View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Thursday, May 12

Rate this Entry
Drylands:

RC work
standing barbell shoulder press, 50 x 5 x 5
-- Never done this before. They got easier as I went along. Can this be an alternative to bench pressing in the "push" category?
seated row negatives, 80 x 3 x 8
deadlift singles, 145 x 6
tricep press, 50 x 2 x 8
back extensions, 25 x 1 x 15
--- Hamstrings were sore from bikram and this exercise bothered them.
chin ups, 3 x 4
-- Well, I can tell I haven't done these in half a century.
box jumps, 10
altitude drops, 10
knee tuck jumps, 2 x 10

20 minutes foam roller, yoga & stretching

Swim/LCM @ GMU:

Warm up:

200 S-K-D-K-D

Main Sets:

2 x 100 free
50 tricep finish drill + 50 overkick free

4 x 200 kick w/fins @ 4:00
50 flutter kick w/board
50 fast dolphin kick on back
50 backstroke kick
50 flutter kick w/board
-- Went 2:36, 2:34, 2:32, 2:32, not bad for LC.

100 EZ

9 x 100 @ 2:00
3 x 100 25 fast fly + 75 easy free
3 x 100 25 fast back + 75 easy free
3 x 100 25 fast breast + 75 easy free
-- On the 75 free, I did a 25 back kick after the sprint so I could catch my breath and then a 50 free.
--- Speedo and I agreed that "easy free" doesn't seem so easy in LC.

50 fast stroke from a dive
-- I went fly with fins from a push. The coach must have given me a serious roll start b/c I saw 28 on the clock. I did, however, cheat and stay under for about 20 meters after the push.

50 EZ

6 x 100 pull @ 1:35, 2nd & 5th ones fast
-- I did them all mod speed, 3 pull & 3 kick -- was all tuckered out.

50 EZ (instead of 200)

Total: 3700 m

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

Enjoyed the workout. Didn't feel as much like I was swimming in open water during the warm up and felt pretty strong until the last 6 x 100 set.

The Charmer was extra charming tonight. He is a "purist" and believes in the "integrity of the set" (even though he won't use equipment when it's assigned). His "times" are about "what is on the GMU record board," his brother is going to beat Kirk Nelson in some OW swim with salmon in the name, and he is hoping to swim his college times (really?) and loves to talk about them. At some point, fortunately, I had the opportunity to fill him in a tad on Speedo's speed and defend our one team breaststroker. Despite swimming in the same lane, he hasn't even asked what my name is. Sheesh!

Submit "Thursday, May 12" to Digg Submit "Thursday, May 12" to del.icio.us Submit "Thursday, May 12" to StumbleUpon Submit "Thursday, May 12" to Google

Updated May 13th, 2011 at 11:20 AM by The Fortress

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Charmer needs to go to a meet to have his expectations and ego put in check. I swim with about a dozen former D1 swimmers and the only time they will mention their college times is when asked. And, when they do tell them, they laugh at how far they are from them now, even though they are all in fantastic and fast swim shape.
    Same with Peter and Cheryl. They never volunteer their times from when they were elites. I have to do some hard digging to get Peter to talk. One time I found out that he had beaten Michael Gross in the 200 fly (just before the 84 games?), for chrissake, and then the subject changed.

I had to use Google to find out that Cheryl still holds an all-time top 5 time in the 200 free (and possibly other events) at Arkansas.

It's like pulling teeth with those two.

Maybe being satisfied with how far you made it has something to do with it?
    he hasn't even asked what my name is.
    It is not something that needs to be asked, it is just something that is known. I think it is one of the inate truths.

See if you can return The Charmer and get Cage Fighter back.
    Beating Gross is truly impressive, jaw dropping actually.

One guy I swim with beat (I think) or, at the very least, was competitive with Joe Hudepohl in high school. He told me this and I almost cried. Hudepohl, in my opinion, is the greatest high school swimmer of all time, and one heck of an Olympian to boot.
    his brother is going to beat Kirk Nelson in some OW swim with salmon in the name
    What? Now I'm curious who this guy is!

Fat Salmon, by the way.
    Quote Originally Posted by aquageek
    The Charmer needs to go to a meet to have his expectations and ego put in check. I swim with about a dozen former D1 swimmers and the only time they will mention their college times is when asked. And, when they do tell them, they laugh at how far they are from them now, even though they are all in fantastic and fast swim shape.
    I rarely hear any elite masters swimmers mentioning their college times. Or even going on about their masters times. (Couple exceptions of people who like to talk about themselves.) And this guy is nowhere near, even remotely near, those kind of times.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    It is not something that needs to be asked, it is just something that is known. I think it is one of the inate truths.

