View RSS Feed

bzaks1424

You'd think I had a job or something....

Rate this Entry
In the past several weeks, I've had to make some adjustments to my workout. Work is finally starting to ramp up and attempt that "utilization to his full potential" crap that the authority figures in my life have always talked about (Parents... teachers... professors... coaches... etc...) Which has ultimately lead to a rise in the number of hours working.

For about 2 straight weeks I was driving down to Oak Park outside of Chicago. So this would cut into my sleep schedule and thus my morning lifts were gone. Instead - they were replaced with the 80-90 MPH drive down 294 and 290. I think most people didn't even see my car, it was more of a silver blur at 6 in the morning.

For those two weeks, I was unable to lift at all, and I was lucky to make practice. Sleep was cut to about 4-5 hours per night, and maybe an hour before practice (if I was lucky). I made it through those two weeks and straight into the Sink Or Swim Classic and another week of more of the same and shot immediately into the GRIN Fall Classic. As you all saw - I did really well for me.

Well starting after the GRIN Fall Classic I was "able" to jump back into lifting. The problem was - I wasn't falling asleep after practice. I had also gotten used to sleeping in a little (til 6:00 AM instead of getting up at 5:00 AM) as a result of my travels and not lifting. So I've adjusted my workout schedule AGAIN.
Trying to double up on lifting/swimming on days where I have to work just seem relatively useless since I was always just so exhausted. I felt like my work, my workouts and my swims were all suffering as a result of the schedule.

So now:
Swim:Sunday 7:30-9:00 PM, Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday 8:30-9:30 PM
Lift: Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday (Sunday will be optional)
Core: 6 Days a week with a floating free day.

I lift now whenever its convenient (Evenings on Mondays and Fridays). My new gym has a massive collection of weights and machines. So if I can't find something to do - I'm obviously not using my creativity.
I wake up almost every morning between 6 and 6:30. That means I can eat a light breakfast and be ready to do core by 7:00 AM. I make sure I put in at least a half an hour of straight core work. I enjoy it because it gives me an endorphin rush in the morning, preps my mind for the day and helps to maintain the efforts I've taken so far in my swimming.
I think its a pretty ambitious plan, but I also think I can handle it pretty well. I'm currently 8 days in and so far so good

My next meet and the rundown has been decided! I will be swimming at the West Bend Short Course Meters Meet. I'll be swimming the 50 fly, 200 free, 50 breast, 200 IM, and finally - the 1500 Free. There will be more on that later though. I'm not ready to start blogging those goals for that meet though. That will come! This will be my first competition 200 IM!

What do you do for your workout? How do you compensate for friends/family/job/swimming?

Submit "You'd think I had a job or something...." to Digg Submit "You'd think I had a job or something...." to del.icio.us Submit "You'd think I had a job or something...." to StumbleUpon Submit "You'd think I had a job or something...." to Google

Comments

Remember when I asked you in an e-mail what you preferred to be called? I asked if you preferred "Michael" or "Mike", then threw out "Bzerk" as a play on Bzaks. Well, I am totally convinced after getting to know you pretty darn well through our back-and-forth emails and your blog posts that I should have stuck with "Bzerk"!

How do you DO all that you do? I would be loco to even attempt HALF of what you accomplish on a daily basis. Even when I was 25, I don't think I could have pulled it all off. And, I was one busy gal in my 20's!

Just make sure to take care of yourself and don't go too bzerk and BONK!

Cheers!