View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

CZ: No Easy Speed

Rate this Entry
Saturday:

50 free split, 25.9:

Was a bit sluggish in warm up, as I had been all week. Felt like I was spinning my wheels a bit on this race. At first I was disappointed with my time. However, upon reflection, it's not too bad for several reasons. First, the starter held us forever and I got off the blocks extremely slowly for me. I think this likely cost me a couple tenths. Second, I swam a 25.7 last year in a kneeskin with a good start and I felt more rested then. I also swam a 26.2 in Richmond in a B70 on short rest. Since I have worked so little on free lately, don't think I can expect much more. I really need to do some fast 50 frees before Canadian Nats.

50 back split on relay, 28.2

I was held a REALLY long time on the start and got off slowly. Coach said I was perilously close to the 15 meter mark. Both breakouts were not super smooth and my legs felt tired. Jim video'd the race and my turnover slowed down the last 7-8 yards. At first when I touched, I thought my time was 28.8, and was not very happy. Later I saw it was 28.2, and that's pretty good on short rest with the technical issues. I was tired after this race (as I had been all week) and considered scratching the 100 back. I felt like I had no easy speed and therefore knew it would be exceedingly painful. But I decided that would be silly.

100 back, 1:03.5

Decided to use the same strategy I used at the Albatross meet, but I was tired from the start. My splits were pretty even: 30.7 and 32.7. But
my legs were toast and the quads were screaming afterward. The last time I swam the 100 back, in a Jaked at Nats, I went 1:01.9 fully tapered and as the only event I swam that day. So this is probably about right on short rest and as the third event of the day.

Two other thoughts. First, I realize the I have never swum the 100 back in yards untapered. No wonder -- it's painful when the legs aren't rested. Second, not sure I agree with
Quick and Speedo about not dying as much on a 100 back. When you spend so much time underwater, I think the oxygen debt and energy cost is greater.

100 fly on 400 medley relay, 1:04

Before the relay, I had some concerns about
making it through this race with shot legs. I was not able to kick as far as usual and had one of my worst pianos ever in the last 10 yards. Honestly, I thought I had gone a 1:08. So I was surprised to see a 1:04. My recollection is that I've swum a 1:04 every year I've done this relay
at the end of the day.

50 free lead off on 200 free relay:

Had only 3-4 minutes rest after the 100 fly. didn't even bother to think about kicking. Got off the blocks faster on this one, but had
nothing. 26.9. Same time I went last year on this relay with the same lack of rest.

--------------------------------------------------

Commentary:

Whew, survived. . I missed my B70 yesterday -- I think that suit helped when the going gets tough and the legs are dead! I felt less rested for this meet than I did the Warrenton meet. Not sure why. It could be that I trained harder the week before I took a few easy days? Every event felt harder. It is interesting though that my last two relay times were the same as prior years with B70s. If anything, I tend to think that my training is even less suited now to swimming 5 events in a day.

After the meet, I hurried home to go to the airport with the fam. Because of the weather, we were delayed 3.5 hours and didn't get to our hotel until midnight. I only had about 3 hours sleep. Felt bad for Lil Fort, but she was still game to get up very early for her 5K with Mr. Fort. And she ran great. She chopped off major time, ending in around 26:40 and descended every mile. And she had a huge smile on her face whenever I saw her on the course! Mr. Fort said his hamstring didn't bother him, so that was good. We are back from lunch and expo shopping. Dinner with friends later.

Hope everyone swam well today! I saw Speedo put in a very nice 200 free after all that pressure.

Submit "CZ:  No Easy Speed" to Digg Submit "CZ:  No Easy Speed" to del.icio.us Submit "CZ:  No Easy Speed" to StumbleUpon Submit "CZ:  No Easy Speed" to Google

Updated April 17th, 2011 at 03:54 PM by The Fortress

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    50 Free: solid analysis, I thought you would be pissed with this time.

not sure I agree with Quick and Speedo about not dying as much on a 100 back
    I believe that comment was made by Quick to Speedo, neither of which spend as much time underwater as you do (I don't think). Of course if you hit the 15y/m mark on both the frees and the backs, Quick's point is valid

Good job surviving Zones and the airport. Did you try compression tights on the flight? They are supposed to be beneficial to flying as well as recovery.
    Yeah, I wasn't exactly jumping up and down. The starter was really awful. (Jim commented that my backstroke start was uncharacteristically slow as well. I don't think I've ever been held so long.) The start is huge in a 50. I knew it wasn't going to be a stellar time from the get go.

Speedo said the same thing after his 100 back yesterday. But he doesn't stay under much on his 100. One kick one the last length was what he said. It clearly works well for him.

I put the compression tights in my suitcase and then forgot to pull them out. Walked around a lot today, so maybe that helped.
    My times at this meet also prove that Jimby was dead wrong -- a 3 week taper makes a huge difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    My times at this meet also prove that Jimby was dead wrong -- a 3 week taper makes a huge difference.
    LOL, I usually start with this assumption until proven otherwise

When I was reviewing your times last night I forgot that this isn't your taper meet, Montreal is, so the 50 free time isn't all that indicative of what is to come.

Do you know the word for "Go" in Québécois French?
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    LOL, I usually start with this assumption until proven otherwise

When I was reviewing your times last night I forgot that this isn't your taper meet, Montreal is, so the 50 free time isn't all that indicative of what is to come.

Do you know the word for "Go" in Québécois French?
    No what is it?

I don't generally like swimming 50 free first and early in the am. I usually go faster in that event with a warm up event. And I definitely didn't feel remotely tapered; didn't taper at all for SCY this year.

