lower back machine, 140 x 2 x 15
squat swing w/plate, 25 x 1 x 15
reverse scoop, 25 x 2 x 15
flutter kicks on bosu, 50
long arm crunches, 2 x 50
russian twists w/plate on incline bench, 25 x 2 x 25
bicep curls, 40 x 2 x 8
extreme angle isometric squat, 3:00
(this bothered my shins, which are feeling kind of shin splinty after all that kicking with fins yesterday)

RC work, 15 minutes

Stretching, 20 minutes

Swim/SCY/Solo:

Only had an hour to swim. Did the exact opposite of yesterday.

Warm up:

700 various

Hypoxic Kick with long MF:

16 x 25 shooters
4 belly, 4 back, 4 right side, 4 left side

50 EZ

4 x broken 100 shooter
5 seconds rest at each 25, all UW

50 EZ

Speed Work:

ATP-CP Set:
10 x 25 free w/15 meter burst @ :45

-- Forgot what the RA recommended interval was for this set. They were supposed to be on 1:00, not :45. I was wondering, as it seemed too little rest given the effort level. Felt sort of out of sync on these.

100 EZ

1 x 50 back w/fins AFAP (went 25)

-- This time reflects the fact that I haven't done any speed work for 3 weeks.

200 EZ

Total: 2200/1000 kick

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

My left shoulder was a bit twinge-y, most likely from paddle use yesterday. I used the red strokemakers instead of the green ones. Probably better advised to stick with the smaller green ones. (Though I think they've disappeared in Mini Fort's equipment bag.) So I didn't do any push/pulls at the gym today and stuck with mostly core & leg work.

New Year's Resolutions:

I don't usually make these, as I'm pretty self motivated. But I think I can improve in 2 areas: go to sleep earlier and less SB/chard/pinot. I kicked this off by falling asleep at 11:30 pm last night, fairly early for me. I'm usually asleep at 12:30-1:00. I'll attempt a complete alcohol ban for awhile. I believe Speedo is doing this too until Zones? I see the benefits as improved sleep, minor weight loss, less dehydration (and hence possibly less cramping) and better absorption of vitamins.

Tentative 2011 Meets:

Very tentative revised plan, which has me at 9 meets, but 3-4 are multi-day. This is pushing it on the family front somewhat, and I doubt I'll make them all. I've never done this many travel meets before. But this gives me plenty to mull over, and I can adjust and subtract as needed. So far, there are no conflicts with Mr. Fort's running events through the marathon.

March 6, Warrenton Meet SCY
-- cruise in late to swim a couple events.

March 19, Albatross Open SCM
-- Probably rest 10 days or depending on how I feel. I suspect I'll need a major rest from training at this point.

April 16, Colonies Zones SCY
-- I'll only compete on Saturday b/c I have to leave that afternoon for Boston for the marathon.

May 20-23, Canadian Nationals SCM (Montreal)
-- Very tentative. Have to run this by Mr. Fort. This meet appeals to me b/c of location and b/c it's SCM. Need to get a link to the order of events. If I go, I'd do a full taper.

June 18-June 31, Cruise in Europe
-- This throws a real wrench in LCM Nats in early August. I can see being forced to do something in the small ship pool, while hammering the drylands and cycle.

August 4-6, LCM Nats at Auburn
-- I won't be in ideal shape for 100s with the timing of my vacation, but hopefully my speed won't disappear.

Late August, Colonies Zones, LCM, U of Md
-- Assuming we have CZ at U of Md again this year, this would be better timing for a taper meet than Auburn. The only downside is that this meet is smaller and hence less rest. Other possible complications are a week at the beach and taking Fort Son to college.

September, Savageman Triathlon
-- This year, I won't train for this event at all beyond doing 4 x 500 free one day or so. I will just hop in and go, hopefully without asthma problems this time. I have informed the two relay zealots of this fact.

October 15-16, Rowdy Gaines Classic SCM
-- Probably won't go to this if I go to Canadian Nats. But I have already run this meet by Mr. Fort. Or I could do this meet in lieu of a December meet.

October 30, Sprint Classic, GMU, SCY

Mid-December, NE Champs or CZ Champs or local Last Minute Meet, SCM

Submit "Monday, Jan. 3" to Digg Submit "Monday, Jan. 3" to del.icio.us Submit "Monday, Jan. 3" to StumbleUpon Submit "Monday, Jan. 3" to Google

Updated January 10th, 2011 at 11:34 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Planning

Comments

Please reconsider the Charlotte meet at the end of this month because I need a counter for the 1650.
    Quote Originally Posted by aquageek
    Please reconsider the Charlotte meet at the end of this month because I need a counter for the 1650.
    I'm worried I won't be in shape by then, since I've only been at it a little over a week.

Plus, Richmond is fairly close to get some racing in.

What? I have to believe half your team will be there!
    The 1650 and 1000 are in the morning session and most of my teammates find the 1650 to be a dreadful race that only dilltards swim.
    The 1650 and 1000 are in the morning session and most of my teammates find the 1650 to be a dreadful race that only dilltards swim.
    The words "morning session" are equivalent to dropping an F bomb. That's another reason for thinking you're a dilltard.
    Maybe your teammates are right?

Fort, what is up with 2 week cruises? Are you Disneying it again?

