View RSS Feed

Of Swimming Bondage

Z-Pack & Back

Rate this Entry
by , June 19th, 2011 at 04:54 PM (52 Views)
As much as I like Cactus Pool and think that Kino is probably the fastest pool in Arizona, there is no better facility for hosting and attending a summer meet than the Phoenix Swim Club. Long course, I'd say the pool is almost on par with Kino and their chillers are the best in the state. What makes the facility even better, though, is the surrounding grass and numerous shade trees. It makes for both a more pleasant swimmer and parent experience, plus also makes the deck a lot cooler, though still hot, than the concrete ovens that exist at ASU and U of A. With all that said, I was toast by 2pm yesterday after officiating all morning. I decided against even doing an easy swim and just stayed inside the rest of the day.

Thanks to my friendly neighborhood CVS Minute Clinic, I did start on Zithromax yesterday for a diagnosed sinus infection. Hopefully, I'll be a new man in 5 days!

I got to the prelims session today expecting to swim the 100 back and 400 IM. Imagine my surprise when I found out that a number of the guys seeded ahead of me in the 400 had opted to swim it in the AM (timed final event with Top 8 swum in the evening) so they could catch flights home. Had I realized this was an option, I would've had my daughter mark me as 'prelims only,' but I didn't so I'm swimming that at the end of finals tonight. At first, I was bummed, but then got my head around it during warmup for my 100 back when I was feeling good in the water and now am pretty pumped for it.

As for my 100 back, I think I've only swum it once as a Masters swimmer and it was in '09 in a bodysuit. I had been 1:06.13 so I was looking to go sub 1:08. The race felt strong and good throughout, including a not sucky (but still not good) start. I was out in 32.6 and came back in 34.8 for a. 1:07.42. I'll take that! I did qualify 18th, but declared my intention to scratch tonight so I can focus on the IM (as guys will scratch).

Submit "Z-Pack & Back" to Digg Submit "Z-Pack & Back" to del.icio.us Submit "Z-Pack & Back" to StumbleUpon Submit "Z-Pack & Back" to Google

Comments

How's your back feeling?

I hadn't even thought of KT Tape before, but if it is still bothering you (or maybe after your swim), you may want to try some. They just had a post on Facebook the other day about using KT Tape for the back, and it reminded me of you. Let me know if you need some, again I buy online in bulk.
    Zithromax is a miracle worker! I hope you're better soon!
    You must live in the mecca of swimming! Not much here, I can't even find a nice pool without a long drive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Viva O Fear
    You must live in the mecca of swimming! Not much here, I can't even find a nice pool without a long drive.
    Yes, indeed, I do think we are very lucky in the greater PHX area. I still don't think we're as pool-rich as SoCal, but, possibly we are on a per capita basis. The funny thing is that many people in Arizona age group swimming don't realize how good we have it.

For me, making the decision to swim both USAS and USMS meets, though, has dramatically increased my opportunities for racing.
    Nice swim- The splits look perfect! That does sound like a beautiful pool.