View RSS Feed

Ande's Swimming Blog

FAST Fri Jun 24th, 2011 LCM

Rate this Entry
FAST Fri Jun 24th, 2011 LCM

Swam Tue, Wed & Thu but didn't blog em

On the flight home from Seattle, my son Dane read an article in Outside Magazine about
The 4-Hour Body: An Uncommon Guide to Rapid Fat-Loss, Incredible Sex, and Becoming Superhuman by Timothy Ferriss and decided to investigate further, yesterday he showed it to me.
it makes some amazing claims:
YOU WILL LEARN (in less than 30 minutes each):
* How to lose those last 5-10 pounds (or 100+ pounds) with odd combinations of food and safe chemical cocktails.
* How to prevent fat gain while bingeing (X-mas, holidays, weekends)
* How to increase fat-loss 300% with a few bags of ice
* How Tim gained 34 pounds of muscle in 28 days, without steroids, and in four hours of total gym time
* How to sleep 2 hours per day and feel fully rested
* How to produce 15-minute female orgasms
* How to triple testosterone and double sperm count
* How to go from running 5 kilometers to 50 kilometers in 12 weeks
* How to reverse “permanent” injuries
* How to add 150+ pounds to your lifts in 6 months
* How to pay for a beach vacation with one hospital visit
I looked at the chapters & read a few pages, it looks interesting & currently ranks #33 on Amazon.
Anyone out there read it or tried it?
Got any comments?
I wonder if it really works?
The chapter titled: How I Learned to Swim Effortlessly in 10 Days where he shares how he went from a struggling beginner swimmer (who could barely swim 2 lengths in a pool) to improving his technique and being able to complete a 2,500 meter open water swim.
Hint: he learned TI & provides a nice summary

Ferriss also wrote
The 4-Hour Workweek, Expanded and Updated: Expanded and Updated, With Over 100 New Pages of Cutting-Edge Content.
Anyone read it or got Comments?

Subscribe to Ande's Swimming Blog

WEIGHTS
lifted at san marcos world gym
5:10 am - 5:25 am

Whitney Coached
UT, main pool LCM
6:00 - 7:30 dove at 6:08
wore FS PRO jammer
swam with Mike, Chris, Marcio & Nate
beside Tyler,
plus Larry & Jim who have a meet tomorrow in Dallas

WARM UP
assigned 500, 400, 300, 200, 100
did 50's on :50

Main SET: LCM

4 rounds of
100 fr 80% on 2:00
100 fr 90% on 2:15
100 fr 100% on 2:30
50 FAST for time from a dive
150 easy

R1 1:11, 1:08, 1:06, 27
R2 1:11, 1:08, 1:05, 27
R3 1:11, 1:10, 1:02, FL28
R4 1:14, 1:10, 1:08, FL 26

500 choice
did easy 50's

After practice I watched UT men work out for a while, their practice is 7:30 - 9:00 or 9:30
hung around through the first round of their main set which was:

6 x 100 FAST in heats on 7:30
They had 5 lanes & there were 5 heats which went off every 90 seconds
saw some fast work out swims

Meets

2011 South Central Zone LCM Championships INFO
Jul 22 - 24, 2011 in
Shenandoah (Houston), TX
will probably enter:
Fri 400 IM
Sat 50 FL, 100 FR, 50 bk or 200 IM, & 1 or 2 relays
Sun 100 FL, 50 BR, 100 BK & 50 FR & 1 or 2 relays

Submit "FAST Fri Jun 24th, 2011 LCM" to Digg Submit "FAST Fri Jun 24th, 2011 LCM" to del.icio.us Submit "FAST Fri Jun 24th, 2011 LCM" to StumbleUpon Submit "FAST Fri Jun 24th, 2011 LCM" to Google

Updated July 11th, 2013 at 10:19 PM by ande

Categories
Swim Workouts , Strength Training and Dryland Workouts

Comments

Got any comments?
    To me he sounds like he's full of sh**.
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    To me he sounds like he's full of sh**.
    I know a few people that have read his book. They swear by his thinking.

I haven't read it, so I will not comment on is ideas.
    I have read 4 hour work week and about half of 4 hour body. The first is pretty much a motivational book targeted at using out of the ordinary solutions to your problems, aka think outside the box. The 4 hour body is a collection of just about everything he has published on his website with more detail. Some of it works, some of it is accurate, some of it is debatable and some of it has been pretty throughly disproved. Your son picked a good book for airplane reading since the topics are varied, interesting and independent of each other.

I think you would enjoy the book, but it needs to be read with a critical eye. He referencing method isn't exactly scientific.
    I think I'll try to get a hold of those books. They sound a little crazy but interesting at the same time.
    hey knelson,

sorry I missed you, seattle was a whirlwind.
    "To me he sounds like he's full of sh**"
    yep his advice may fall in the category of
    "if anything sounds too good to be true it probably is"
    but it might fall in the category of
    "one mans miracle is another mans engineering"

hey wookiee,

I know a few people that have read his book.
    They swear by his thinking.
    I haven't read it, so I will not comment on is ideas.
    There you go

hey qbrain,
    I have read 4 hour work week and about half of 4 hour body. The first is pretty much a motivational book targeted at using out of the ordinary solutions to your problems, aka think outside the box.

The 4 hour body is a collection of just about everything he has published on his website with more detail. Some of it works, some of it is accurate, some of it is debatable and some of it has been pretty throughly disproved. Your son picked a good book for airplane reading since the topics are varied, interesting and independent of each other.
    I think you would enjoy the book, but it needs to be read with a critical eye. He referencing method isn't exactly scientific.
    sounds like a balanced opinion, I would think you'd have to learn his advice and correctly follow it for a specified period of time to prove or disprove it

Hey Bobinator,
    I think I'll try to get a hold of those books.
    They sound a little crazy but interesting at the same time.
    I hope to read my son's once he's done, but it sounds like one you need to read then pick a project and reread to stay on task.
    We'll see, think he's working on trimming up
    Quote Originally Posted by ande
    sounds like a balanced opinion, I would think you'd have to learn his advice and correctly follow it for a specified period of time to prove or disprove it
    There could certainly be some worthwhile advice. The claims seem to be overblown, but, hey, they need to catch your attention to sell more books!