View RSS Feed

aztimm's training blog

Sunday 04032011, AM Long Run & afternoon 'mini meet'

Rate this Entry
by , April 3rd, 2011 at 05:15 PM (619 Views)
didn't have nearly the soreness I expected when i woke up this morning. but this shouldn't be confused with that I had none either. I really worked my body over on Friday, quite insane to do that much on a normal day. the worst were my biceps, and my abs were also a little sore. I'm sure my chest, back, triceps were too, but those two pretty much outshone everything else.

so I got out a little earlier for my long run--
Time: 01:59:49
Distance: 14.10 mi
Elevation Gain: 14 ft
Calories: 1,882 C
Avg Pace: 08:29 min/mi
Avg Moving Pace: 08:24 min/mi
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/76940926

here's what I wrote in my dailymile update--
Got out early today to try to beat the heat...partially successful. Already in the mid-70s when I started, and quite dry and windy. Took Holly the dog with me for a whopping 6.8 miles, here longest in months, and she held up really well. Dropped her off, and did some more on my own. My goal today was a long-slow-distance, with a soft goal of holding an 8:30 pace, and mostly made both (wanted to do 15...). Splits: 8:22, 8:27, 8:41, 8:35, 8:30, 8:30, 8:24, 8:40, 8:35, 8:39, 8:30, 8:28, 8:32, 8:05, 7:13.
http://www.dailymile.com/people/aztimm/entries/6278344

after briefly relaxing at home, we went out for breakfast to The Good Egg, and I got my usual, the Macho Nacho. Got back home and I decided to venture back out...

late last night, I did some rough calculations with the heat sheets for the SW Zone SCY Meet @ Mesa-Kino, and I figured that if everything ran exactly on schedule, my 100 free would be around 11 AM. I had given up on the 500 free and 200 breast, and I really just entered the 50 back for kicks.

I arrived at Kino just as the Women's heats of the 100 free were starting. I had put on my Speedo Fastskin brief under my shorts before I left home. Found a place to plop my bag, and jumped in the warm-up pool--

300 mostly easy free (the water was a bit chilly so I'm glad I got the chance to do anything)

then had just a couple of minutes before my 100 free. as I was waiting behind the block, Lacy saw me and asked what my goal was. I said, "to not vomit or cramp up." She replied with a grin, "oh good, I'll take pictures." thankfully it wasn't that horrible (but I haven't yet seen the pictures either)...
1:00.33 (so very very close, but still a PB)

went back to the warm-up area--
200 easy free
100 easy breast

then wandered around and chatted for a few minutes while the 200 fly was going on. there was 1 heat for women, then 2 for men. found a bunch of people from the Mesa team, Sun Devil Masters (even went over and chatted with Jonny and Simon), then did the final round at the PHX Swim club tent. Laura spotted me, she said, "I didn't see you at warm-up." I said, "yea, I got here just before the 100 free." She just smiled at me.

went back to the warm-up area (I think around 400 ttl)--
100 easy free
50 easy breast
200 done 25 breast/25 free
50 easy, mostly just floating

then got out for my other event, 50 breast. again, not as horrible as I expected (and possibly a PB, I'll have to check)--

then again went back to the warm-up area (I think another 400)
100 easy free
200 mix of free/breast
100 cool-down

TTL swimming for the day, about 1550 yards.

then as I was walking to the locker room, I ran into Michelle Chow (chowmi on the forums). I told her, "Q told me if I saw you I had to say Hello." I think she was a bit taken aback. she asked how I did and I said, "not bad, considering I ran 14 this morning." I'm not quite certain, but I think she rolled her eyes at me (if not outright I'm sure she did inside). She probably thought I was crazy.

