View RSS Feed

Random Nonsense

Antigeek workout

Rate this Entry
I got back in the water in Feb after a two month unintentional break, and most of my workouts have been moderate to hard aerobic, 5 or 6 days a week. Today I thought I would try something different.

Goal swim, break 1:00 in the 100M. First attempt is a straight 100, second attempt is 2x50, third attempt is 4x25s. My prediction was that I would do it on the 25s.

Lifetime lap pool was full, so spent about 10 minutes in the kiddie pool playing around with streamlines and SDK. Then all 5 lanes cleared out of the lap pool!

Warm up
- 200 swim, 200 back, 200 kick ez
Goal Set
- 1x100 all out (1:03)
-- at this point I thought I had a shot at making the goal set at the 50s.
- 200 ez back + lots of wall rest
- 2x50 all out (:29, :29-)
-- 50 ez between plus tons of rest; ~2:30 between
-- DONE
Cool down
- maybe 400 ez mixed back/free


Finis Swimsense: I bought a swimsense, a watch thing that keeps stroke count, lap count, splits etc. This toy should be really helpful, but it isn't accurate enough to be useful to competitive pool swimmers in my opinion. Ex: Yesterday I did an 100 IM set and my back splits was something like a 33 while my breast splits were around 23... I am a much better at back than breast. Another problem I have with the watch is that the times only resolve to 1 second, aka you split is 23, not a 22.6. In theory, this is not a big deal, but the way it has been implemented is that the splits can sum to more than the interval. The error seems to be +/- 2s, which is a huge error for fast swims in a short course pool. What irritates me the most about the watch would annoy any swimmer during a short rest set, or any swimmer wanting a time off a fast effort swim, the watch has to be manually started and stopped to record the interval. When you are trying to remember to breath, it takes a while to remember to press the button, and on short rest sets, especially near the end, having time to press the button twice might not actually exist.

The watch is accurate for recording distance, so for fitness swimmers who are interested in overall distance swam and stroke counts, it is a decent device. It just seems a little expensive for something that is limited to stroke and lap counting.

Submit "Antigeek workout" to Digg Submit "Antigeek workout" to del.icio.us Submit "Antigeek workout" to StumbleUpon Submit "Antigeek workout" to Google

Categories
Swim Workouts

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Water Rat's Avatar
    why don't you invent a new watch
  2. qbrain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    why don't you invent a new watch
    I'm lazy. Thanks for pointing that out.
  3. Water Rat's Avatar
    Just thought you might want to put that CMU education to some use
  4. The Fortress's Avatar
    I think you should have done the 4 x 25 anyway, LH.
  5. quicksilver's Avatar
    Those are really good times from a push. The watch seems like a good tool for pace swimming versus use as a mini-Omega timing devise.

    always enjoy your bloggings btw.
  6. qbrain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    I think you should have done the 4 x 25 anyway, LH.
    I had planned on doing 4x ( 25 sprint kick, 75 ez) after the goal set. Cutting that out was lazy.
  7. qbrain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by quicksilver
    Those are really good times from a push. The watch seems like a good tool for pace swimming versus use as a mini-Omega timing devise.

    always enjoy your bloggings btw.
    You are right for longer distance stuff the watch is pretty decent. I will get some use out of it on longer sets prepping for the Waikiki Roughwater. It is the short rest and fast sets that would be more meaningful to analyze, so I am disappointed in the watch. Maybe there will be an update in the future that addresses my issues.

    Thanks quick. I only blogged every workout for about six weeks and the rest of the time just blogged when there was something interesting to blog about. The latter is easier and makes more sense to me, so that is the plan going forward. The swimsense is something I wanted to share my experiences with and today's workout differed enough from the norm to be blog worthy.
  8. qbrain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    Just thought you might want to put that CMU education to some use
    You mean good use I put it to use all the time arguing with Geek.
  9. quicksilver's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain

    Thanks quick. I only blogged every workout for about six weeks and the rest of the time just blogged when there was something interesting to blog about. The latter is easier and makes more sense to me, so that is the plan going forward. The swimsense is something I wanted to share my experiences with and today's workout differed enough from the norm to be blog worthy.

    You're welcome. It makes sense about the blogging by the way...meaning to spend time making noteworthy observations, and letting the mundane stuff go. I had stopped as well having had to pass on all of our meets this season. There's always next year!

    Good luck in the open water! I'm considering a a triathlon later this summer. That particular watch might come in very handy for practicing with a pace in mind (on both land and sea).
  10. aquageek's Avatar
    Jazz just called me on the whiner-line and fully approves this workout. I had to venture into the world wide ether to find the three times in the past 10 years I have competed in the 100 m free. And, I have never broken 1:00. So, well done!
  11. qbrain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aquageek
    Jazz just called me on the whiner-line and fully approves this workout. I had to venture into the world wide ether to find the three times in the past 10 years I have competed in the 100 m free. And, I have never broken 1:00. So, well done!
    Haha, thanks. I just checked and have not broken it either. Need to resolve that.
  12. aquageek's Avatar
    Don't feel too bad. In my age group a 1:00 time puts me at 21st for 2010.
  13. aquageek's Avatar
    Let's make a blood pact and find a SCM meet next year and make a run at 1:00. It looks like that loosely translates to a :52-:53 for a 100 scy so it's not an easy thing to accomplish, for me anyway.
  14. qbrain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aquageek
    Let's make a blood pact and find a SCM meet next year and make a run at 1:00. It looks like that loosely translates to a :52-:53 for a 100 scy so it's not an easy thing to accomplish, for me anyway.
    Rowdy Gaines? You would not be impressed with the DAM SCM pool.
  15. aquageek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Rowdy Gaines? You would not be impressed with the DAM SCM pool.
    A trip to Orlando brings a huge price tag for me, keep looking. We don't have to decide any time soon.
  16. qbrain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aquageek
    A trip to Orlando brings a huge price tag for me, keep looking. We don't have to decide any time soon.
    Umm... I have planned all my trips for 2011 already, it isn't too early for me.

    Oh, I totally forgot that if you ever go back to Orlando again, you risk losing best-father-ever-that-one-day-we-opened-Disney-World.

    Is Cali an option? There is a little SCM meet in Long Beach I think.
  17. aquageek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Umm... I have planned all my trips for 2011 already, it isn't too early for me.
    I am incapable of planning more than 4 months out, sorry.

    I guess California could be an option, but not a great option, although I hear that's a great meet.

    There will be a SCM meet here in CLT in October. Or, the DAM meet. I don't really care since next Fall is abstract to me.
  18. qbrain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aquageek
    There will be a SCM meet here in CLT in October. Or, the DAM meet. I don't really care since next Fall is abstract to me.
    Good pool in CLT?
  19. aquageek's Avatar
    Yes, good pool. UltraSwim held there. It would be more fun to travel however.
  20. qbrain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aquageek
    Yes, good pool. UltraSwim held there. It would be more fun to travel however.
    You will definitely be going to CLT meet I assume? A travel meet is fine, as soon as we find one at a non-crappy pool.

    I think South Texas Masters hosted a SCM meet in San Antonio last year which might be an option. Nothing like migas, barbacoa and refried beans for a pre-meet breakfast.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast