View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Thursday, Jan. 29

Rate this Entry
by , January 29th, 2009 at 04:43 PM (1298 Views)
Had a bit of a recovery day today, as I trained hard yesterday. The pool has been absolutely deserted the last couple days. It's hard to believe that a little snow keeps people away, but I certainly don't mind!

Warm up:

700 variety swim-kick-drill

20 x 25 US shooters w/MF
4 belly, 4 left, 4 right, 4 back, 4 fly spin drill
(smacked the top of my right hand hard on the wall coming up steeply from the last fly spin drill. not a big deal, but it bothered me during practice some.)

A lap swimmer stopped me during this set, telling me I reminded him of the movie Creature from the Deep Lagoon or Monster from the Deep Lagoon or something like that. lol

Aerobic sets:

8 x 100 @ 2:00
alternate 100 IM, 100 back
just worked on technique and good turns
(realize I've been gliding into the wall on the beast-free turn in practice and meets. need to come in faster on this turn.)

10 x 50 dolphin kick w/MF @ 1:00
5 w/ kick board, 5 on back
just cruised in around 30-31

extra 30 seconds rest

1 x 50 AFAP w/MF
went :23 (maybe faster)
fastest I've ever gone. did the first length UW on my side. maybe that's faster than on my back?

50 EZ

Speed set:

broken 100 back w/fins, 15 seconds rest at the 50 (went 28, 29-30, cramped on the second 50, should have done more recovery swimming after the kicks)

100 EZ

broken 100 back w/fins, 15 seconds rest at the 50 (went 27, 29, missed the turn on the second 50)

100 EZ

(wanted to do another broken 100, but ran out of time)

50 EZ

Total: 3050

Submit "Thursday, Jan. 29" to Digg Submit "Thursday, Jan. 29" to del.icio.us Submit "Thursday, Jan. 29" to StumbleUpon Submit "Thursday, Jan. 29" to Google

Updated February 10th, 2009 at 11:23 AM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Interestingly, the sideways dolphin kicks (like Misty Hyman) have been proven to be very fast.
    It's supposedly faster than on the stomach. But maybe not as fast as on your back? Not sure why more people don't try it.

:22+ is really moving.
    I was kinda shocked when I looked at the clock. Could have just been that I hit my turn decently. Fast turns are tricky with the monofin.
    The video on FloSwimming showed the college swimmer kicking a :22 (for the 50) and he went a :47 for the 100.
    One stroke and breath per lap. It looked way too easy.

I bet you could easily do the same...or even faster.

It must be pretty neat to feel that kind of speed with just a kick.
    When you get your MF, you can try it yourself!

I think I'd probably have a drop off in the second 50 from the effort of staying under ...