I was at Kino for all of an hour and 10 minutes, and that included having to wait a couple minutes for an open shower (they have a whopping 3 showers in the men's locker room). left home around 10:45 and was back home by 12:30.

lesson for next meet--don't get frustrated with whatever life throws at me as the meet approaches. and certainly don't do crazy lifting 2 days before. and probably a good idea not to do a long run that morning either, although things weren't as bad as they could have been. oh, and probably do a half decent job on the meet-day diet too.

edited--added running playlist.
Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	playlist_04032011.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	137.0 KB 
ID:	6618  

Submit "Sunday 04032011, AM Long Run & afternoon 'mini meet'" to Digg Submit "Sunday 04032011, AM Long Run & afternoon 'mini meet'" to del.icio.us Submit "Sunday 04032011, AM Long Run & afternoon 'mini meet'" to StumbleUpon Submit "Sunday 04032011, AM Long Run & afternoon 'mini meet'" to Google

Updated April 3rd, 2011 at 07:47 PM by aztimm

Categories
Masters Swim Meets / Events , Running

Comments

Great job! I'm floored that you came so close to a sub-minute 100 despite having every reason in the book to have swum much slower. Maybe you like meets just a wee bit better after today's experience?
    And that's a nice 50 BR too--can't imagine sprinting BR after a long run, but then I can't imagine running 14 miles in the first place.
    Congrats to you!
    Quote Originally Posted by swimsuit addict
    Great job! I'm floored that you came so close to a sub-minute 100 despite having every reason in the book to have swum much slower. Maybe you like meets just a wee bit better after today's experience?
    And that's a nice 50 BR too--can't imagine sprinting BR after a long run, but then I can't imagine running 14 miles in the first place.
    Congrats to you!
    Thanks! I figured if I'm going to be bad, I might as well be as bad as I could be. Other than the first mile or so with the dog (which always is a bit rough with her pulling), my run felt super relaxed. As I was finishing, the song, "Have fun go mad," (which was featured in Sliding Doors) played on my iPhone, and I thought that would be a good theme if I decided to go forward with my mini-meet thoughts. (and the song just prior was, "Comfortably Numb.") I'll attach the playlist.

Probably the best thing about swimming (aside from only doing 2 events) was that I was super relaxed. Almost as if I was drunk. I had a super runners' high going (it lasts several hours), and with a full stomach, I figured even a 1:05 would be acceptable. They posted the results online, and my split was 29.58. I dove in and just naturally went for it, then by the first wall I thought, "I'm gonna crash out," so I took the 2nd 25 a touch easier, probably too easy.

You're absolutely right on the breast. After my free foray, I thought breast (and only a 50) would be a breeze. I was really glad I did some breast warm-up. When I first pushed off doing some breast warm-up, my legs screamed at me, but they eventually adjusted.
    Updated April 3rd, 2011 at 07:46 PM by aztimm
    Ok, MUCH better post than yesterday.

You need more than a 300 warm up, as you are Mr. Distance Man, but very nice 100 after 14 miles. I would just be happy to be alive, but you must be happy with the time too.

Glad to hear the breast time was good for you (you could post a WR time and I wouldn't have a clue).

Michelle definitely rolled her eyes at you, and am surprised she didn't fall over in a laughing fit at your absurdity. For all her jocularity, she takes her swims pretty seriously and a 14 mile run is an interesting pre meet warm up.

Great way to swim the meet by the way. Do what you are interested in and ditch the rest.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Great way to swim the meet by the way. Do what you are interested in and ditch the rest.
    Glad you got to the meet, Tim. Maybe I'll catch you at some meet this summer? Impressive that you showed up after a 14 miler.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Glad you got to the meet, Tim. Maybe I'll catch you at some meet this summer? Impressive that you showed up after a 14 miler.
    Thanks Patrick. It certainly was an experience, one I hope never to repeat.

I heard that Paul and Laura are putting on a LCM meet at the new pool in east Mesa (Ironwood I think?) in June. That is a similar distance for me as Kino, but all freeway . Depending when that is, I'll probably do it (tho I get back from Rome on June 1). Otherwise I'll probably do part of the LCM state meet, wherever it is (and yes even in Tucson).