View RSS Feed

Of Swimming Bondage

Bad attitude doesn't translate to a good swim

Rate this Entry
by , February 19th, 2011 at 05:15 PM (110 Views)
I was 2:01.56 in my 200 IM today, 0.26 slower than 3 weeks ago and obviously not under my goal to go sub-2:00. After the race (see video below) my wife told me that my negative attitude from this week's workouts was probably a strong determinant of my performance. I really want to blame the weather (windy/rainy as you can glimpse on the video), but my wife is right: my attitude has not been positive this week. Having said that, I really have no clue how I went from feeling like Superman/Aquaman in last week's workouts to feeling like a feeble old man in this week's workouts.

As for the race, I knew the kid next to me would be under 2:00 and that he'd be tough to beat on the freestyle leg (he was ~15:29 or 15:25 in the 1650 last night), so I was aiming to get as far ahead of him as possible through the 150. The meet was running two courses, so the scoreboard flipped between the two pools and, hence, I don't have my 100 split. Looking at the video, my turns are still slow, but my freestyle was very poor. I'm just not sure why I can't come home in 27-low after going out in the fly at 26-low. Gotta figure this out.

Tomorrow's another day and the upside is that going out on the fly leg today felt smooth, so I'm stoked for the 200 fly tomorrow. Though I'm not blaming the weather, I am hoping for no rain and wind tomorrow!

The kids continued to swim very well today, dropping time in almost all of their swims. Tomorrow they are both doing the bi-polar double of the 50 and 500 free.

Submit "Bad attitude doesn't translate to a good swim" to Digg Submit "Bad attitude doesn't translate to a good swim" to del.icio.us Submit "Bad attitude doesn't translate to a good swim" to StumbleUpon Submit "Bad attitude doesn't translate to a good swim" to Google

Updated August 29th, 2015 at 05:07 PM by pwb

Categories
USA-S Swim Meets / Events

Comments

Good luck tomorrow on the fly. I will be wishing for good weather and an aquaman aura for you! Have fun!

Btw, I thought of your 400IM video as I was getting ready to swim my 4IM at Auburn--not because of the event, but because I looked down and realized I was wearing boots with capris, and remembered your daughter's fashion commentary.
    It seems to me that you had the fitness to go 1:59, but the execution wasn't there (i.e bad attitude and turns). The blustery conditions probably didn't help either (I noticed the backstroke flags were horizontal). Your fly did look very smooth and powerful. Get revved up and go get 'em tomorrow.
    Maybe you should blame it on the fact that your lane lines weren't nice & tight - especially the one near the wall. OMG - are you swimming in a KID's meet!! Woo Hoo! That takes guts!
    dude, the conditions seemed awful for racing. Lane Line needed to be tighten. If the weather is better tomorrow, the 200 fly should be a problem.

fly looked good. Needed a faster back to breast transition. Needed a little faster stroke rate for the breast.
    Pat, I just watched your race. To me, you looked strong on the fly and back, pretty strong on the breast, but by the freestyle, you were (relatively speaking) toasted.

Take this for what it's worth, but I think you could have swum the first three strokes almost as fast but just a wee bit looser, and saved some strength for the final 50.

By telling yourself you had to get a lead on the kid next to you, I suspect you adopted a strategy that wasn't ideal. You DID have him at the 150, and slowing down just a wee bit on the front end of the race would not have helped you beat that kid.

But I think it might have helped you beat 2:00.

My advice for the 200 fly: don't go out too fast. Obviously, you don't want to be overly cautious either, but the 200 fly is one of those races that is very easy to swim like Zeno's Paradox. Good luck!
    Turns, turns, turns...
    Seems that the start of free was just a big streamline glide till you broke the surface.

But, it's also a lot easier to be critical from here in the chair rather than out there in the water.

200 Fly should be fun tomorrow. I know I'm looking forward to mine too. Good luck!!
    Patrick, everything looked pretty solid, a couple of tweaks you should work on:

Fly: Halfway thru your fly recovery, you start to turn your palms down, this is creating drag as your fingertips contact the water and slow your arms down, work on keeping your palms pointed back all the way thru your recovery. Your hands will naturally turn palms down as your arms reach forward.

Backstroke: Your hands are cocked at about a 150 degree angle all the way thru your recovery (I can't tell if they are at that angle on water entry but it appears that way). This robs you of an good early catch. Try to work on keeping your entire arm straight including your hand.

Back to Breast: Um, stroke count????

Breast: You are making snowangels on your pullouts . A pullout should be more of a butterfly pull, narrower for more power.

Breast: Arm recovery, work on making that recovery a little shallower. Your hands are a little too deep as they come forward. A good drill for this is the thumb drill. Extend your thumbs vertically while you are recovering your hands forward and make sure they break the surface for the first half of the recovery.

Turns in general: It looks like your pivot arm is staying tucked into your side until your start the over the top movement with your other arm. Then you seem to extend the first arm towards the other wall. Instead of doing that, try to drag your pivot arm elbow first straight towards the other wall and then extend it straight out and bring the other arm over the top, brushing your head, to meet it.

Great swims, you are in great shape and have terrific form, now it's down to the little things to bring out more speed.

