View RSS Feed

The FAF AFAP Digest

Home, June 25-June 30

Rate this Entry
June 25:

Spent the whole day in Santa Margarita and Portofino on the Italian Riviera. The two villages were breathtakingly picturesque! Once of my very favorite stops. The kids loved this stop as well (trying 5 kinds of pizza at lunch probably helped) and voted SM as having the best gelato on the trip. Quite a bit of walking, but no workouts today. Couldn't work out at night because Mini Fort and I had some mommy-daughter time at the spa.

June 26:

Spent a good part of the day on the Island of Corsica (towns of Carghese and Ajjacio), which is part of France. Corsica is rugged and beautiful; our drive along the coastline was amazing. Did some walking around and splashing about in the Mediterranean on a nearly deserted beach. Mental error: forgot my goggles. Workout before dinner:

leg extension, 130 x 5 x 5
rear delt fly, 85 x 3 x 8
tricep extension, 75 x 3 x 10
captains chair straight leg raise, 2 x 15
long arm crunches, 2 x 50
floor DB bench press, 50 x 4 x 10
knee tuck jumps, 2 x 10

Ellipse, 30 minutes

-- Same as last time. Did 15-30 second AFAP bursts the whole time with complete recovery.

June 27:

Walked at least 4-5 miles in France around Villefranche, Nice and Eze. The villages were lovely, and Nice is a beautiful city. I'd like to live in the hills above the city! Stopped at a medieval wine cellar for a tasting of Provencal wines. Delicious! I find myself actually liking the rose we tried here and in Italy. Unlike most roses in the US which are blends, these were single grape wines from red grapes.

June 28:

Drylands, 80 minutes:

captains chair, 4 x 15
steps ups with DBs, 50 x 3 x 10
seated lat pulldown, 100 x 4 x 8
push press w/DBs, 40 x 4 x 10
lower back machine, 160 x 1 x 15, 175 x 1 15, 190 x 2 x 15
-- weight seemed wrong on this machine; but the way the machine was set up, I got leverage from the legs
explosive leg press, 270 x 3 x 10
knee tuck jumps, 2 x 10
standing long jumps, 10
RC exercises

Ellipse, 45 minutes

-- did 3 steady state sessions keeping my heart rate pretty elevated with a break in between each.

June 29:

Spent our last day of the vacation in Barcelona. It was a really long 12 hour day as we were trying to see as much as possible. Between walking and the hop on/hop off bus, we saw many of the top 25 sights. Loved wandering through the Barri Gottic and the Riberio. Did the major sites -- Las Ramblas, Barre Gottic, Montjuic, La Sagrada Familia (truly amazing and unique) and La Pedrera. We even made it to the Aquarium for Lil Fort (and a break from the sun). I liked Barcelona, but may have slightly preferred Nice as a city. And it's hard to beat its mountain + beach setting. We must have walked 5-6 miles this day.

June 30:

Flew home. Didn't sleep on the flight (reading a good book!), so believe I will be quite tired for a few days. Woke up at 7:00 am and couldn't get back to sleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Commentary:

I wish I had a body bugg with me so that I could have seen how many miles we walked, some at a very brisk pace! In general, I don't think I lost too much general aerobic conditioning or strength. But I know I will feel like utter crap when I get in the water today. Oddly, I never felt terribly sore after my strength sessions. I wonder if all the walking served as recovery? Or the extra days off helped? Or if the machines I used were calibrated incorrectly? I did feel like I was working in the gym.

So I have 1 month+ until Nationals. My only focus will be the 50 fly and 50 back. My other events will likely be collateral damage from vacation. I didn't swim that well in the 50s last summer after having 2 vacations. But this time I have slightly more time to get my act together. Hopefully, a narrow focus on speed will help.

And no rest for the weary -- A summer meet tomorrow am for both my girls.

Submit "Home, June 25-June 30" to Digg Submit "Home, June 25-June 30" to del.icio.us Submit "Home, June 25-June 30" to StumbleUpon Submit "Home, June 25-June 30" to Google

Updated July 1st, 2011 at 11:49 AM by The Fortress

Categories
Swim Workouts , Ellipse Machine

Comments

Welcome back. Trip sounds awesome.
    Your trip sounds amazing!!!!! Are you going to post pics? Sorry you are so weary
    I am finally done with summer school and can start my official summer break!!
    Good to see you back. I signed up for Nats too!
    Welcome back! Sounds like a great trip.

Hope your swim goes better than you are expecting.
    Welcome back! Glad you had a great trip, and looking forward to seeing some pics, and to see you posting some workouts.

It took me almost a week to get back to normal after getting back from Rome. I was waking up at 3-4am. But AZ is another 3 hours time difference. Just give it some time, you'll be fine in a few days.
    what fun
    welcome back
    looks like you did some training
    Glad you are back, mither!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobinator
    Your trip sounds amazing!!!!! Are you going to post pics? Sorry you are so weary
    I am finally done with summer school and can start my official summer break!!
    Pretty hard to avoid jet lag ...

So do you get the next month off? Did you sign up for Nationals?
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    Good to see you back. I signed up for Nats too!
    That's excellent news! You will be very ready for it too. How was the Race Club? I have to go back and read your blog report.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    Welcome back! Glad you had a great trip, and looking forward to seeing some pics, and to see you posting some workouts.

It took me almost a week to get back to normal after getting back from Rome. I was waking up at 3-4am. But AZ is another 3 hours time difference. Just give it some time, you'll be fine in a few days.
    Yeah, I'm assuming I will need a week or so to normalize. Mr. Fort woke up at 3-4 am for good, so I got off lucky at 7 am. Really feeling whacked after working out.
    Quote Originally Posted by ande
    what fun
    welcome back
    looks like you did some training
    Tried to train. Not quite the same amount as usual of course. But not bad considering I was so busy during the day. And I don't appear to have gained any weight despite eating and drinking way more than usual!
    Quote Originally Posted by scyfreestyler
    Welcome back! Sounds like a great trip.

Hope your swim goes better than you are expecting.
    Thanks Matt! I actually didn't feel nearly as badly as I expected.