View RSS Feed

Ande's Swimming Blog

Wed Apr 6th, 2011 LCM

Rate this Entry
Wed Apr 6th, 2011

25 days til Nats

Weighed 218 after practice

still feeling pain in my left shoulder / neck / trapezius. Kinda like a crik in my neck, but it seems better than it was yesterday

2011 South Central SC Zones Results


Subscribe to Ande's Swimming Blog

WEIGHTS

Whitney Coached
UT, LCM main pool
6:30 - 8:00 dove in around 6:45
trained with Mike, Nate, Ned, Todd, Tyler, Marcio
wore FS 1 Jammer

WARM UP
missed most
did 250

Main SET:

10 x 50 k on :50 made it (500/750)

8 x 100 fr on 1:20 made em (500/1250)

8 x 50 on 1:00 (400/1650)

6 x 100 fr on 1:20 made em (600/2250)

6 x 50 on 1:00 (300/ 2550)

4 x 100 fr on 1:20 made em (400/2950)

4 x 50 on on 1:00 (200/3150)

2 x 100 on 1:15 made em (200 / 3350)

assigned: 400 fr breathe every 7
did: 4 x (10 easy speed SDKs, swim easy back to wall)

Next meets are:

Thu Apr 28 - Sun May 1, 2011
2011 USMS SCY Spring Nationals
Kino Aquatic Complex, Mesa, AZ
Order of Events
Days till
Entries:
Fri Apr 29, 2011 400 IM 6th Event, 50 FL
Sat Apr 30, 2011 100 IM, 50 Br
Sun May 1, 2011 500 Fr, 200 IM


2011 LCM Season

will probably do
2011 South Central Zone LCM Championships
Sat July 23 & Sun 24

Talking about
2011 USMS Summer Nationals
at Auburn University, Auburn, AL
August 3 - 6, 2011

Not sure about 2011 SCM meets yet

2012

2012 USMS Spring SCY Nationals
April 26 - 29, 2012
Greensboro Aquatic Center, Greensboro, NC

Really looking forward to:
2012 USMS Summer LCM Nationals
July 5 - 8, 2012
Qwest Center, Omaha, NE

Submit "Wed Apr 6th, 2011 LCM" to Digg Submit "Wed Apr 6th, 2011 LCM" to del.icio.us Submit "Wed Apr 6th, 2011 LCM" to StumbleUpon Submit "Wed Apr 6th, 2011 LCM" to Google

Updated April 6th, 2011 at 02:38 PM by ande

Categories
Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts

Comments

  1. The Fortress's Avatar
    Did you have your massage yesterday?

    I get these neck cricks + left trap pain things from time to time. Massage helps, but I find that going to see my chiro and doing ART works much better. ART is like a deep tissue on steroids.
  2. Jazz Hands's Avatar
    Ande, I don't mean to sound harsh or repetitive, but when are you going to get serious about losing weight? It seems like a major goal for you, but it's not enough to weigh yourself and think about eating less. Follow a plan, track your calories. Do something.

    Send me a PM if you're interested and I can talk about what generally works, some of the scientific studies, fads versus long term, and my personal experience.
    Updated April 6th, 2011 at 12:37 PM by Jazz Hands
  3. The Fortress's Avatar
    I'm rather guilty of the same thing. I have read that keeping a food log/journal is just as important as keeping a training journal. Keeps you more honest.
  4. That Guy's Avatar
    Me too. I don't even weigh myself. Last time I stepped on a scale I was about 15 pounds over my college weight. So I could drop some weight and improve my times. I've run out of low-hanging fruit:
    • Back-to-breast flip turn, check.
    • 6-beat kick in freestyle, check. (Though I haven't yet used it in the longer freestyle events, because I haven't entered any lately.)
    • Technique improvements in breaststroke, showing progress.
    • Um... um... um... WEIGHT LOSS (crap!!!)
  5. knelson's Avatar
    assigned: 400 fr breathe every 7
    Yuck.
  6. ande's Avatar
    I got a massage yesterday, took some motrin, & went to bed at 9:00

    It doesn't hurt to lift or swim, but is still a bit tender

    feels a bit better today, might look into ART or chiro if it worsens


    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Did you have your massage yesterday?