See if you can return The Charmer and get Cage Fighter back.
    I usually ask the names of people in my lane if I don't know them. Seems rather rude to start criticizing someone you don't even know.

Cage Fighter has a lot more reason to have a big ego than The Charmer, and he doesn't.
    You must be too nice. I think after about 2 minutes of that we would tell him to shut it and swim.

We are usually very happy to have another fool join us at 5:30 am and make a point to introduce ourselves. Right now all the college kiddies and kids headed to college are rejoining us and that hurts my fragile distance ego.
    Updated May 13th, 2011 at 11:08 AM by aquageek
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedo
    Same with Peter and Cheryl. They never volunteer their times from when they were elites. I have to do some hard digging to get Peter to talk. One time I found out that he had beaten Michael Gross in the 200 fly (just before the 84 games?), for chrissake, and then the subject changed.

I had to use Google to find out that Cheryl still holds an all-time top 5 time in the 200 free (and possibly other events) at Arkansas.

It's like pulling teeth with those two.

Maybe being satisfied with how far you made it has something to do with it?
    Did you see the email Cheryl send out this am? I have to think that was on purpose, as she mentioned saying something similar if the moment arose last night. LOL!
    You must be too nice. I think after about 2 minutes of that we would tell him to shut it and swim.
    Speedo was much nicer to him than me, and in general is a nicer person than me. I got on his case several times during the practice, one time making Cheryl crack up.
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    What? Now I'm curious who this guy is!

Fat Salmon, by the way.
    I'll PM you his name. Only knew his first name, but think I saw his last name on a team email.
    Is his name Mike Quinn, by chance?

I'm going to restart my blog. I have too much smack to talk and it's killing me.
    Is his name Mike Quinn, by chance?

I'm going to restart my blog. I have too much smack to talk and it's killing me.
    No, Mike doesn't talk admiringly about himself.

That is awesome news about your blog. I really enjoyed reading it. And smack talk is, of course, the best.
    Despite swimming in the same lane, he hasn't even asked what my name is. Sheesh!
    The worst is when you swim with someone a few times and never caught (or just forgot) their name. There's this point of no return after which asking their name would just be too embarrassing!
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    The worst is when you swim with someone a few times and never caught (or just forgot) their name. There's this point of no return after which asking their name would just be too embarrassing!
    In this case, I've asked the coach. If they don't know they have a good way of asking. We've had a few times where we'd chat about someone in the lane to see if anyone knew the new person.

What I really hate is people who think they're a super great swimmer and everyone will know them. As someone who didn't swim as a kid, and generally doesn't pay attention to sports at all, I usually know no one, except for a few locals and maybe a few from the forums. But I've also had the opposite happen. After an evening workout at ASU Mona Plummer a few years ago where Nick Brunelli joined us, he came up to me in the locker room and introduced himself. Of course I knew who he was, but evidently he didn't know me.
    This guy sounds like a real prize, Fort! Somebody should order a cap with "Charmer" printed on it, and slip it into his bag or locker.
    Suppose you could steer the Charmer to some new entries in the "Rosetta Stone" series:

"Why the only person who truly cares about your college swim times is your mother"

"When at swim practice and you're new you should generally shut up and swim"

or my personal fav for some folks

"I used to be a D-bag and now I'm not"

My wise-a comes out sometimes, not intended to offend anyone. --mike
    The blog is back, on a trial basis.
    Quote Originally Posted by scyfreestyler
    This guy sounds like a real prize, Fort! Somebody should order a cap with "Charmer" printed on it, and slip it into his bag or locker.
    Good idea, Matt! Fortunately, I won't see him much over the summer since our team is not active for a couple months. I suspect after some drubbing, he might shut up more.
    Quote Originally Posted by mj_mcgrath
    Suppose you could steer the Charmer to some new entries in the "Rosetta Stone" series:

"Why the only person who truly cares about your college swim times is your mother"

"When at swim practice and you're new you should generally shut up and swim"

or my personal fav for some folks

"I used to be a D-bag and now I'm not"

My wise-a comes out sometimes, not intended to offend anyone. --mike
    Excellent list! I'm going to try one of those next time he starts.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast