View RSS Feed

Of Swimming Bondage

3 more seconds

Rate this Entry
by , June 20th, 2011 at 01:28 AM (107 Views)
I swam the 400 IM tonight at the PHX Summer Invite. Given that I had felt pretty good in my 100 back in the morning, I figured I could go a bit faster than the 5:06.99 I had gone earlier this year in Victoria. And, I did, going 5:03.98, a Masters best. I don't have my splits, but I had a great race with a kid next to me ... even though he beat me to the wall by a little less than 0.2, it was fun to have someone pushing me. I am pretty pleased with the race, but feel like I can still go faster with some changes:

• Train LCM! While I was happy with the time, I'm just not in the kind of shape I need to be to be able to attack this race. I was relaxed on the fly, built the back and built the breast, but then had little left in the tank for the freestyle.
  • Gliding is my friend in breaststroke: my first 50 felt smooth as I focused on stretching my stroke out, powerful pull, powerful kick and a decent glide. As I tried to pick it up on the 2nd 50, I think I shortened my stroke too much. I imagine I could've achieved the same split with the long stroke I had in the first 50 and have had more left for the freestyle.
  • I have to train more breaststroke and backstroke in actual sets in workouts ... doing things like 10 x 100 breast or 5 x 200 back, etc. I tend to only train these strokes when I do actual IMs in workout, but I think I need to put more emphasis on them on single stroke oriented sets.

UPDATE: Found the splits and they make me feel even better about the swim:

• Fly -- 1:08.1 (32.1 / 36.0)
  • Back - 1:18.4 (39.5 / 38.9)
  • Breast - 1:28.8 (44.3 / 44.5)
  • Free - 1:08.7 (35.4 / 33.3)

Though I only swam 4 events over the weekend, starting out with the 1500 made it seem like a longer, harder meet than it should've. I was pleased with the results.

Season ahead
Probably going to enter the following for the AZ Senior State meet (back at PHX Swim Club) the weekend of July 9th:

• 100 fly
  • 400 free
  • 200 IM
  • 1500* -- will enter, but reserving the mental space to not positively check-in for this!

I'm hoping to swim an LCM meet in mid-August with the current candidates being:

• SPMA Champs, Aug 12th to 14th:
    • Downside of this is that I'm not sure I can swing being there for 3 days
    • Order of events kind of crummy for me (e.g., 200 fly right after 400 free)
    • But, it's darn convenient and probably will have the greatest opportunity for competition

• Davis Aquatic Masters, Aug 13th:

• Maryland Masters summer swim series LCM, Aug 13th
    • http://www.teamunify.com/EventShow.j...&team=msmdlmsc
    • Am toying with this if I have reason to be on the east coast the week before
    • Order of events would allow for both the 400 free and 400 IM along with something in between like the 100 free or 100 fly
    • It's at the UMBC pool: anyone know if this is any good?

• Anyone know of any LCM meets the weekend of August 20th/21st?

Submit "3 more seconds" to Digg Submit "3 more seconds" to del.icio.us Submit "3 more seconds" to StumbleUpon Submit "3 more seconds" to Google

Updated June 20th, 2011 at 08:59 AM by pwb

Categories
Planning , USA-S Swim Meets / Events

Comments

Nice weekend of swimming--congrats! I hope the Z-pak is being as magical for you as I've always found them.
    Nice chunk of time off. That 5:00 barrier is approaching!
    Quote Originally Posted by swimsuit addict
    Nice weekend of swimming--congrats! I hope the Z-pak is being as magical for you as I've always found them.
    Thanks ... as of this morning, I'm feeling like the Z-pack is starting to make some progress in the battle!
    Looks like a textbook race. I agree with Speedo: the 5:00 barrier is tantalizingly close. Well done!
    Great swim Patrick! I'd love to have that 100 breast split as a standalone 100 breast; something to shoot for.

Not sure if you saw, but Paul and Laura are planning a 1 day LCM masters meet, either July 9 or 16. If it is the later, maybe you can make it.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Not sure if you saw, but Paul and Laura are planning a 1 day LCM masters meet, either July 9 or 16. If it is the later, maybe you can make it.
    Yes. I saw that on Facebook. If they have it, I'll definitely aim to make it. Both days have pros and cons for me, but I have complained about there not being enough AZ Masters meets this summer so I am going to make every effort to be there.
    How about August 27th here in NC for the 2 mile OW swim at the Hickory Nut Gorge Olympiad? Beautiful lake.
    Quote Originally Posted by aquageek
    How about August 27th here in NC for the 2 mile OW swim at the Hickory Nut Gorge Olympiad? Beautiful lake.
    Geek, it does look beautiful, but I want to taper for some pool racing.
    I am planning on going to the SPMA meet hope to meet you there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Viva O Fear
    I am planning on going to the SPMA meet hope to meet you there.
    What will tip me over the edge to get to probably any one of these meets is where my business travel takes me. If I can coordinate being in one of these places on a Friday for work, it'll make it even easier to just stay and swim Saturday.
    Sharp IM! Had plenty left at the end. Your glide in breast must go on for days lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by gdanner
    Had plenty left at the end.
    My splits look fine in isolation, but after the breaststroke, I was:

• 2.3 secs ahead of the kid who beat me by 0.17
    • 0.36 ahead of the kid who beat me by 6.4 seconds (he had a monster finish, though at 1:01.8 and is a 4:28ish 500 SCY freestyler)
    That was a nice swim. Your fly/free splits were equal, that shows you're in shape and split it good. It's just hard to compete with teenage kids that are powered by raging hormones or something! (Plus they didn't want to get beat by the "old guy"). I've heard these comments at my own USA-S meets.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    (Plus they didn't want to get beat by the "old guy")
    For sure. The meet referee is a guy that I've worked with at multiple meets and he refs both Masters and USAS meets. He was giving me a hard time (in a joking way) throughout the weekend, especially when my daughter almost beat me in the 1500. Right before the 400 IM, as I was in lane 7 and the kid who beat me by 0.17 was in lane 8, the meet ref shouts out so that both the kid and I can hear, "Hey, Patrick! Ian (the kid) has been giving you the stink eye ever since he figured out you're the old guy. He's gonna take you down!"

I hope for the kid's sake that he enjoyed the race: after all, he dropped 5 seconds off his entry time and his coach seemed real pleased with his swim, so I think we each benefited from having the other push us.