    I get these neck cricks + left trap pain things from time to time. Massage helps, but I find that going to see my chiro and doing ART works much better. ART is like a deep tissue on steroids.
  7. kgernert's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    I'm rather guilty of the same thing. I have read that keeping a food log/journal is just as important as keeping a training journal. Keeps you more honest.
    I started keeping a food journal when my husband started Weight Watchers. I made my own worksheet and use it to track not only the number of points I eat, but also how much protein, fruits/veggies, carbs, dairy, etc. I eat too. That's what I've found to be most helpful. In addition, it's helping me cut back a bit during this taper time so I don't put on weight going into Y Nationals. Now, if only it wasn't nearing Easter and the jellybeans stopped jumping into my grocery cart.
  8. ande's Avatar
    Hey Jazz,

    You're not being harsh or repetitive.
    Have you written something to me before?
    If you have a goal, you've got to do what it takes to reach it.
    kind of trying and 2 steps forward 3 steps back won't get you there.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Hands
    Ande, I don't mean to sound harsh or repetitive, but when are you going to get serious about losing weight? It seems like a major goal for you, but it's not enough to weigh yourself and think about eating less. Follow a plan, track your calories. Do something.

    Send me a PM if you're interested and I can talk about what generally works, some of the scientific studies, fads versus long term, and my personal experience.
  9. Jazz Hands's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ande
    Hey Jazz,

    You're not being harsh or repetitive.
    Have you written something to me before?
    If you have a goal, you've got to do what it takes to reach it.
    kind of trying and 2 steps forward 3 steps back won't get you there.
    No, I don't think I have written anything up for you before. Generally I abstain from giving people weight loss advice because I'm not super ripped or anything, but I have had success and I'm very familiar with the psychological aspects. There are essentially three things you need to achieve:

    1. Energy deficit. You need to be eating significantly less food than you use.

    2. Health and strength preservation. Don't cut out important nutrients, or lose weight too fast.

    3. Commitment. Everyone underrates this, but it's the most important factor. I've read weight loss studies where they compare diets for weight loss, and the single strongest indicator of success for an individual is not what diet they are assigned to, but how well they adhere to it. And this isn't about willpower, it's about habit and enjoyability. What can you do to your diet that you will actually like, while losing weight? It's a personal psychological question, and no book is going to have it exactly right, although they will give you ideas about what works for some or most people.

    Again, PM me if you want more detail on how you can do this.
  10. The Fortress's Avatar
    If you're training really hard, #1 is not that simple unless you enjoy feeling hungry.

    If Ande gave up wine and dessert, he would likely make some progress.
    Updated April 6th, 2011 at 10:43 PM by The Fortress
  11. Jazz Hands's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    If you're training really hard, #1 is not that simple unless you enjoy feeling hungry.
    There are ways to do it. Choosing certain foods can change the calorie count over a long period of time, either upward or downward. You don't have to directly try to control it.

    In the most extreme case, imagine somebody who drinks tons of sugared soda every day. Switch them to water or diet soda, and they will lose weight without starving. There are ways to do this to pretty much anyone's diet, even if the diet has the appearance of healthfulness according to our current cultural standards.
  12. jaadams1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Hands
    In the most extreme case, imagine somebody who drinks tons of sugared soda every day. Switch them to water or diet soda, and they will lose weight without starving. There are ways to do this to pretty much anyone's diet, even if the diet has the appearance of healthfulness according to our current cultural standards.
    This is one thing I did this year...but not only for the weight loss effect, though that was a good side effect. From Sept. till now, I've gone from 205 to 190. I did it mainly to cut down on the work at the dentist annually. It was starting to get ridiculous!! I'm probably about 50-70% diet soda now, which is better than 100% sugar loaded! Diet Mountain Dew still is the best "keep you awake drink" for the 3+ hour drive home after the meets. But I'll take whatever I can get too.
  13. Jazz Hands's Avatar
    (Sorry to derail your blog, Ande )

    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    This is one thing I did this year...but not only for the weight loss effect, though that was a good side effect. From Sept. till now, I've gone from 205 to 190. I did it mainly to cut down on the work at the dentist annually. It was starting to get ridiculous!! I'm probably about 50-70% diet soda now, which is better than 100% sugar loaded! Diet Mountain Dew still is the best "keep you awake drink" for the 3+ hour drive home after the meets. But I'll take whatever I can get too.
    Excellent! Do you still crave the sugared sodas? They definitely taste better, but I think if you gradually decrease them until there's none at all, you'll eventually be fine without them. I think of sugary drinks as an occasional food, like dessert.

    Also, try Coke Zero, if you haven't. It's delicious. I'm not being paid by Coca-Cola, I swear. I just really like Coke Zero.

    Pre-emptive defense: This might be a cue for haters to go "oh blech it's so artificial it must be killing you." Read this for my attitude on that: http://www.slate.com/id/2253324/ Obesity kills. That's a fact. Diet soda was improperly linked to cancer. I know which one I would choose.
    Updated April 7th, 2011 at 09:11 AM by Jazz Hands