View RSS Feed

Workout Swimmer

Ruminations

Rate this Entry
by , January 8th, 2011 at 10:38 PM (951 Views)
I've erased all my old "blogs" and moved them to the "FLOG" page. Silly me, I thought that was what this was for!

I find that I am becoming addicted to the Discussion Forum. I've been reading it for a few years, but only started posting on it this last fall. I realized I was in the wrong place for posting my workouts when I saw something about the GTD (Go The Distance)in a post & thought I would do that too, but good grief, I don't even have the faintest idea how much I should put for my goal. My real goal is to have the guts to go to an actual swim meet! I have no idea how truly slow I am, and I'm not sure I really want to find out! What kind of times do I put on the entry form? I know I will seem like I'm sand bagging, especially in the first meet, but, there we have it - I have no idea how fast or slow I may go, and I don't want to embarrass myself!

This empty nester stuff is really getting to me. I can't really live vicariously through my son anymore, so I need to find some way to put a little extra meaning in my life. After having 5 kids, and only two of them swimmers, I kinda wish they were the first two, so I wouldn't feel so depressed. I miss talking about our workouts together, son of mine! Wish you would call home more often and share stories of your workouts, and workout buddies in college!! Fortunately, my sweet husband is, funny enough, actually interested in my goofy stories from work and the pool, and listens to me for hours. I feel like I have no direction right now. Wes & I basically "graduated" at the same time, and as he went off to college, I started my new career - but life is very empty when I come home to a very quiet house in the evening - and both my hubbie & I are on diets - so I (shouldn't) don't even get to bake treats any more!

My biggest gripes about swimming right now:
1) I have to swim in the mornings, mostly all by myself, in the dark, alone, at 5:30 AM. Plus, right now, it's **** cold outside, so it's cold & dark & lonely.
2) I don't get to swim at lunch with friends who would push me to try harder - and I also miss that camaraderie. (Hmmm, sounds a lot like gripe #1)
3) My elbows hate me. I have bilateral medial epicondylitis. I've had this for going on 15 months now. They wake me up at night, they interfere with my shopping, and doing my job, and of course, they interfere with my swimming. If they didn't hurt, I might be able to do weights. If they weren't injured, I probably would be faster, because I think I have lost some strength from the injury.

So, GOALS for the new year. These are not resolutions (like, I resolve to get to the gym more. . .) these are goals with a plan.
1) Lose the weight and get back down to 125lbs. And stay there. Less weight means, less drag in the water, and swimsuits won't have to always be black!
2) Go to at least 5 meats this year.
3) Do the 10 mile OW swim in Tennessee in September 2011
4) Figure out how to swim at lunch at least twice a week
5) Well, I would put goal times here - but I don't have a baseline, so that will have to wait. I did fairly well in the New Years 5000 swim, holding about a 1:10 for the 1:20's, and I would like to think that means I can seriously aim for under 6:00 in the 500 free - but we shall see.

~Me~

Submit "Ruminations" to Digg Submit "Ruminations" to del.icio.us Submit "Ruminations" to StumbleUpon Submit "Ruminations" to Google

Updated January 16th, 2011 at 10:40 PM by Celestial

Categories
Swim Workouts , Planning

Comments

The first meet can be scary, but don't worry about the competition. The best thing about my first meet is that every swim - no matter the time - was a personal best Enjoy it and just have fun!
    I think I would like to just race, and not see what my horridly slow time was!! I just want to enjoy the race. But if I don't look at my time, I won't know what to put on my next entry, and of course, won't be able to track my progress (if any) over time. Hmmm.
    Just do the best you can and compare your times to your times as you progress - not to the other girls in the pool who have been swimming for 20+ years. Besides, racing is fun - and addictive. Enjoy!
    Definitely look at your times from your first meet! The first meet back is a total freebie, no pressure, no worries. Just see how you do and take it (as kgernert says above) as a PB.
    And I don't know the specifics of your elbow issue, but I have lingering elbow issues from a fall I took, so I can (kind of) relate. It's tough to "swim around" an elbow problem. keep the faith - and under 6 on the 500 sounds totally doable to me!
    here is embarresment for me and i am still not discouraged.
    i swam in the huntsman senior games in october last year. one gold, one silver and 2 bronze. not bad, right? well the official times for the games came in the mail last week. with my times i would have to swim in 70 -74 year olds to have won any medals. not much competition in the 50 - 54 year old group this year. lucky for me. even knowing my times i still had fun. i am heading to houston for the senior games in june.

good luck
    I totally understand your "empty-nest" situation. My last child left for college in Florida last January and I too feel lonliness and isolation from the quiet house. I will say a great swim workout helps my attitude and I can always find someone to talk to at the pool!