View RSS Feed

Of Swimming Bondage

C winner, not chicked

Rate this Entry
As expected, I only made it back tonight for the 400, having qualified 17th with a 4:30.81. I was able to see my splits from the morning swim on the results -- 1:05.5, 1:09.0, 1:08.6, 1:07.7 -- so I knew that I needed to push to get out a little faster tonight, but also push the 2nd 100 faster. I felt utterly crappy during warmup, but was like a new man when I dove in for the race. I was a bit disappointed that none of my heatmates pushed the pace, but I was very happy to sneak in under 4:30 at 4:29.52 and win the heat. On top of that, I managed to not get chicked by the women's event winner (she went 4:29.99)

I don't have my splits and there doesn't appear to be a real time meet results site to check them, but I'll track them down tomorrow night when I go back for #1 daughter to swim a relay. This race felt really good from start to finish and it was one of the first LCM races where I felt like I didn't have to hold back on account of me not being in sufficient LCM racing shape.

Submit "C winner, not chicked" to Digg Submit "C winner, not chicked" to del.icio.us Submit "C winner, not chicked" to StumbleUpon Submit "C winner, not chicked" to Google

Comments

Nice swim! I don't think I've got any chance of dipping under 4:30 tomorrow, but we'll see.
    Great swim- do you think the splits will be similar to your prelim swim?
    congrats on your swims! I'm really impressed by your ability to figure out and do what you need to do to drop some more time in finals!
    Great swim. It's really inspiring to read.
    PR and then PR again! Are you 13? Congrats!
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedo
    Great swim- do you think the splits will be similar to your prelim swim?
    Thanks, Speedo. I suspect there will be a bigger delta between the 1st and 2nd 200. I didn't feel like I died, but also didn't feel like I got more powerful as the race went on (like I did in the morning).
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    PR and then PR again!
    Q, my LCM PRs have to be put into perspective: this is the first summer I've ever trained through and consistently raced as a Masters swimmer. I am certainly happy with the swims, but the PRs in LCM are less of a hurdle than in SCM or SCY.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat
    Great swim. It's really inspiring to read.
    Thanks. Apparently my daughter and her teammates were cheering loudly for me, so it was a fun swim. I ran into one of the kids who was in my heat in the locker room after; we had a good chat about the 'fun' of racing that race twice in the same day. He had done 3 events in prelims plus 2 in the evening and relays and he looked a bit wiped out. I had a lighter day.
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    Nice swim! I don't think I've got any chance of dipping under 4:30 tomorrow, but we'll see.
    It's too late for advice, but given your strong 1500, I'd just recommend getting out fast and hanging on. You're not going to die.
    Quote Originally Posted by swimsuit addict
    congrats on your swims! I'm really impressed by your ability to figure out and do what you need to do to drop some more time in finals!
    Thanks. While I definitely employed a different race strategy tonight, I think that, for me, more than anything its the adrenaline high from racing in finals. It doesn't always work as I've certainly bonked in finals, but, more often than not, I've just found myself more psyched to race in the evening.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    It's too late for advice, but given your strong 1500, I'd just recommend getting out fast and hanging on. You're not going to die.
    That's good advice and I'll try to do it. If I do die, though, I'm blaming you.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Thanks. Apparently my daughter and her teammates were cheering loudly for me, so it was a fun swim.
    That is so fun! Sometimes I swim at my daughter's summer league meets in the "unlimited" category and she and her friends will cheer. It's totally cool and I will remember it forever when she grows up and we can't do this together any more. Then again, maybe we can do USMS together, or maybe I can swim with grandkids, that would be great, if my body holds up that long. Anyway now she is 9 and I'm enjoying that while I can.

Excellent 400 btw.
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson
    That's good advice and I'll try to do it. If I do die, though, I'm blaming you.
    I'm going to take the same advice for my 400 today in a few hours, with the same excuse for dying...
    But I won't use the excuse that I just got off a 10 hour workday (and have to swim in 2 hours)...completely rebuilding a machine in a hot building that zapped my energy and my legs are so tired I can hardly get up and walk...