View RSS Feed

Vlog the Inhaler, or The Occasional Video Blog Musings of Jim Thornton

Vocabulary builder. Say what?

Rate this Entry
nadir Noun
1. the point in the sky directly below an observer and opposite the zenith
2. the lowest or worst point of anything: I had touched the very nadir of despair [Arabic nazīr as-samt, literally: opposite the zenith]

self-pit·y
(slfpt)n. Pity for oneself, especially exaggerated or self-indulgent pity.

no mas
spanish
In boxing shorthand, it became known as the No Más Fight after [Roberto] Duran was said to have uttered the infamous words while quitting the fight in the eighth round. Both he and his corner have always denied it, saying that he actually said that "my stomach is hurting too much" and that the press had doctored the quote to create the eye-catching headline.

audit
n.
An audit is an IRS examination of an individual or corporation's tax return, to verify its accuracy. There are three types of audits: correspondence audits (the IRS mails a request for additional information), office audits (an interview is conducted at a local IRS office), and field audits (an interview is conducted at a taxpayer's place of business, for a corporate tax return). Since there is always the chance of an audit, experts recommend keeping good records to support all the information in a return. The reason detailed and accurate bookkeeping is so important is that the burden of proof is on the filer, not the IRS.

Book of Job
narrative summary
There was an extremely pious man named Job. He was very prosperous and had seven sons, and three daughters. Constantly fearing that his sons may have sinned and "cursed God in their hearts" he habitually offered burnt offerings as a pardon for their sins.[2]
The angels of heaven (the Hebrew word translated as "Angels" means "the Sons of God") and [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satan"]Satan[/ame] (literally, the Hebrew word means "the accuser" or "the adversary") present themselves to God. God asks Satan his opinion on Job, apparently a truly pious man. Satan answers that Job is only pious because he is prosperous. In response to Satan's assertion, God gives Satan permission to destroy Job's possessions and family.[3]
All of Job's possessions are destroyed and all of his offspring are killed. Job does not curse God after this but instead shaves his head, tears his clothes and says "Naked I came out of my mother's womb, and naked shall I return : the Lord has given, and the Lord has taken away; blessed be the name of the Lord" (Simplified).[4]
As Job endures these calamities without reproaching [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divine_Providence"]Divine Providence[/ame], Satan solicits permission to afflict his person as well, and God says, "Behold he is in your hand, but don’t touch his life." Satan, therefore, smites him with dreadful [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boil"]boils[/ame], and Job, seated in ashes, scrapes his skin with broken pottery. His wife prompts him to "curse God, and die" but Job answers, "Shall we accept good from God, and not trouble?" In all of this, Job doesn't sin by cursing God.
In the meantime, only three of Job's friends come to visit him in his misfortune — Eliphaz the Temanite, [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bildad"]Bildad[/ame] the Shuhite, and [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zophar"]Zophar[/ame] the [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naamathite"]Naamathite[/ame]. A fourth, Elihu the Buzite, first begins talking in chapter 32 and bears a distinguished part in the dialogue; his arrival is not noted. The friends spend 7 days sitting on the ground with Job, without saying anything to him because they see that he is suffering and in much pain. Job at last breaks his silence and "curses the day he was born".

Buboes: Smooth, oval, reddened, and very painful swellings in the armpits, groin, or neck that occur as a result of infection with the plague.

Delusions of grandeur (as distinct from megalomania and delusions of persecution)

Delusions of grandeur may be seen as distinct from megalomania: An overweening and excessive preoccupation with one's own importance, though it may be considered pathological, is not necessarily delusional. A delusion of grandeur, if it is a true delusion, must meet the psychiatric criteria for delusion. Whereas it is possible, in the case of megalomania, for an actually important man/woman to be preoccupied with his/her own actual importance, a person suffering from delusions of grandeur would stubbornly entertain patently false, generally fantastic and often highly complex ideas of his/her own importance, often with a [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supernatural"]supernatural[/ame] or science-fictional bent.

Delusions of persecution may be intrinsically related to - and the flip-side of - delusions of grandeur in that the very idea that one is being persecuted by a complex of conspirators involves a sense of greatly elevated self-importance. Delusions of persecution, though generally disturbing and unpleasant - i.e. affectively different - can be seen to similarly arise from a grandiose self-conception.

Adj.1.babyish - characteristic of a baby; "babyish tears and petulance"immature - characteristic of a lack of maturity; "immature behavior"

rhinovirus,n any of about 100 serologically distinct, small ribonucleic acid viruses that cause about 40% of acute respiratory illnesses. Infection is characterized by dry, scratchy throat, nasal congestion, malaise, and headache. Fever is minimal. Nasal discharge lasts 2 or 3 days.

50 Freestyle SCM Men 55-59 (2008)
# Name Age Club LMSC Time 1 Paul T Trevisan 57 SYSM Florida 25.16 2 Mike Tennant 55 OREG Oregon 25.94 3 Casey Claflin 55 TMM Florida 26.25 4 Wes Edwards 55 OREG Oregon 26.44 5 Greg J Shaw 57 NEM New England 26.51 6 Tate Holt 57 TAM Pacific 26.82 7 Edward Bell 55 SKY Kentucky 27.08 8 Larry Philbrick 56 OREG Oregon 27.14 9 James Thornton 56 TPIT Allegheny 27.16 10 Jim Clemmons 58 MAM Pacific 27.21

100 Freestyle SCM Men 55-59 (2008)

# Name Age Club LMSC Time 1 Paul T Trevisan 57 SYSM Florida 57.11 2 Mike Tennant 55 OREG Oregon 57.52 3 Phil L Dodson 55 IM Illinois 58.73 4 James Thornton 56 TPIT Allegheny 58.89 5 Jim Clemmons 58 MAM Pacific 59.06 6 Edward Bell 55 SKY Kentucky 59.52 7 George L Schmidt 58 GOLD Florida Gold Coast 59.69 8 Larry Krauser 55 HMS Inland Northwest 1:00.77 9 Tate Holt 57 TAM Pacific 1:00.92 10 Robert H Wilson 57 NMMS New Mexico 1:01.52

200 Freestyle SCM Men 55-59 (2008)

# Name Age Club LMSC Time 1 Phil Dodson 55 IM Illinois 2:06.97 2 Jim Clemmons 58 MAM Pacific 2:07.78 3 James Thornton 56 TPIT Allegheny 2:11.98 4 Kevin M McCormack 56 SYSM Florida 2:12.11 5 Edward Bell 55 SKY Kentucky 2:12.34 6 Rick B Walker 58 SYSM Florida 2:12.77 7 Mike Tennant 55 OREG Oregon 2:14.83 8 Mike Pendleton 56 OREG Oregon 2:15.48 9 Steve Heck 59 KAMS Gulf 2:16.57 10 John Needham 55 WM Metropolitan 2:18.44

400 Freestyle SCM Men 55-59 (2008)

# Name Age Club LMSC Time 1 Jim Clemmons 58 MAM Pacific 4:35.22 2 Larry Krauser 55 HMS Inland Northwest 4:36.79 3 Phil Dodson 55 IM Illinois 4:37.61 4 James Thornton 56 TPIT Allegheny 4:40.15 5 Alan Bell 58 PNA Pacific Northwest 4:47.22 6 John Needham 55 WM Metropolitan 4:49.81 7 Mike Pendleton 56 OREG Oregon 4:50.38 8 Fred Ferroggiaro 55 TOC Pacific 4:51.40 9 Edward Bell 55 SKY Kentucky 4:52.41 10 Frank Thompson 57 MICH Michigan 4:56.74

400 Individual Medley SCM Men 55-59 (2008)

# Name Age Club LMSC Time 1 Jim Clemmons 58 MAM Pacific 5:13.35 2 Hubie Kerns 59 VCM Southern Pacific 5:30.41 3 Robert V Brown 56 AWJ Georgia 5:37.71 4 Mike Tennant 55 OREG Oregon 5:38.39 5 James Thornton 56 TPIT Allegheny 5:47.02 6 Steve Heck 59 KAMS Gulf 5:53.73 7 William J Geoghegan 58 CONN Connecticut 6:06.97 8 Charles F Holum 56 CMS Colorado 6:12.97 9 James B Lucas 58 LAAC Southern Pacific 6:21.49 10 Don R Perry 55 ARIZ Arizona 6:25.54

Submit "Vocabulary builder.  Say what?" to Digg Submit "Vocabulary builder.  Say what?" to del.icio.us Submit "Vocabulary builder.  Say what?" to StumbleUpon Submit "Vocabulary builder.  Say what?" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Wonderful! Insightful, moving, stoical, and nary a whiff of self-pity!
    Is this the dictionary of commonly unknow words used by Vlog the Inhaler in his Vlog?
    Good job on the "top ten times!"
    400 IM? Wow. Toughest event out there. Congrats, Mr. Vlog, on all the top times.

Keep on Inhalin'
    A+
    Thanks, one and all. The vocabulary list was generated by the following sequence:

1. last wednesday, i stopped off at the mail box en route to swimming practice and learned that i was going to be audited by the IRS
    2. i swam a very exhausting IM workout
    3. when i got home, i noticed my throat was scratchy, shrugged this off with the thought, "No, much too early to be sick again"
    4. awakened at 4 a.m. in full-blown rhinovirus malaise mode
    5. hoped i would recover in time to swim in small Y meet Sunday
    6. got worse, symptoms of listlessness, sinus pain, wake-sleep cycle indistinguishability, and so forth
    7. reveries of total financial ruin running nonstop, aggravated by Power Lunch and other CNBC programming about the Worst Financial Cataclysm of All time, which I had on in the background to foster sleep
    8. self-pity intensifies
    9. gray stubble lengthens
    10. corpse-like qualities enhanced
    11. unable to swim in meet; no mas, the inner Roberto Duran speaks to me
    12. slight improvement
    13. slight sense that perhaps I am overwrought
    14. a bit more improvement following one of the funniest episodes of Flight of the Conchords of all time
    15. decision that though still too weak and unfunny to vlog worth a damn, might nevertheless assemble of list of vocabulary words and phrases that have figured prominently in my cognitive life over the past several days
    16. realized that my SCM performances, albeit for proof reading purposes as yet and not totally official, are nevertheless cause for guarded old coot optimism
    17. awoke with the hope that perhaps I am not Job afterall, simply a Jimby rendered temporarily babyish by the IRS and a cold
    The IRS sucks. They recently audited my 2006 returns and now they are on 2007. I'm sure there are some cabinet members/nominations that could use the harassment much more than I. I too plan to rise above the gray-stubbled, wretched Roberto Duran/Job/Willie Loman-like state and embrace my short-course meters mediocrity..."if you're not first, you're last."
    Kurt, are we the same person?