View RSS Feed

Of Swimming Bondage

4-IM video / 2-IM w-out

Rate this Entry
by , February 3rd, 2011 at 09:37 PM (81 Views)
#2 video'd my 400 IM from last weekend and I finally uploaded it here -- . Once you get past the butt shot at the start and ignore the fashion chatter between my daughter and a friend, hopefully you'll be able to give me some pointers. Things I noticed:

• Swimming in circles, especially so on breaststroke
  • I've got virtually no pull on my breast ... not squeezing my arms together on the insweep,
  • Turns are slow
  • Freestyle looked sloppy in part because I was breathing some 1-1 patterns off the turns.

Today's workout was an hour snuck in at Lifetime late in the day:

• 1 x 400: 100 200 100
  • 8 x 50: 2 each stroke on 1:00, odds kick, evens drill-swim
  • 2 rounds of:
    • 4 x 50: on 0:40, 0:35 by round
    • 1 x 50: easy on 1:00
    • 6 x 25: on 0:30, IM order in sets of 3 (1/2 fast-1/2 ez, 1/2 ez - 1/2 fast, fast)

• 7 x 200: on 3:00, build an IM in reverse
    • #1 - free
    • #2 - 50 free - 25 breast - 125 free
    • #3 - 50 free - 50 breast - 100 free
    • #4 - 50 free - 50 breast - 25 back - 75 free
    • etc.

• 4 x 50: on 1:00, IM order fastish (33,36,41,31)
  • 1 x 50: easy

TOTAL: 3,400 SCM

Commentary:

• Work kept me jumping Tuesday and Wednesday and I was feeling the laptop-hunch strain in the water today. I had envisioned swimming fast-ish today, but really ended up just working the kinks out.
  • I was really focused on squeezing my arms tighter together on my breaststroke pull and seemed to get a little more propulsion out of it. Also trying to engage my core and get some semblance of undulation.

Submit "4-IM video / 2-IM w-out" to Digg Submit "4-IM video / 2-IM w-out" to del.icio.us Submit "4-IM video / 2-IM w-out" to StumbleUpon Submit "4-IM video / 2-IM w-out" to Google

Updated August 26th, 2015 at 09:39 AM by pwb

Categories
Swim Workouts , USA-S Swim Meets / Events

Comments

What I've noticed on your breastroke is that your recovery is slow and there is no glide. You need to shoot the arms forward faster and stay in a glide longer. I am not sure that you need to squeeze your arms more, just look at some video of Rebecca Soni. She is swimming really wide, but her arms are shooting forward very fast.
    I enjoyed watching the 400 IM swim. Good job on not letting that youngster next to you catch you, he was really coming in the breast. I noticed the circle swimming too (you were moving over so as to not let the wee one catch a draft) At the very very beginning of the video I thought you had a full suit on, and then you stepped out of the shade... Oh yeah, I'd like to borrow your backstroke for my 400 IM... Congrats on a good swim. I'm looking forward to swimming USA-S meets this summer to race the youngsters too.
    Very nice swim! Someone mentioned the breezy lane movement. Your strokes looked well paced and strong throughout! Nice time that is a nice achievement.
    Is a 1-1 breathing pattern on the turns a bad thing if you can keep the body aligned? Have you always done that, and do you do it other races? Good swim- the fashion chatter is pretty funny- didn't hear what they were saying exactly but the context is hysterical.
    Yeah, I second that on the breast, you need to work on your breast. But, I get that it is hard to be technical accurate on the breast leg of a 400 IM.

Gosh, you look like you aren't even trying on the free leg.
    Quote Originally Posted by swimfree
    What I've noticed on your breastroke is that your recovery is slow and there is no glide. You need to shoot the arms forward faster and stay in a glide longer. I am not sure that you need to squeeze your arms more, just look at some video of Rebecca Soni. She is swimming really wide, but her arms are shooting forward very fast.
    Those are very good points. Arm speed has never been my strong suit in any stroke, but I think it matters even more in breaststroke. I can get away with a longer stroke length (but slower rate) in fly/back/free, but not in breast.

On the glide, I think the last ~2 years of wearing the B70 bodysuit lulled me into a false sense of breaststroke security. My glide in that suit was great. However, I have been trying to experiment with a narrower / tighter kick (after watching Soni videos) and maybe I've lost too much propulsion from my legs.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    I enjoyed watching the 400 IM swim. Good job on not letting that youngster next to you catch you, he was really coming in the breast.
    Yes. He trains with my daughter and he was also trying to make the sectional cut. I knew he'd be stronger on the middle half of the race. My daughter and her friends were stoked that I managed to get to the wall ahead of him.

Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    Oh yeah, I'd like to borrow your backstroke for my 400 IM... Congrats on a good swim.
    Thanks. I'm doing something funky with my hand entry on backstroke ... I think it's a legacy of me pulling on the lane lines in workout on easy back swims. Gotta stop that so that I slice my hands in straight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Viva O Fear
    Your strokes looked well paced and strong throughout! Nice time that is a nice achievement.
    Thanks, but looks can be deceiving. Only the fly felt good and controlled!
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedo
    Is a 1-1 breathing pattern on the turns a bad thing if you can keep the body aligned? Have you always done that, and do you do it other races?
    When I get tired, I do it. Then, this summer when that Chinese kid smoked a great swim in the 1500 at the Asian games (approached Hackett's WR) and I watched him do it off some of his walls, I felt justified! I don't think it's horrible, but it's more a sign that I'm not as well-conditioned as I should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedo
    ...the fashion chatter is pretty funny- didn't hear what they were saying exactly but the context is hysterical.
    Yeah, at least she kept the camera focused even if she wasn't really interested in watching me. I love the cultural history that will be captured here ... references to the Alice character from the Twilight series, Ugg-like boots (I think), etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    Gosh, you look like you aren't even trying on the free leg.
    I was really hurting by the free and was conserving energy for at least the first 50, maybe the first 75 to do a sammy-save-up for the finish.
    The overall effect in the video is that you are just trying to pace the kid in the adjacent lane. Finally on the last 25 it looks like you are swimming hard! The cliche of "making it look easy" definitely applies to your swimming.
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    The overall effect in the video is that you are just trying to pace the kid in the adjacent lane. Finally on the last 25 it looks like you are swimming hard! The cliche of "making it look easy" definitely applies to your swimming.
    Thanks, but, trust me, I was toast by the end ... actually felt toasty by the second 50 of the backstroke. Rather than trying to pace the kid, I was fighting to stay ahead!
    Great swim "Mr. Brundage"!