View RSS Feed

Of Swimming Bondage

Surprising Finals

Rate this Entry
Not sure what contributed to my good swim tonight ...

• the nap at 3:30?
  • the yoga and stretching at 4:00?
  • the cup of tea at 4:30?
  • the Tracer Light?

... or maybe it was just the competition. I was sandwiched between two 15 year olds tonight for the 100 fly, sitting in lane 2 with the kid who won the 200 fly in lane 3. As I hadn't died in my 200 fly (too badly) and felt strong in my prelims 100 fly, I figured I'd try to go out strong and controlled, but sticking as close to the guy in lane 3 as possible. I can't say I really stuck with him, but his speed and the guy in lane 1 definitely got me going (see video here http://tv.swimmingworldmagazine.com/...ic/races/11219). The last 25 hurt like hell, but I was pleasantly surprised to see a 1:02.34 on the clock, a second drop from this morning. Sweet night.

Tomorrow's the bear of the day: I realized when looking through the heat sheet that I had also signed up for the 200 IM. I had forgotten that somehow, so I have the 200 back, 50 fly and 200 IM tomorrow. It should be fun. These are awesome quality workouts with a touch on endurance to seal the pain come Monday with the 800.

Submit "Surprising Finals" to Digg Submit "Surprising Finals" to del.icio.us Submit "Surprising Finals" to StumbleUpon Submit "Surprising Finals" to Google

Comments

Not sure what contributed to my good swim tonight ...

• the nap at 3:30?
    • the yoga and stretching at 4:00?
    • the cup of tea at 4:30?
    • the Tracer Light?
    Maybe it's what you have been doing over the past weeks and months, (like your choice of quality not garbage yardage in workouts) not some minor choice on the day of the meet.
    of those 4 things listed, I think the nap is the most significant. In my experience, getting some sleep between meet sessions (or between practices of a double) guarantees great swimming in the later session.

Great job!
    Nice swim again! Good job.
    Patrick, great swim!!!! Something to work on tho is that it sure looks like you have a lot of distance that your head travels. When it's down, it appears that you bury your head a little too much and then you bring your head almost vertical at the highest point of your breath.

That is causing a lot of undulation in your hips and appears to be robbing some of the power of your kick. It was across the pool so maybe I'm not seeing it correctly.

But an awesome swim, 1:02 LCM 100 Fly is pretty dang fast!!!
    It seems like going out faster gets you reved up and results in significantly faster times, albeit the race is more painful. Going 1sec/100 faster at night in the fly events is outstanding.
    You forgot the cumulative effect of mainlining espresso all day.

Really, I think you are a racer and just step it up as the competition increases.

Good luck today!

Edit: I know it sounds like I am contradicting myself from yesterday, but "hard to believe" yesterday was astonished not doubtful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    Maybe it's what you have been doing over the past weeks and months, (like your choice of quality not garbage yardage in workouts) not some minor choice on the day of the meet.
    Yeah, for sure that's putting me in good racing shape, but I am trying to figure out why I am able to go much faster at night. I am not complaining, but would like to know so that when I get into a Masters meet with only one shot,I do the right prep day of meet.
    Quote Originally Posted by That Guy
    of those 4 things listed, I think the nap is the most significant. In my experience, getting some sleep between meet sessions (or between practices of a double) guarantees great swimming in the later session.

Great job!
    Yeah, it was only about 15 minutes, but it was sooo refreshing.
    great times, I think it is definitely the.............tea!
    I just watched the video! Awesome that you are racing the kids!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by pwolf66
    Patrick, great swim!!!! Something to work on tho is that it sure looks like you have a lot of distance that your head travels. When it's down, it appears that you bury your head a little too much and then you bring your head almost vertical at the highest point of your breath.

That is causing a lot of undulation in your hips and appears to be robbing some of the power of your kick. It was across the pool so maybe I'm not seeing it correctly.

But an awesome swim, 1:02 LCM 100 Fly is pretty dang fast!!!
    Paul, thanks so much. This is great feedback. I've got to remember to set my flip up on a tripod and tape some of my training sessions while playing around with different attempts at technique variations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedo
    It seems like going out faster gets you reved up and results in significantly faster times, albeit the race is more painful. Going 1sec/100 faster at night in the fly events is outstanding.
    for sure. My natural tendency is to pace races too much on the front half so getting pullled out faster definitely helps ... And hurts!
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    You forgot the cumulative effect of mainlining espresso all day.

Really, I think you are a racer and just step it up as the competition increases.
    I have kept my espresso intake the same this weekend, at least for Friday and Saturday, but I might need to amp it up Sunday and Monday.

As for racing, I do like it. Probably the biggest change for me in Masters versus late HS and college is that I have re-discovered the joy of racing. Yeah, I still put pressure on myself, but the anxiety in late HS and college tended to distract a lot from the joy of racing. It's way more fun now. A lot of the parents have asked me why I am doing this and I just tell them it's because I love to race.