View RSS Feed

Of Swimming Bondage

It wasn't pretty, but ...

Rate this Entry
... it was much faster than this morning. I swam the 200 fly in finals tonight and dropped another couple of seconds by going 2:21.61, taking off all the time (and then some) on the 1st 100 (out in 1:07.29 tonight vs.1:09.62 this morning) and then giving back some on the 2nd 100 (back in 1:14.32 tonight vs. 1:14.01 this morning). The competition definitely helped me get out stronger and faster (even in an outside lane!), but I also don't have the LCM conditioning to come home like I'd like to. I'm VERY happy with the swim and was very surprised to see the time because it was much more painful than this morning.

My stroke count, FYI, was 20, 24, 26 and then I stopped counting at 34 on the last piano-painful 50. Definitely not as pretty as my smoother morning swim probably was. At some point tomorrow, I think the video will be posted here: http://tv.swimmingworldmagazine.com/...cactus-classic.

Submit "It wasn't pretty, but ..." to Digg Submit "It wasn't pretty, but ..." to del.icio.us Submit "It wasn't pretty, but ..." to StumbleUpon Submit "It wasn't pretty, but ..." to Google

Comments

Patrick, you are amazing! Congratulations!! To be able to drop a few more seconds is great! Hope the rest of the weekend is just as fun for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    Patrick, you are amazing! Congratulations!! To be able to drop a few more seconds is great! Hope the rest of the weekend is just as fun for you.
    Thanks! I hope it didn't waste me for the rest of the weekend.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Thanks! I hope it didn't waste me for the rest of the weekend.
    I think my 200 LCM Fly next weekend is my 3rd swim of 4 on Saturday, after the 1500 on Friday evening also. I just want to get under a 2:30.
    I'm fearing the 1500 since I haven't done that in LCM since I was 18 yrs. old.
    Great job pwb! Keeping with James' theme, I am swimming the 200 LCM fly 4th out of the long-distance pentathlon events in a couple weeks. Check this out: http://www.swimphone.com/mobile/meet....cfm?smid=3103 At the moment there is only one entry in the 200 BR, 200 FL, and 400 IM -- me! There's still a week left for more people to enter; I hope I'm not swimming those events alone!

Edit: if that did happen, I would definitely collect the #$#%*( ribbon.
    Quote Originally Posted by That Guy
    http://www.swimphone.com/mobile/meet....cfm?smid=3103 At the moment there is only one entry in the 200 BR, 200 FL, and 400 IM -- me! There's still a week left for more people to enter; I hope I'm not swimming those events alone!
    That would be really fun though if no one else entered!
    I think that you are pretty well conditioned if you are doing a 2:21 right now unrested. Good going! Doing finals is fun.
    Congrats Patrick. Dropping 2 seconds from prelims to finals is amazing considering the original plan was to skip finals. It is hard to believe added competition is worth that much.
    Quote Originally Posted by That Guy
    Great job pwb! Keeping with James' theme, I am swimming the 200 LCM fly 4th out of the long-distance pentathlon events in a couple weeks. Check this out: http://www.swimphone.com/mobile/meet....cfm?smid=3103 At the moment there is only one entry in the 200 BR, 200 FL, and 400 IM -- me!
    I don't know what would be worse -- to swim the 200 fly first in that order and be wasted for the rest of the events or to do it how you're going to do it. Either way, that's a tough day.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    I think that you are pretty well conditioned if you are doing a 2:21 right now unrested. Good going! Doing finals is fun.
    Thanks. Yeah, it was fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    It is hard to believe added competition is worth that much.
    Well, maybe not. I was definitely more scared of the race going into the morning session than the evening, so I let loose a little more tonight ... probably too much on the 1st 50 in retrospect.
    Just wonderful Patrick! Good luck this weekend.
    You are an oddity, pwb- that's a phenomenal swim! It will place you well in the TT, and maybe in the FINA rankings as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedo
    You are an oddity, pwb- that's a phenomenal swim! It will place you well in the TT, and maybe in the FINA rankings as well.
    Thanks. I think I'll need to swim it again this summer in a different pool. As much as I like Cactus, it's a bulkheaded pool and they've never hosted (at least since 2001) a Masters meet so it's not been measured even once for Masters. I probably will swim it in early July at the AZ Senior State meet and that will be in a fixed length pool that is already measured/certified by USMS; I'll just need to go faster there.
    Oh, that's too bad this time won't count, but given you're unrested it sounds like there's a good chance you'll be able to better it. Will you rest for the July meet?
    Nice swim!
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedo
    Will you rest for the July meet?
    A little bit. I'm hoping to swim at USAS Sectionals, but will only be there the last two days, meaning that I need to make cuts in, ideally, two of: 400 or 1500, 100 fly or 200 IM. I'll take a shot at the 400 and 1500 in a few weeks; I'll see where my 100 fly and 200 IM end up this weekend.