View RSS Feed

bzaks1424

GRIN Fall Classic! A Lesson in Survival!

Rate this Entry
*Ladies and Gentlemen! Boys and Girls! Come one and come all to see - the guy who thinks he can keep going endlessly! Its comical to say the least, he's built like an ox and just about as dumb as one too!*

So this last weekend I swam in the GRIN Fall Classic at the most beautiful pool in the world - the IUPUI Natatorium in Indianapolis, IN. The GRIN Fall Classic had roughly 80-100 people there, so it was a nice sized meet!
Since the meet was 2 days, I was able to swim 10 full events! My events on day 1 were: 800m Free, 200m Free, 50m Back, 50m Free, and the 50m Fly. My events on day 2 were: 1500m Free, 100m Back, 100m IM, 50m Breast, and the 100m Free. In retrospect - I'm glad I did it, but I would've probably spent more time warming down and relaxing in between events - instead of none. My inexperience and own false logic betrays me at times.

So anywho- the meet in review.
800m Free
Splits: 51.45, 51.62, 52.09, 52.07, 51.71, 51.92, 52.77, 51.00, 50.77, 48.14
Final Time: 13:30.11
I took this swim nice and easy. It was the very first swim of the meet, and I had only done about a 3-400 warmup. I figured this would be a great warmup swim and get me ready for the next four races I had.
I didn't swim this with any particular goal in mind, I was just keeping my 400m race from the week before in mind the entire time (~6:30) and wanted to come close to double that (13:00 even). So when I finished at 13:30.11 - I was pretty happy with myself! I mean - that's not too bad - losing only 30 seconds over an extra 400 after only having swam for 10 months...

200m Free
Splits: 41.96, 46.29, 48.20, 46.86
Final Time: 3:03.31
About 2 minutes before I had to get on the blocks I walked over the Nadine Day
Me: "How do you race a 200?"
ND: "First 50 easy, 2nd and 3rd build, last 50 all out."
Me: "So basically slow, slow, slightly less slow, fastish... got it."
Coach said my splits for that were pretty awesome. So I think I'm going to try and do that again.

50m Back
Final Time: 52.22
In comparison with my last meet time of 53.81 - I should be really happy with the 1 second improvement! With the exception that when I swam it long course it was 53.21. Ha! Looks like I have a LOT of improving to do.

50m Free
Final Time: 35.36
Please note - that was almost a 1 second drop from my 50 free the week before. That race rocked something FIERCE! I was so pumped when I saw that 35 on the board.

50m Fly
Final Time: 47.19
I feel like I do okay in fly... Its definitely better than my backstroke and breast stroke! I'm sure if I spent longer on it, I'd probably see some impressive gains on it. My SDK is starting to get much stronger so I'm hoping to see some bigger improvements in fly as a result. This was also my last event of the day - I don't think I was too terribly tired at this point. I could've done two more events that day!

1500m Free
Splits: 42.81, 49.39, 50.57, 50.58, 51.88, 51.19, 51.85, 51.30, 52.25, 51.71, 51.53, 51.25, 51.89, 51.11, 51.97, 51.88, 52.20, 50.48, 51.93, 51.99, 52.03, 51.97, 51.73, 52.61, 52.59, 51.82, 52.61, 52.76, 51.43, 49.03
Final Time: 25:38.34
I'm really proud of this time. My split deviations are barely over 1 second between any two 50s! I thought that regardless of how slow I was - that was really impressive to maintain such a consistent rhythm! This race did start to suck about 700 into it. I remember seeing the "29" on the counter and thinking "Oh my God, I still have 30 some odd laps to go!" When I finished this race, I was COMPLETELY dead. It took me longer to get out of the pool after this race than it ever has.

100m Back
Splits: 51.86, 55.59
Final Time: 1:47.45
This race hurt a lot. It was nearly an hour or so after the 1500, so one would think I was rested enough... apparently I was too rested, because I totally napped.

100m IM
Splits: 46.60, 59.94
Final Time: 1:46.54
This race was okay for the first 50, but then when I had to keep swimming for the 25 breast, I could barely get my arms around. Since I'm primarily a front end breast stroker (because my kick is still pretty useless - I'm working on it... give me time!) so I'm pretty sure I lost a lot of time as a result. I also didn't pull out because I was dying for O2 by that point as well.

50m Breast
Final Time: 54.73
I had recovered enough to do this "decently" I was still pretty tired though. At this point I was already trying to constantly convince myself not to scratch the rest of my events.