I'm not sure if it was the bad attitude about the week's workouts. You're seasoned enough to know that you can swim fast when you're tired or not feeling great on a mini rest. I suspect it had more to do with the fact that you and your wife had resolved not to go to Sectionals. With that off the table, your incentive to swim must have been diminished. Mine would have been.
    Quote Originally Posted by swimsuit addict
    Good luck tomorrow on the fly. I will be wishing for good weather and an aquaman aura for you! Have fun!
    Thanks! Typing this pre-meet (Sunday) and my mind's in a much better place ... no doubt helped by reading all the supportive comments, as well as the smile that this brought to my face:

Quote Originally Posted by swimsuit addict
    Btw, I thought of your 400IM video as I was getting ready to swim my 4IM at Auburn--not because of the event, but because I looked down and realized I was wearing boots with capris, and remembered your daughter's fashion commentary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedo
    It seems to me that you had the fitness to go 1:59, but the execution wasn't there (i.e bad attitude and turns). The blustery conditions probably didn't help either (I noticed the backstroke flags were horizontal).
    Yeah. I know I can get under and the day certainly wasn't great, but, as my daughters showed me, if you don't let the conditions get to your head, they won't. Mind over matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedo
    Your fly did look very smooth and powerful. Get revved up and go get 'em tomorrow.
    I am and will do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial
    Maybe you should blame it on the fact that your lane lines weren't nice & tight - especially the one near the wall.
    Yeah. I didn't notice that lane line before I swam or when I swam, only when I saw the video. I swam in the absolute last heat of the morning session; I'm really surprised no coach noticed and got that fixed earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Celestial
    OMG - are you swimming in a KID's meet!! Woo Hoo! That takes guts!
    I wasn't the only Masters swimmer out there. There were a few more in the meet. Plus, I ran into another Masters guy who was going to time trial a 1000, trying get a sectional cut for the Texas sectional meet. That took guts as he was going to do that solo in the same crappy conditions.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    dude, the conditions seemed awful for racing. Lane Line needed to be tighten...fly looked good. Needed a faster back to breast transition. Needed a little faster stroke rate for the breast.
    Thanks, Tom. Good points. I do feel good about the fly coming up in 5 hours.
    Quote Originally Posted by jim thornton
    Pat, I just watched your race. To me, you looked strong on the fly and back, pretty strong on the breast, but by the freestyle, you were (relatively speaking) toasted.

Take this for what it's worth, but I think you could have swum the first three strokes almost as fast but just a wee bit looser, and saved some strength for the final 50.

By telling yourself you had to get a lead on the kid next to you, I suspect you adopted a strategy that wasn't ideal. You DID have him at the 150, and slowing down just a wee bit on the front end of the race would not have helped you beat that kid.

But I think it might have helped you beat 2:00.

My advice for the 200 fly: don't go out too fast. Obviously, you don't want to be overly cautious either, but the 200 fly is one of those races that is very easy to swim like Zeno's Paradox. Good luck!
    Jim, I think you are absolutely correct and you point out a couple of things that, at this advanced age, I should know better about. First, swim my own damn race! Second, control the front half. I used to do that well on my I.M.s and almost always know how to cruise the 1st 50 of my 200 fly. For some reason, though, I think I have been trying to overcompensate for my breaststroke by trying to take out the fly and back harder. I have to swim this race again and do what you wisely suggest.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    Turns, turns, turns...
    Seems that the start of free was just a big streamline glide till you broke the surface.

But, it's also a lot easier to be critical from here in the chair rather than out there in the water.

200 Fly should be fun tomorrow. I know I'm looking forward to mine too. Good luck!!
    Yeah, pretty much all of the turns sucked. I think Jim was right about me being toasted by the free ... Hence the glide

Hope ur 200 fly is fun today!
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    but, as my daughters showed me, if you don't let the conditions get to your head, they won't. Mind over matter.

I am and will do.
    This is a great attitude! Setting a good example is also very good motivation.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwolf66
    Patrick, everything looked pretty solid, a couple of tweaks you should work on:

Fly: Halfway thru your fly recovery, you start to turn your palms down, this is creating drag as your fingertips contact the water and slow your arms down, work on keeping your palms pointed back all the way thru your recovery. Your hands will naturally turn palms down as your arms reach forward.

Backstroke: Your hands are cocked at about a 150 degree angle all the way thru your recovery (I can't tell if they are at that angle on water entry but it appears that way). This robs you of an good early catch. Try to work on keeping your entire arm straight including your hand.

Back to Breast: Um, stroke count????

Breast: You are making snowangels on your pullouts . A pullout should be more of a butterfly pull, narrower for more power.

Breast: Arm recovery, work on making that recovery a little shallower. Your hands are a little too deep as they come forward. A good drill for this is the thumb drill. Extend your thumbs vertically while you are recovering your hands forward and make sure they break the surface for the first half of the recovery.

Turns in general: It looks like your pivot arm is staying tucked into your side until your start the over the top movement with your other arm. Then you seem to extend the first arm towards the other wall. Instead of doing that, try to drag your pivot arm elbow first straight towards the other wall and then extend it straight out and bring the other arm over the top, brushing your head, to meet it.

Great swims, you are in great shape and have terrific form, now it's down to the little things to bring out more speed.

Paul, this is awesome, detailed feedback. I love the insight and the tips will be great for me to focus on in workouts.
    Well, I think it was a great swim in those less than desirable conditions. Looked like empty lane 2 lanes over, they should have moved you out of wall lane for sure. Add no wind, warmer day, and you would have been under 2 minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    I'm not sure if it was the bad attitude about the week's workouts. You're seasoned enough to know that you can swim fast when you're tired or not feeling great on a mini rest. I suspect it had more to do with the fact that you and your wife had resolved not to go to Sectionals. With that off the table, your incentive to swim must have been diminished. Mine would have been.
    Yeah, I'm not sure. I was still gunning for the time 'cuz I want to swim Summer Sectionals!