View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

1000 + SCM Thursday, Feb. 12

Rate this Entry
by , February 12th, 2009 at 11:56 AM (1694 Views)
Last day of ditzing around in the pool like a noodler:

700 warm up
2 x 25 build
2 x 25 easy speed fly
200 easy

Taper News:

No real hypochondriasis at the moment. Shoulders are a bit sore from tossing and turning last night. Still holding at just congestion! Speaking of hypochondriasis, this will be my first big meet in awhile without my blogger buddies Jimby and SwimStud. Is Jimby my good luck charm or does he encourage hypochondriasis? He is always a good source of Jolt Gum ...

The timeline for the meet is out. There are 1650 entries -- quite a lot for a regional meet.
I should have enough time between my first and seconds events each day, thanks to my sandbagging of the first event. I'm a bit worried about warm up on Saturday, since I'm in heat 1 of event 1 and have to budget ample time for struggling/wiggling/wrenching myself into the new tech suit. I've been very spoiled by my stretched out B70. I was down to about 3 mintues to get into it. Now, I'm back to 30 minutes. lol.

Will probably go early and warm up in the warm up pool on Saturday morning. (By early, I mean about 11:00 am.) May try to get to the competition pool late Friday afternoon if my flight is on time and I don't get stuck in traffic. I've been told the bulkhead is tricky, so this is probably a good idea.

Looking forward to meeting Heather Reitz, Swimcat, Karlene, Glider & others and seeing Elise again. I'm counting on Elise to get me from the hotel to the pool as I am always getting lost. Why is it so confusing to find the damn pool on a college campus?!

SCM Times:

Preliminary SCM rankings are out.

http://www.usms.org/comp/tt/toptenin...wimmerID=038W8

Did better than last year. I find it somewhat comical that my worst ranking was 50 fly. I even did better in 100 fly than 50 fly. A first! Biggest improvement is in the 100 IM. I swam in 3 SCM meets this year (Albatross, IGLA and one day at Rutgers). I did 3 day mini tapers for the first two and rested a week for Rutgers. The week of IGLA, I lifted and ran, so think I could have gone faster in the backstroke events and 50 fly. (Wait, I did in the 50 fly .... lol) It'd be nice to do a 2 week taper one year for a SCM meet. I wish there was a bit more competition for the top spots in my age group. Right now, they're completely dominated by KPN.

Submit "1000 + SCM  Thursday, Feb. 12" to Digg Submit "1000 + SCM  Thursday, Feb. 12" to del.icio.us Submit "1000 + SCM  Thursday, Feb. 12" to StumbleUpon Submit "1000 + SCM  Thursday, Feb. 12" to Google

Updated February 12th, 2009 at 03:12 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts , Masters Swim Meets / Events

Comments

Is wrangling into a tech suit your extra event? Good Luck this weekend!
    You totally should have taken a noodle to the pool today.
    Thanks Donna!

Haha, Q. Plenty of noodles lying around on the pool deck to inspire me.
    Good luck Fortress, KICK SOME BOOTIE!
    Hope you have some really nice swims, enjoy yourself!
    Thanks Robin and Robin!
    Kick butt and revel in the fact that your times will be official for TT SCY. Have fun at the meet as I'm not sure there's fun to be had elsewhere in that town (my only recollection of Auburn was guys who wanted to go cow-tipping on my college recruiting trip there).
    Leslie,

Looking at the previous years you are getting better with age! Or at least hanging onto your speed better.

The tighter the tech suit the better! I returned my first fastskin tech suit thinking it was too small because it was very hard to get into, but I learned when they get wet, they loosen. I say as tight as you can go without rupture!

Good luck!
    Thanks Patrick and Rob. It will count as long as they measure the pool, Patrick! They didn't two years ago and thousands of times were thrown out, including Puff's. I'm counting on them having their act together after that fiasco.

I think my training gets more focused every year, Rob. And I've been doing progressively more speed work and strength work. Plus, nothing beats race experience. I was like a deer in the headlights my first year back. Didn't know what I was doing at all. Then I started asking Ande.

I know tighter is better for tech suits. It just stinks to get into those things. I was spoiled by my stretchier B70 the last few meets. B70s don't have to be as skin tight as Pros though.
    Bon chance Madamoiselle.