Montreal is an interesting idea, but do you have to be a poop eating savage to compete?
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Maybe your teammates are right?

Fort, what is up with 2 week cruises? Are you Disneying it again?

Montreal is an interesting idea, but do you have to be a poop eating savage to compete?
    It's 11 nights actually, but really 2 weeks with the traveling. The friends we went with last year were jonesing to go again with our girls, so we caved. I just insisted we leave earlier this time. We're visiting some really interesting places though -- Pompeii, Malta, Barcelona, Amalfi Coast, Tunisia, etc. It really compromises the summer swim season though. I'll have to be in really good shape before leaving and just do as much cardio as I can while there.

You dare to insult zee French Canadians? (Did you know my heritage is mostly French Canadian? heehee)

I actually love the Montreal idea, which a friend suggested to me. It's on the right side of the continent, cool city, fast meet, good timing, etc. I just need more details, and no info is posted yet.

When is your next meet?
    Dang, the whole year of meets planned out!

Canuck Nats in Montreal sound great ... my #2 wants to go to McGill, but she's got a few years to go. Hopefully, there'll be another meet there in a few years that I can contrive to go to under the guise of collegiate visit.

I'm glad you reminded me about the possibility of a late August LCM meet in the Colonies. Assuming I qualify for USAS Sectionals, I'll probably swim that for my first ever LCM taper meet as a Masters swimmer ... but it would be nice to have another later in the summer option.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Dang, the whole year of meets planned out!

Canuck Nats in Montreal sound great ... my #2 wants to go to McGill, but she's got a few years to go. Hopefully, there'll be another meet there in a few years that I can contrive to go to under the guise of collegiate visit.

I'm glad you reminded me about the possibility of a late August LCM meet in the Colonies. Assuming I qualify for USAS Sectionals, I'll probably swim that for my first ever LCM taper meet as a Masters swimmer ... but it would be nice to have another later in the summer option.
    I have to plan! Not that many local meets and have to consider the fam.

Haven't visited Montreal in about 20 years. But my recollection is that it was a nice city. And I'm a bit obsessed with SCM this year.
    You dare to insult zee French Canadians? (Did you know my heritage is mostly French Canadian? heehee)
    Wait, is it just the French Canadians that are poop eating savages? I will have to consult my South Park guide to international relations, but I was pretty sure it was all Canadians.

I like the Montreal idea too, bonuses being it is in May and not in a dessert with no shade.

When is your next meet?
    One step at a time. When is my first practice of the year going to be? Hopefully tomorrow, but I have not gotten up at 4am since mid December.

One step at a time. When is my first practice of the year going to be? Hopefully tomorrow, but I have not gotten up at 4am since mid December.
    I haven't gotten up at 4:00 am since I told Mini Fort I would no longer drive her to those practices, as it was killing me.

I think I've asked you this before and you said no, but is there absolutely no practice you can go to at lunchtime or after work? You would have to do it solo?
    Wait, is it just the French Canadians that are poop eating savages? I will have to consult my South Park guide to international relations, but I was pretty sure it was all Canadians.
    I know nothing about other parts of Canada except what I hear on South Park or Peter Cruise tells me.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    I haven't gotten up at 4:00 am since I told Mini Fort I would no longer drive her to those practices, as it was killing me.

I think I've asked you this before and you said no, but is there absolutely no practice you can go to at lunchtime or after work? You would have to do it solo?
    I think both USAS teams within driving distance train in the evening. The USMS teams practice in the morning.
    I think both USAS teams within driving distance train in the evening. The USMS teams practice in the morning.
    And you just don't want to do USAS again cuz it's no fun?
    I'm thinking no booze after the Super Bowl except for the Albatross Open afterparty (if there is one again). Roddin has similar tastes in terms of beer and I found that I couldn't restrain myself last year.
    And you just don't want to do USAS again cuz it's no fun?
    I am not sure I am willing to make the commitment needed to swim with the kids and of the two teams I can swim with, the one near my house doesn't have space at the pools near until the new pool opens Fall 2012.
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedo
    I'm thinking no booze after the Super Bowl except for the Albatross Open afterparty (if there is one again). Roddin has similar tastes in terms of beer and I found that I couldn't restrain myself last year.
    Hmm ... maybe I'll stick with that plan. I was also thinking of only imbibing on Friday night. But a complete ban might be better so prevent lapsing.
    I am not sure I am willing to make the commitment needed to swim with the kids and of the two teams I can swim with, the one near my house doesn't have space at the pools near until the new pool opens Fall 2012.
    Can't say I blame you. I couldn't commit to a kid's program either. But it would make you fast, e.g., see Pete. Though he was fast swimming masters too.
    Can't say I blame you. I couldn't commit to a kid's program either. But it would make you fast, e.g., see Pete. Though he was fast swimming masters too.
    It is really hard to get faster when you are as lazy as I am. I mean, there are beer drinking fishermen two age groups older than I am whipping me easily.
    It is really hard to get faster when you are as lazy as I am. I mean, there are beer drinking fishermen two age groups older than I am whipping me easily.
    Maybe less whine and more beer
    I mean, there are beer drinking fishermen two age groups older than I am whipping me easily.

He is apparently only lazy when in Maine with the French Canadians.