100m Free
Splits: 38.82, 45.82
Final Time: 1:24.64
So right before the race I was talking to the nice lady who was doing my counting and she said "You put 1:30 here, but I think you can honestly do better. I want to see you do 1:25". Well - I'm one who REALLY hates to disappoint people, no matter how exhausted I am. So when she said 1:25, I was going to go 1:25 even if it killed me. It nearly did too! The first 75 weren't AWFUL, not great, but not awful... that last 25 though was just insanely hard. However - at the end of the race when I'm hanging on for dear life on the end of the lane, she tells me I went a 1:24.... That was a GREAT feeling. Even if I normally swim between 1:25 and 1:30 on my 100s in practice in SCY, it was still fun to break a goal someone set for me.

So that was my weekend. My 3.5 hour drive home was almost doubled in length when I pulled off at a rest area and passed out for two more hours. What a great nap though!
Next Meet 12/4. The Question is: Valpo Indiana and the early morning meet in a new pool? Or West Bend Wisconsin and the afternoon meet at the high school pool? Thoughts? Suggestions?

Submit "GRIN Fall Classic! A Lesson in Survival!" to Digg Submit "GRIN Fall Classic! A Lesson in Survival!" to del.icio.us Submit "GRIN Fall Classic! A Lesson in Survival!" to StumbleUpon Submit "GRIN Fall Classic! A Lesson in Survival!" to Google

Comments

I can't believe you swam all those events. Way to go. Your splits on the 1500 are very impressive. I don't hold splits that well. Good job.
    But it was all worth it to swim in that pool, wasn't it?
    Quote Originally Posted by evilwatersprite
    I'll answer for him: YES.

This is my favorite pool in the whole world, bar none. You were right to go to the meet. Well done, but that is a crapload of events, particularly as I imagine there were very few heats in between each race.

Great job.
    Me: "How do you race a 200?"
    ND: "First 50 easy, 2nd and 3rd build, last 50 all out."
    Me: "So basically slow, slow, slightly less slow, fastish... got it."
    I've never been smacked by a really fast swimmer. A really cute swimmer yes, but a really fast swimmer no. How did that work out for you?

Congrats on your swims. Your 800 was split better than your 200 but the 200 is actually a more difficult race to split well in my opinion. It is the first distance where strategy is critical and strategy is difficult to implement correctly.
    Quote Originally Posted by swimshark
    I can't believe you swam all those events. Way to go. Your splits on the 1500 are very impressive. I don't hold splits that well. Good job.
    Thanks! I'm not sure how I do it to be perfectly honest. Then again - I feel TONS slower after my first couple hundred, BUT apparently I'm swimming the same speed.
    Quote Originally Posted by evilwatersprite
    Yes. Yes it is. This is my second meet in that pool, and I will make it to EVERY single masters meet in that pool or die trying!
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    I'll answer for him: YES.

This is my favorite pool in the whole world, bar none. You were right to go to the meet. Well done, but that is a crapload of events, particularly as I imagine there were very few heats in between each race.

Great job.
    Thanks! I do love this pool as well!
    As far as heats go... Day 1 was nice, not a LONG time to rest, but enough time to catch my breath and relax for a second before I was on the blocks again.

Day 2... after that mile there was no end to the amount of time I could've used.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    I've never been smacked by a really fast swimmer. A really cute swimmer yes, but a really fast swimmer no. How did that work out for you?

Congrats on your swims. Your 800 was split better than your 200 but the 200 is actually a more difficult race to split well in my opinion. It is the first distance where strategy is critical and strategy is difficult to implement correctly.
    Hahahaha! Nadine just laughed - she knew I was talking about my own inexperience. As far as getting smacked - I haven't been smacked in years, and that was by a very cute and fast runner (as my H.S. had no pool).

I will try to do the 200 that way on purpose next time!

Thanks!!!
    Updated November 4th, 2010 at 07:29 AM by bzaks1424
    You are one magnificent animal!

Keep it up.

Check out advice for swimming the 200--I think your first 50 was a wee bit too fast.

More later.
    I recommend fewer events! That was more like a workout.

Only 80-100 people? Sounds like another meet where attendance was down from last year.

Love that pool!

Good job!
    WHat a great meet for you - lots of events, great times and a great time, I'm sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by jim thornton
    You are one magnificent animal!
    Is that a "That's what she said moment?"

Either way - you're absolutely correct. Yes, Yes I am.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    I recommend fewer events! That was more like a workout.
    That was kind of the point. I'm not at a position yet where I'm going to be beating any one but myself. So I might as well push myself to a point where I can barely stand and then be stronger for it!
    Quote Originally Posted by gigi
    WHat a great meet for you - lots of events, great times and a great time, I'm sure.
    Thanks! It was a blast! I'd do it ALL again in a heart beat. Those Indy meets are the best run meets ever. I told the wonderful lady who ran the meet that I'd make the trek to those meets as long as they kept having them there until I'm 98.
    You are an ANIMAL! Oh, to be 25, again...

Correction regarding my comment about your last meet: I have you beat in everything except freestyle!

Anyway, I AM proud of you!