View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Sunday, Feb. 20

Rate this Entry
by , February 20th, 2011 at 10:00 PM (1638 Views)
Drylands:

long arm curnches, 50
windshield wipers, 25
flutter kick on bosu, 2 x 50
alternating hammers, 30 x 2 x 50
HS iso lateral hi row singles, 210 (my max so far) x 10
Nautilus lower back machine, 140 x 2 x 15
hanging straight leg raises, 2 x 15
hanging oblique twists, 2 x 15
goblet squats, 70 x 2 x 15
overhead squats, 45 x 2 x 15

RC work, 15 minutes

Bike, 45 minutes:

stretching & foam roller, 20 minutes

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

Mr. Fort was participating in a marathon relay (they won the men's masters division) until about 3:00, so I didn't head out until late in the afternoon. I was somewhat demotivated by then. I've generally been less motivated the last couple weeks. I was dragging my feet, and Mr. Fort said "discipline is doing what you don't want to do when you don't want to do it." That got me out the door.

I'm hoping to return to yoga this week after a stint of biking. I have way more time than usual for a Monday tomorrow because the kids are in school for a full day due to snow days and Lil Fort is heading to a friend's after school. This spring also marks the first season that my two teenagers are competing in the same sport, so that may mean less running around. (They overlapped in swimming one year, but were at different practices.) I've been waiting to sign Lil Fort up for a running program until she was a bit older. Decided to sign her up for the local "Girls on the Run" program instead of something more formal. From what I can glean, aside from track parents, running starts much later for kids here than swimming.

Submit "Sunday, Feb. 20" to Digg Submit "Sunday, Feb. 20" to del.icio.us Submit "Sunday, Feb. 20" to StumbleUpon Submit "Sunday, Feb. 20" to Google

Comments

I like Mr. Fort's motivational quote, I'll use that one the next time I'm not in the mood to workout!
    I bet Lil Fort will love "Girls on the Run!" From what I hear the program is more social, self-esteem, and "girl power" centered while the running is a vehicle to facilitate the good feelings. I think she's the perfect age for a program like GOTR!!!! It will probably help her become a happy runner for life!!
    Maybe the running parents are on to something?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobinator
    I like Mr. Fort's motivational quote, I'll use that one the next time I'm not in the mood to workout!
    I bet Lil Fort will love "Girls on the Run!" From what I hear the program is more social, self-esteem, and "girl power" centered while the running is a vehicle to facilitate the good feelings. I think she's the perfect age for a program like GOTR!!!! It will probably help her become a happy runner for life!!
    I'm glad you chimed in on the GOTR, Bob! I think that is what Lil Fort needs at her age. I was worried anything more might seem like drudgery at times. I want a happy runner, not a burnt out runner.

And Mr. Fort's quote was a good motivational quote for today. He followed it with, "You always feel better after a workout'," which is typically very true.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Maybe the running parents are on to something?
    Possibly so. I do see a lot of young kids competing in track, but no so many in cross country. Unless you keep sports like swimming or running fun, it's hard to sustain through those mid teen years. But you're girls are doing great; they're really starting to come on at a time when others are dropping out of the sport.
    How do you make running fun?
    [QUOTE=qbrain;bt53921]How do you make running fun?[/QUO

It's been so long since I engaged in this activity, that I can't recall ...