View RSS Feed

Of Swimming Bondage

2 Happy Brundages

Rate this Entry
by , February 20th, 2011 at 05:29 PM (65 Views)
THANKS EVERYONE for the great feedback and support to yesterday's post. It was incredibly helpful to read late last night and this morning as I waited for my 200 fly.

I have very little time between sessions today -- back for me to officiate tonight and #1 to swim the 500 again -- but, despite weather that was only marginally better in some respects (a little less windy) and marginally worse in other respects (colder), the Brundage clan brought home 2 sectional times today:

• Though I'm still not happy with my splitting, I was 2:01.19 in the 200 fly, a good 1 second drop from 3 weeks ago and 0.6 under the cut. After all the great feedback from my IM yesterday, I got my head in the right place and thought that I was taking out the first 100 very easy. Maybe I am becoming a sprinter because I was 27.3/30.5 for 57.8 at the 100. Historically, with that kind of 100, I should've easily been under 2:00, but I proceeded to go 31.5/31.8 on the last 100. I'm still very happy with this swim, considering that it is only 0.2 slower than I went at Austin Nationals (full taper, way better pool and conditions).
  • After bouncing around 5:11 for what seems like forever and trying to get a 5:09.61 sectional cut, #1 powered through her mini-500-plateau to go 5:07.51 this morning. I'm not sure if she's got much left for finals tonight, but I think she'll play around with strategy and see where it gets her.

I've got some thinking to do about the rest of my season. I had really wanted to chalk up a mid-season taper to do even better at the 200/400 IM and 200 fly. I think I can go faster on all of those, but have to balance that with my simultaneous schizo desire to sprint.

Taking tomorrow off from training to officiate and then fly out east. Will have some more thinking time to figure out the plan then.

Submit "2 Happy Brundages" to Digg Submit "2 Happy Brundages" to del.icio.us Submit "2 Happy Brundages" to StumbleUpon Submit "2 Happy Brundages" to Google

Comments

Congrats on getting your sectional cut. And congrats to #1 on a great plauteau-breaking swim!
    Excellet 200 fly. You can work on your splitting for the next 200. Today, you did what you had to do to get that cut. 5:07 is pretty blazing. Under 5:00 is not too far away for #1.
    Great news Patrick, congratulations!!!! Sounds like everyone in your house competed in something this weekend. How did your wife do in her half?

And your story from yesterday reminded me of what my parents did growing up. I remember them holding (especially) my oldest sister to some higher grade standards than the teams had (she did cross country and basketball every year in high school, plus track 3 years and softball her last), and there were some games/meets she couldn't play in. I know she was upset, but the higher grades came in handy for getting into and doing better in college.
    Congrats! It's nice to have simultaneously happy athletes in the house. 5:07 = very impressive! She's really coming on strong.
    Nice swim- good showing all around this weekend for you and the family. You've got a good window to sprintify yourself prior to Mesa if you decide to go that route.
    Nice 200 fly, and your kids are doing well too! Congrats to all.
    Great swims for the family! Nice.