Plus, If I really trained for the 50 free (aside from my obvious sprinting) like Speedo and Jazz, I would probably improve slightly.
    No what is it?
    Was I wearing a little pointy beard and a beret when you last saw me? HTF would I know, but you better find out before the meet

Plus, If I really trained for the 50 free (aside from my obvious sprinting) like Speedo and Jazz, I would probably improve slightly.
    Totally agree, at the level you compete at, you really have to focus to improve at your primary and secondary events. At my level, just showing up semi-regularly results in improvements

Pete's 50: 22.23 He went a little faster at Clovis, but he has to be happy with that.
    Was I wearing a little pointy beard and a beret when you last saw me? HTF would I know, but you better find out before you go.

Pete's 50: 22.23 He went a little faster at Clovis, but he has to be happy with that.
    I thought you were speaking of some slang ...

I think Pete is trying to erase LZR times from his memory bank. A very smart move, I should think. I believe he might have gone a touch faster if it hadn't been his last event of the meet. All those events take a toll.
    I think Pete is trying to erase LZR times from his memory bank. A very smart move, I should think. I believe he might have gone a touch faster if it hadn't been his last event of the meet. All those events take a toll.
    Q and Les- I benefitted immensely from the LZR- more than most folks I think. I was talking to Jim about this in the hottub during our debrief of the meet. We had almost identical dropoffs in our 50-100-200.
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedo
    Q and Les- I benefitted immensely from the LZR- more than most folks I think. I was talking to Jim about this in the hottub during our debrief of the meet. We had almost identical dropoffs in our 50-100-200.
    Oh, I think some folks are faring worse than you.

Not only were the suits fast (especially for short axis for me), but they allowed you to swim more events without the same wear and tear.

Greats times in your core events!
    I thought you were speaking of some slang ...

No, I was referring to the starter holding you for so long. Starting in French might be worse if you don't do a little study before hand.

Yeah, his 50 free time was impressive, even compared to his tech suit times.
    No, I was referring to the starter holding you for so long. Starting in French might be worse if you don't do a little study before hand.

Yeah, his 50 free time was impressive, even compared to his tech suit times.
    I assume go will be the gun -- universal language!

Prenez votre marque is take your mark.
    50 Free: solid analysis, I thought you would be pissed with this time.

I believe that comment was made by Quick to Speedo, neither of which spend as much time underwater as you do (I don't think). Of course if you hit the 15y/m mark on both the frees and the backs, Quick's point is valid

That's a very good point. Staying submerged for more than half the lap can result in some discomfort to say the least!

Very nice results though for not being rested... and not in the B-70.
    Nice solid times...wait...those were all on Saturday!!!!!
    Workin' on you sprint/recovery/sprint again work too it looks like. Good job.
    Definitely a solid meet (and workout) without any sort of rest. That is not a typical meet day for you- nice job!
    - nice job!
    ...same goes for you on a very solid 200 free.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    Nice solid times...wait...those were all on Saturday!!!!!
    Workin' on you sprint/recovery/sprint again work too it looks like. Good job.
    Thx! Yes, a lot of swims for me in one day. I would never do that tapered. We sprinters need our rest. We don't get faster as the garage mounts.
    Quote Originally Posted by quicksilver
    That's a very good point. Staying submerged for more than half the lap can result in some discomfort to say the least!

Very nice results though for not being rested... and not in the B-70.
    Thx Quck. Sorry to disappoint on the 100 back. But I don't usually get close to best times untapered anymore. At least I put in the TT effort.
    Definitely a solid meet (and workout) without any sort of rest. That is not a typical meet day for you- nice job!
    No, not typical. I think I need to increase the lactate work anyway, but definitely need to to swim more than 3 events per day. 5 is obscene.
    Nice swims!

not sure I agree with
    Quick and Speedo about not dying as much on a 100 back. When you spend so much time underwater, I think the oxygen debt and energy cost is greater.
    I agree that it's harder to actually feel like death itself is approaching in backstroke, but I also agree that if you go 15 meters off every wall in short course, the potential for oxygen debt is greater. Last weekend in the 100 back, I tried to do 12 dolphin kicks off every wall, but I ended up doing 12-12-12-9. I was out of air on that last 25 and the penalty for staying underwater would have been carrying a piano to the finish, so I surfaced and went with all-out flutter for the remainder of the race.
    Leslie, tell Scott good luck tomorrow. We have four things in common:

1) my legs were shot from day 1. Absolutely exhausted and later got a cramp on your couch

2) Despite this, I did better on day 2. Beat my Clarion times in the 200 and 50. Swam my second 800 free relay, and broke 2:00 in 3 consecutive 200s (Sat afternoon, Sun morning, Sun morning again), and was happy with that.

3) I got your slow starter for the 50. I couldn't believe how long he held us. It reached the point where I really thought he was going to say stand up, but then the gun went off. But because you had told me about it, I was ready. Got my best time in jammmers--beat last year's Zones time (which was when I first wore the jammers for the 50)--24.56.

4) emboldened by season's bests in the 50 and 200, I put in a split request for the 400 free relay. I was pretty shot at this point but figured I should at least try to see if I could improve Sat's attempt. Alas, I was .03 slower--53.85 on saturday, 53.88 at the almost end of sunday (this was followed, a few minutes later, with a 24.3 relay anchoring.)

All in all a decent enough meet for a sick boy with ticks. What was really cool, after almost never being able to swim on relays, I swam 6 of them at this meet, and we won each one, setting Zones records in most. Our 800 free might just be the top in the country this year. Keep fingers crossed!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast