View RSS Feed

aztimm's training blog

Tues 11302010 workouts

Rate this Entry
by , December 1st, 2010 at 12:59 AM (480 Views)
it was quite crisp when I left home this morning. at 5:30ish it was right at 32F, but the temp dropped down further...depending which source anywhere from 25-27F. I have no idea why Chandler got stuck with far cooler temps than elsewhere in the area; typically North Scottsdale/Carefree/Cave Creek get cooler as they are at higher elevations.
anyway, I did go to the team workout at Carson pool in Mesa (where it was around 33F)
coach Andrea was on deck

I put on my goggles before I took off my sweatshirt...had all my stuff on deck waiting, once I took off my sweatshirt I kind of jumped over and dove right in the pool, swam nearly a whole 25 underwater to warm myself up.

got in 600 during open w/u

4 x 100 @ 1:30, desc 1-4
4 x 75 @ 1:15, 25 underwater kick/50 build
4 x 50 @ :45, 1 fast/1 easy x 2
4 x 25 @ :30, 1 stroke/1 free x 2

200 broken @ 50 for :10 (breast, 2:42ish)
300 pull, breathe every 5

2 x 100 broken @ 75 for 15
#1--free, 1:10
#2--breast, 1:21

300 pull, breathe every 5

4 x 50 @ 2:30
--#1-2 free (both :32)
--#3-4 non-free (breast, both :38)
--did easy 50 between each (total 150)

200 w/d

total: 3150 yards

notes--
* again my freestyle felt extremely sluggish. for a 50 fast free from a push I should be able to do 31...and a 100 should be around 1:07. not sure if the warm water (temp was 85ish) combined with cold air was a factor, but no one else seemed impacted
* and again, my breast was half decent. I can't remember the last time I did a 200 br for time, and it wasn't as horrible as I expected. of course it felt better on my arms to keep them in the water.
* after I got out (again another ordeal) and was almost done showering, I heard a blood-curling scream. evidently it was Lindsey getting out of the water and racing to the women's locker room.
* typically after swim workouts I go to Starbucks and get a protein smoothie. today I went, but was still trying to thaw out and instead opted for a macchiato. I must go too much, the manager asked, "The usual, Tim," and when I told her, "I think I want something warm," she thought it was a good idea.

I really had a tough time warming up nearly all day long. the heat was on at work, but I was still cold. I have a small heater I stash away in a cabinet in my office, I dug it out, kept my door just cracked, and cranked the heat. it was fine when I was in my office, but when I left it, I froze.

anyway, ended up doing a rare Tempe Town Lake run after work--
Time: 00:50:46
Distance: 6.04 mi
Elevation Gain: 39 ft
Calories: 810 C
Avg Pace: 08:24 min/mi
Avg Moving Pace: 08:20 min/mi
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/58469833

notes--
* I met the guy I had run with a bit over the summer. he's getting over an injury (I think ankle?), and he didn't want to do the botanical gardens/papago run, and with my race on Sunday, I figured a mostly flat run may be good.
* the worst part was crossing the Rural Road bridge. every time I do this, the wind seems extreme, especially right in the middle of the bridge. then I really had to pee, so made a pit stop at the Marina restrooms.
* as we were approaching the Mill Ave bridge, he asked if I wanted to do a loop, and I said sure. I figured he'd meant my 'extra credit' leg along the freeway, but he really meant to take Curry back to College (found out later), but we ended up along the freeway trail.
* after finally passing the Mill Bridge, it just seemed like the Priest bridge was soooo far away. seemed to take forever to get to it. the odd thing was, after crossing it (not too bad with wind), it didn't seem nearly as far getting back to Mill.

after we finished, I did a very quick little extra--
pushups: 30

two rounds of--
50 crunches
50 bicycles

planning on going to swim workout with the team tomorrow. supposedly the temp will get somewhat back to normal. then gym after work.

if weather predictions ring true, Sunday should be near ideal race conditions...low 45-50, high 70. I'm starting to get those odd aches and pains...phantom pains, similar to what happened in the days leading up to my marathon. strangely, this doesn't happen prior to swim meets tho.

a Facebook friend of mine posted this link:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/30/he...best.html?_r=1
this pretty much described me to a T. after I had my horrible bike injury when I was living in Scottsdale back in 1997, I really never got back to riding until last year. I tried a little, but just couldn't get any speed, and my distances were pitiful. when I lived in Tucson (1998-1999), I lived in a fantastic area for riding...took my bike out once, and it nearly freaked me out. I stopped running then too, and put my focus on swimming, and started with USMS.
Quite a different story -v- running, where even after my sprained ankle, and amid various other small stuff, I persist in getting out and running.

Submit "Tues 11302010 workouts" to Digg Submit "Tues 11302010 workouts" to del.icio.us Submit "Tues 11302010 workouts" to StumbleUpon Submit "Tues 11302010 workouts" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts , Running

Comments

Are you doing the Fiesta Bowl race then on Sunday? The half? My wife's doing the half. I won't be there as I'll be managing two daughters at two different sporting events in Chandler (swimming and gymnastics) that morning.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Are you doing the Fiesta Bowl race then on Sunday? The half? My wife's doing the half. I won't be there as I'll be managing two daughters at two different sporting events in Chandler (swimming and gymnastics) that morning.
    Yes doing the Fiesta Bowl half. Never done a half and not quite sure what to expect.
    Need to remember to pick up my packet on Friday. I think I seeded myself at 1:50, but hoping for closer to 1:45.
    Do you know if they have corrals or wave starts, like PF Changs?
    I have some people to tentatively run with--probably just partially (sounds like they're slower)-- let me know if your wife is looking for anyone to run with.