View RSS Feed

Of Swimming Bondage

6.72 secs to being chicked ...

Rate this Entry
by , June 16th, 2011 at 10:27 PM (126 Views)
... by my daughter in the 1500. She dropped 11 seconds (in-season, unrested, 4 days after the 5K OW race) to go 18:22.08. I put up a respectable Masters best of 18:15.36. Not much longer now.

My aggregate time doesn't explain my whole race, though. The 500s paint an uglier picture:
* 5:50.8 = man, I feel smooth.
* 6:09.9 = holy mother of god am I not in shape for this sh*t
* 6:14.7 = please, Mr. Referee, you should've shot me and put me out of my misery at about the 750 mark

I did what I said I was going to do and tried to hang with the 15 year old next to me. I was 4:38.9 at the 400, too darn close to my 4:33 Masters best, and then 9:30.8 at the 800, almost exactly what I went 2+ weeks ago. So, while it was a bit of an absurd race strategy, I am actually happy with the end result.

I will enter this and swim it again at another USAS meet in 3 weeks.

Submit "6.72 secs to being chicked ..." to Digg Submit "6.72 secs to being chicked ..." to del.icio.us Submit "6.72 secs to being chicked ..." to StumbleUpon Submit "6.72 secs to being chicked ..." to Google

Comments

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Way to go Patrick!! It takes guts to go for it like that in the long races. I like to do very similar race strategies in a few of my races. I'd rather be dying at the end than have way too much left in the tank and wishing for a do-over.
    Congrats on a great swim!
    That post was hilarious. Having that realization mid-race is the worst. Give em hell in 3 weeks!
    Quote Originally Posted by gdanner
    That post was hilarious. Having that realization mid-race is the worst. Give em hell in 3 weeks!
    I also had similar thoughts during my 1500 the first week in June. Around the 900 point or so, my body was trying to climb out, but my mind kept telling my body "Top Ten - It's All That Matters!!"
    Great swim pwb! I expect you'll be bursting with pride when your daughter beats you
    Quote Originally Posted by That Guy
    Great swim pwb! I expect you'll be bursting with pride when your daughter beats you
    Do the good thing...RETIRE WHILE YOU'RE AHEAD!!!!
    The splits may be a little ugly, but the end result is a pretty nice swim!
    Quote Originally Posted by gdanner
    That post was hilarious. Having that realization mid-race is the worst.
    Yes, it was. Fortunately, it was a nice evening and I could enjoy the cool water and sweet pool while trying to keep my mind off the pain.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    Way to go Patrick!! It takes guts to go for it like that in the long races. I like to do very similar race strategies in a few of my races. I'd rather be dying at the end than have way too much left in the tank and wishing for a do-over.
    Congrats on a great swim!
    Thanks, James. For the first 400 to 500 or so, though, I didn't feel like I was going out too fast. I really felt strong. However, once I started to feel some pain, the leaden arms came on soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by That Guy
    Absolutely. And, it will happen this summer. Maybe in as little as 3 weeks.
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    The splits may be a little ugly, but the end result is a pretty nice swim!
    Yeah and the end result is pretty much what matters.
    It is good to see you back in the real swimming races.
    good job! you are in shape, please! You will do better in a few weeks. That is fascinating to do a 1500 at the end of the day.
    Quote Originally Posted by aquageek
    It is good to see you back in the real swimming races.
    Glad your approve ... but shield your eyes when I swim the 100 back on Sunday.
    Strong swim! On the prospect of being beaten by your daughter you write,
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    ...it will happen this summer. Maybe in as little as 3 weeks.
    yea, but make her *earn* it.
    Fast time- congrats in the PB! The splitting draws a painful picture. Willikers- distance swimming is a totally different sport than events <200m. I feel like I am similarly prepared (if not more so) for a game of basketball just because a shirt is not required for that either. Again, nice job!
    Ouch, that sounded painful. Congrats on just surviving and it is great you pulled a PB off.

Congrats to your daughter and I am a little envious of her recovery time... and a lot of her speed

Do the next 3 weeks look good for training?
    Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt
    good job! you are in shape, please!
    Thanks. While, yes, I'm probably near the best swimming shape I've been in Masters, swimming next to the energizer bunny kids brings it home in very stark contrast how much different being in AWESOME shape could be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S
    Strong swim! On the prospect of being beaten by your daughter you write,
    yea, but make her *earn* it.
    Oh, definitely. I think I'll need to get well-under 18:00, though, maybe as fast as 17:45. I hope, for her sake, that I have to go that fast to beat her
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedo
    - distance swimming is a totally different sport than events <200m.
    Yes, and distance swimming in LCM is yet another beast vs. distance swimming in SCY.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    Ouch, that sounded painful. Congrats on just surviving and it is great you pulled a PB off.
    Thanks, but the PB's not a huge accomplishment since I've only swum it once before as a Masters' swimmer! Part of the fun of me finally racing LCM is that I have very few prior swims in LCM, so I get these constant positive experiences of best times.

Congrats to your daughter and I am a little envious of her recovery time... and a lot of her speed
    Yeah and she also swam a much smarter race. I was 13 seconds ahead of her at the 500 point and her consistent pacing kept closing the gap.

Do the next 3 weeks look good for training?
    It should be pretty good. I'll probably train with more focus towards the 400 free and 200 IM as those are two events where I both have a reasonable (by no means easy) shot at getting USAS Sectional cuts and they fall on days when I'll likely be able to attend Sectionals. I'll swim the 1500 again because it'll be the last event of the meet, but don't see myself dropping 40 seconds in 3 weeks!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast