relay above.
Results
Seed Time: 58.57
Goal Time: 59.57
Final Time: 53.59
I can't complain! That was pretty good all things considered! I wish I knew which was faster - my relay or my individual event. I'm actually betting it was the individual. I actually got in two full pullouts on this one.
BORKED

100m IM
I was finally starting to feel the fatigue by this point. It had been a long day with absolutely no swim downs... mainly because the minute I was done swimming - I had to go and start announcing back at the table again. So I just did my best to keep my body warm and mental energy up.
Results
Goal Time: < 2:00.00
Final Time: 1:47.77 DQ
I flip turned on my back to breast stroke transition. Won't do that again!
BORKED

200m Free Relay
I lead off the relay. It was a FANTASTIC time. My only kludge was as I was coming back down from the first flip turn, I forgot that the 2nd person diving in would dive in from the side, not the blocks, so I had to veer from one side of the lane to another.
Results
Split Seed Time: 36.14 (my 50 free seed)
Goal Time: <36
Split Time: 37.99
I was super disappointed in that time. Especially since I looked the board and thought I saw 34.**. Oh well - there's always next time.
BORKED

50m Backstroke
I swam this 50 about 10 minutes after the Relay above.
Results
Seed Time: 52.61
Goal Time: Survival - Not to become a flooded kayak
Final Time: 53.81
Well, that was event #7 for the day. I was completely cashed. When I came up after the flip on the 25, I came up tangled in the lane line and was completely disoriented. So so a survival race it was. I would've liked to have beaten my seed time, but that wasn't going to happen that day.
BORKED

All in all
All in all - a great race day. I was happy with my results and I knew I would get another shot in a week at the GRIN Fall Classic (Post Mortem coming very soon!).
For those of you who missed the meet:

Submit "SoSC Post Mortem" to Digg Submit "SoSC Post Mortem" to del.icio.us Submit "SoSC Post Mortem" to StumbleUpon Submit "SoSC Post Mortem" to Google

Updated November 2nd, 2010 at 08:43 AM by bzaks1424

Categories
Masters Swim Meets / Events

Comments

Classy suit! - not that I was looking at anything that indicated classiness,,,,not at all,,,,i just mean...I could tell...I mean...oh never-mind!

What a crazy day - decent times even with all the running around! Nice job!
    Love the suit! The videos are good. One thing I noted on your breast, glide a bit more. Just a hair of a second more and it might help a bit.

Great job this weekend. You had a lot of events and did really well.
    Quote Originally Posted by swimshark
    Great job this weekend. You had a lot of events and did really well.
    That was actually the 24th! I haven't even blogged about this last weekend! I'm trying to find time for that! :-D
    Quote Originally Posted by gigi
    Classy suit! - not that I was looking at anything that indicated classiness,,,,not at all,,,,i just mean...I could tell...I mean...oh never-mind!

What a crazy day - decent times even with all the running around! Nice job!
    Just wait til you hear about this last weekend! That made the 24th look like an easy day!
    Quote Originally Posted by bzaks1424
    That was actually the 24th! I haven't even blogged about this last weekend! I'm trying to find time for that! :-D
    Oh, I didn't even notice the date on there. Well, get to posting, kid!
    You KNOW I'm proud of you, Michael! Keep on working if you want to beat me in grudge matches, though, because I still have all your times beat! But, having said that, I would have NEVER survived what you did that day. The PTC Pentathlon was about as much as I could handle!

Congratulations!