View RSS Feed

TJ's Blog of Slow Swimming!

David Gregg III Memorial Meet 2-15-2009

Rate this Entry
by , February 15th, 2009 at 04:49 PM (717 Views)
Warmup:
400 easy free
50 2-1-2 fly drill
50 easy back
50 easy breast
2 starts with 25 sprints - 1 fly and 1 free
100 easy free

200 IM - 3:10.59 - I went 3:09.33 in November
Splits - 38.46/53.18/55.84/43.11
The fly was a second and a half slower than in November and did not feel anywhere close to as good.
Back felt pretty good and was 4 1/2 seconds faster than in November
Breast was horrible and 4 seconds slower than November. I don't know what happened there. I think maybe I didn't cool down enough after my 500 on Saturday and I didn't warm up properly this morning.
I tanked my turn in the free, jamming it and slipping. 43 seconds is just unacceptable since it's slower than I held in my 500.
Not a lot good to say about this event other than my backstroke felt much better than it ever has.
200 easy warmdown

200 warmup
2x50 easy to midpoint, accelerate and work wall, breakout and several strokes, easy into wall
100 very easy
50 free - 30:13
I had a good start and felt strong, but my wife said that I didn't rotate very much. I'll have to work on that I guess.:-( I looked back over my 50 free times and this is right in line with my slow improvement. In all fairness, I train more as a distance person or a middle distance person than I do as a sprinter. My speed is slowly improving, but it probably won't make big jumps without a change in training philosophy.

100 fly - 1:27.01
Splits - 40.06/46.95
I felt out of gas most of today, so I didn't have high hopes going into this event. I nearly scratched it after my 200 IM in fact. Julie talked me into doing it anyway. The first lap, I tried to take it out very easy and I felt okay, but the last couple of strokes on the first lap, I could feel the fatigue setting in. The last lap was an exercise in survival. I thought my legs were going to fall off the last 15 yards or so!!! Everyone says that I looked okay, other than shortening my stroke over the last 35 yards or so, but it felt like I was flailing! I'll keep working on it! And hey, I didn't drown or get DQed!
250 easy one arm fly cooldown.

1900 yards

Submit "David Gregg III Memorial Meet 2-15-2009" to Digg Submit "David Gregg III Memorial Meet 2-15-2009" to del.icio.us Submit "David Gregg III Memorial Meet 2-15-2009" to StumbleUpon Submit "David Gregg III Memorial Meet 2-15-2009" to Google

Updated February 16th, 2009 at 02:48 PM by Iwannafly (Add times and splits.)

Categories
Masters Swim Meets / Events

Comments

Great job, TJ! That's how most of the 100 flys I swim feel. LOL. I think they always feel worse than they look. I always have the urge to scratch it too --- have to resist that urge sometimes. Keep up the good work!
    That's what friends are for! When I announced that I would not be doing the 100 back today, it was met with several encouraging comments from the gang. Turned out to be not-so-bad! Great to see you!!!!! Way to go on that 100 fly!!!!
    Thanks to both of you. I got lots of encouragement from 'the gang' and it was much fun to watch Chris and Jeff go so fast! Mollie too!

It was good to see everyone there.
    Great job!!! At least you're getting out there and trying. You have something to gauge yourself against for next time.

Heck, I can't even swim a 100 fly, or probably a 200 IM for that matter, so you're way ahead of many other swimmers just for finishing.