View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

LT Misery, Tuesday, Feb. 1

Rate this Entry
by , February 1st, 2011 at 04:08 PM (2495 Views)
Swim/SCY/Solo:

Warm up:

800 various
5 x 50 breast @ 1:00
50 EZ
5 x 50, done as 15 burst dolphin kick + cruise
50 EZ

Lactate Tolerance Set:

10 x 50 backstroke kick w/fins @ 1:00
hold best average

Went: 24 low, 25, 25.5., 25.5, 25.5, 25.5, 26.0, 26.5, 26.0, 25.5

500 EZ

Total: 2400

10 minutes hottub

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

This lactate tolerance set is from Maglischio's Swimming Faster. I hadn't done this set in over a year (Oct. 2009). Last time I did it, I held 27.5s, but I did that after a drylands workout. Today, I was obviously much faster. I guess my kicking has improved in the last year, or been aided by the addition of the nose clip. The first one felt easy and I was surprised at the time. Then the lactic acid promptly hit on #2. Thought I was going to hurl after the last one. This set -- any lactate set really -- is extremely hard to do solo. This one is especially hard for me because it combines speed + a hypoxic element because I'm underwater so much. At least this one is only 10 minutes of hell. Didn't feel like doing anything else afterward.

Saw an interesting article in the WSJ -- "A Workout Ate My Marriage" --
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...share_facebook.

I have to confess that Mr. Fort and I seem to see much less of each other on weekends than we used to since he went back to marathon training and century bike rides and I became a more serious swimmer. But at least we're both exercising and competing now so there's not the resentment that arises when only one spouse is exercising. When my kids were young and up early, I did used to get slightly ticked when he was gone running every single morning.

And for parents of teenagers considering college in the future, check out: http://www.collegeconfidential.com/. I read some of threads last fall, and they scared the crap out of me!

I may go to bikram yoga tonight. Haven't decided yet. Will edit my blog if I do.

Submit "LT Misery, Tuesday, Feb. 1" to Digg Submit "LT Misery, Tuesday, Feb. 1" to del.icio.us Submit "LT Misery, Tuesday, Feb. 1" to StumbleUpon Submit "LT Misery, Tuesday, Feb. 1" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts , Test Sets

Comments

thanks for the college link. Gotta start focusing on that.

Great lactate set. I need to do one of those this week if I can.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    thanks for the college link. Gotta start focusing on that.

Great lactate set. I need to do one of those this week if I can.
    Just start reading "admissions" and you'll see how hard it is to get into a good school these days ...

Yeah, that set would be good for your 100s. But since you're focusing on 200s now, you should really do the 8 x 100 @ 2:00 lactate death set.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    ..., you should really do the 8 x 100 @ 2:00 lactate death set.
    good point and I will do that.