View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Tuesday, Feb. 15

Rate this Entry
by , February 15th, 2011 at 06:16 PM (1821 Views)
Drylands:

Med ball slams on racquetball court, 15-20 minutes
-- floor slams, overhead slams, backward rotational slams, start slams, reverse scoops
-- I added a new one today: backward overhead throws.

backward rotational slams:
http://www.coreperformance.com/knowl...l-address.html (though I stand much further away from the wall and throw it a lot harder than shown here)
overhead backwards throw:
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVvoAsXiGYQ"]YouTube - Overhead backwards med ball throw[/nomedia]

broomstick twists
overhead dislocations with broomstick & twisting dislocations:
-- http://ericcressey.com/tag/broomstick-dislocations. A trainer showed me how to do the twisting variation.
decline reverse crunches, 25
long arm crunches, 50
overhead squats w/45 lb bar, 15
squat swings w/25 lb plate, 15
tricep press negatives, 50 x 2 x 10
bicep curl, 40 x 2 x 15
HS iso lateral hi row, 180 x 1 x 5 (spaced out and forgot to do further sets of this exercise)
standing broad jumps, 10
extreme angle lunge step ups, 2 x 10 each leg

RC Work, 15 minutes

Bike, 20 minutes

Massage, 60 minutes

Had very tight quads and hamstrings from the lack of yoga. Scapular area was the usual mess.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

Glad I got this in as I had a terrible night's sleep. Mini failed to set her alarm and I had to get up and drive her to school. (Fort Son left early.) Not cool. My new year's resolution was to attempt to get to sleep earlier, but thus far I have abjectly failed. My body seems hardwired to want to fall asleep very late and get up late. And, apart from my corporate law firm + early rising with young kids life, that's how I've always been. Throughout most of college and law school, I tried never to take courses before 10:00 am and I have never exercised in the early morning. My doc suggested that my sleep travails of the last few years may be due, in part (so many factors of course), to the reversal of stimulation. My day is now relatively quiet and my afternoon/nights are full of kids, driving, errands, etc. I'm fine if I can just sleep in (and ignore my family). Interestingly, the entire Health & Science section of the Washington Post was devoted to the topic of sleep. And there was an article on mediation that I'm including for Bobinator:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...021405973.html

Checking my calendar, I see I have PRP on Thursday. That is probably better for my off day, though I always feel sluggish swimming the day after a deep tissue massage.

Got a chuckle out of this. Mini Fort is leaving Thursday for States. For the county to approve the travel trip, I must be advised and acknowledge in writing that she is participating in a water based activity with the risk of drowning and death.

A take on the Ian Thorpe comeback:

http://speedendurance.blogspot.com/2...nd-losers.html

Submit "Tuesday, Feb. 15" to Digg Submit "Tuesday, Feb. 15" to del.icio.us Submit "Tuesday, Feb. 15" to StumbleUpon Submit "Tuesday, Feb. 15" to Google

Updated February 15th, 2011 at 09:23 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Strength Training and Dryland Workouts , Spinning

Comments

Do you know why they hold the state meet in SCM? I'm just curious.
    Quote Originally Posted by KEWebb18
    Do you know why they hold the state meet in SCM? I'm just curious.
    No idea. Mini was surprised too. She's never swum SCM except in summer league. Might explain why it looked like some swimmers were rested for Regionals -- they had to take their last cracks at good high school times there.
    My day is now relatively quiet and my afternoon/nights are full of kids, driving, errands, etc. I'm fine if I can just sleep in (and ignore my family). Interestingly, the entire Health & Science section of the Washington Post was devoted to the topic of sleep. And there was an article on mediation that I'm including for Bobinator:

Hi fort!!! Great article!!! Those are the same things my meditation teacher keeps telling us.
    I am having a tough time with the 50 minute "Body Scan" I do every night. My mind cannot focus on "being" and stay still and focused for so long. I'm almost starting to resent the time I spend on "Body Scan" and I feel like a meditation flunkee! The teacher keeps saying "trust the process." I trust but the mind still is active and random!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobinator
    My day is now relatively quiet and my afternoon/nights are full of kids, driving, errands, etc. I'm fine if I can just sleep in (and ignore my family). Interestingly, the entire Health & Science section of the Washington Post was devoted to the topic of sleep. And there was an article on mediation that I'm including for Bobinator:

Hi fort!!! Great article!!! Those are the same things my meditation teacher keeps telling us.
    I am having a tough time with the 50 minute
    "Body Scan" I do every night. My mind cannot focus on "being" and stay still and focused for so long. I'm almost starting to resent the time I spend on "Body Scan" and I feel like a meditation flunkee! The teacher keeps saying "trust the
    process." I trust but the mind still is active and random!!
    I would definitely be a meditation flunkee. My ADD symptoms would interfere. However, it's probably people like us that would most benefit from it ... Jaegmeister recommended a good book related to this topic written by one of his Mayo colleagues. I'll look up the title.
    Oh I would be interested in the title of the book!!!
    I am diagnosed and unmedicated ADHD! I was hoping the meditation would help me. I think it will, it's just probably going to be a longer and more painful journey for my economy-level brain.
    I agree with your schedule/kids and sleep patterns. After 4:00 pm you are on overdrive! When your kids are older (in college) you will be able to mellow-out and gradually slow down till bedtime. I never really thought about it before but it makes perfect sense.
    There was an interesting article in the WSJ on the benefits (yes, there are some!) of not being able to focus.
    I've read the same thing, SA. ADHD is often found in entrepreneurs, creative types and athletes. Also people with these symptoms can slso be hyper efficient and high achieving.

I'd just like to be able to find my keys or not get lost on occasion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobinator
    Oh I would be interested in the title of the book!!!
    I am diagnosed and unmedicated ADHD! I was hoping the meditation would help me. I think it will, it's just probably going to be a longer and more painful journey for my economy-level brain.
    I agree with your schedule/kids and sleep patterns. After 4:00 pm you are on overdrive! When your kids are older (in college) you will be able to mellow-out and gradually slow down till bedtime. I never really thought about it before but it makes perfect sense.
    I'll PM you when I get home from the gym.

Il told I have symptoms, but not the disorder. I think this just means there is a range of manifestations in people effected. I just wish stimulationat night wouldn't make me hyper.