View RSS Feed

Of Swimming Bondage

Feeling 44

Rate this Entry
by , May 29th, 2011 at 02:34 PM (88 Views)
I was definitely feeling my age this morning. Given the layout of the meet (e.g., 3 finals heats), I figured I could cruise my 200s this morning to get into finals and work the 50 fly. Even with cruising, though, I'm not sure pushing these this AM would've resulted in much faster times; I was feeling the weight of this being my 5th session of swimming. I did make a tactical error on the 200 IM ... a little too cruiseful!

200 back

• Was 2:27.40 with a nearly even split of 1:13.6 / 1:13.8. It felt exceedingly relaxed for the first 100, I built the next 50 and then really only pushed the last 50 very hard. This compares well with the 2:25.98 I went (but got DQ'd) in Victoria. Not sure how much faster I can be tonight, but qualified 4th.

50 fly

• I know I'm not training for sprints, but I did the thing I always do with fly: I try to sprint and I go slower. No one got my split last night going out in the 100 fly, but it had to be pretty close to the 29.63 I went this morning. Technically, this is still a best time as I have never raced it LCM as a Masters swimmer. I qualified 13th, but scratched this as it will only be about 10 minutes after my 200 back final tonight.

200 IM

• My tactical error was here. I had thought I could cruise this and get into the A final, but was a little too cruiseful and qualified 9th with a 2:26.98; 8th was 2:25.77. I was 2:23.94 at Victoria and think I can approach that tonight and hopefully beat it. As my 200 fly and 200 IM times have historically been very close, I'd really like to see a 2:22+ tonight. We'll see how the old body holds up.

Submit "Feeling 44" to Digg Submit "Feeling 44" to del.icio.us Submit "Feeling 44" to StumbleUpon Submit "Feeling 44" to Google

Comments

Awesome 200 times. I have a feeling you'll make it into the A Final in the 200 IM. Someone will be wanting to get their kids outta there for the trips home on Sunday. Usually happens.
    Go drink some Tea!
    Take a nap!
    Good luck! Tough to judge that cruising sometimes, especially if you're in an early circle seeded heat. How many guys beat you in your heat?
    Quote Originally Posted by gdanner
    Good luck! Tough to judge that cruising sometimes, especially if you're in an early circle seeded heat. How many guys beat you in your heat?
    I was in the last circle seeded heat and was 3rd. I had the good sense to pass the guy in lane 5 on the free, but the other heats were just faster. It's no big deal. There will be guys in the consol heat have had entry times to the meet ahead of me, so I think I'll still get pushed well tonight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedo
    Take a nap!
    Will do
    Quote Originally Posted by Viva O Fear
    Go drink some Tea!
    it'll be steeping while I sleep.
    44 is young, and you're swimming great!!