View RSS Feed

aztimm's training blog

2011 East Valley Summer Invite LCM USMS meet

Rate this Entry
I was just reviewing a similar meet from last year:
http://forums.usms.org/blog.php?b=10028

A couple of surprises, a few meh events, but overall a good meet for me. Heck, I think anytime I get a PB alone should make a good meet.

This year's meet was about a month later, and at Skyline Aquatics Center -v- Kino last year (I think both pools are equally good).

My lineup this year was a little different, with 1 new event, and 1 event I hadn't swum since 2002.

Ended up taking Holly (the dog) for a little walk before I left home, about a mile, and I left a little later than I hoped. Still arrived at the pool around 7:20, with plenty of time to warm-up--

(wore my usual brief/drag suit combo)
600 gradual build
4 x 50, pace 25s/easy 25
200 easy

my 1st event, 1500 free
seed time: 23:45
prior swims: never
today's time: 22:08.96
notes--
Initially I was a little pissed that they moved around the heats; a gal I swim with was supposed to be in the lane next to me which would have been a nice little race. they moved her and someone else to the 3rd heat. so I was the fastest in my heat. I chatted with some others ahead of time, most just wanted to finish.
I don't have splits yet, but I know I took the first 100 a little faster than I should have, then settled into a decent pace, trying to hold a 1:30/100. I had a good view of the scoreboard, and looked about every 200.
Mostly just hung on, then around 1200 I started to wake up. By the time I heard the bell, I really pushed things, and some people told me my last 100 was similar to my first.
I didn't have a set counter; one of the coaches said she'd count for me. But at some point one of her kids took over, and they forgot to change the number. I saw 13 twice, so I just added 2 to what that was showing. Not a huge deal, just kept me awake.
Before this, I also changed into my Speedo Fastskin brief. I've worn this before, but not in the water today. When I first dove in, I felt like I had lost 10#...which could have contributed to going out a little fast.

did a 300 w/d immediately after that.

before I warmed up again, I went in the locker room to squeeze into my newly purchased Yingfa jammer. it arrived on Thursday; I had tried it on at home, but this was the first time it had seen water.

then did a 300 w/u before my next event.

my 2nd event: 100 free
seed time: 1:12
past times: 1999 1:15, 2002 1:16, 2010 1:12
today's time: 1:08.72
notes--
Diving in wearing the Yingfa jammer I felt like I wasn't wearing anything at all. my legs felt so light, and it held my butt really high in the water. I went through a little of that in the warm-up, but going off a block was surreal.
had a really good race with the guy next to me, he's another ASU to Mesa convert. he said he paced me for the first 50, then I tried to catch him at the end; he finished a second ahead.
I think I only took 5 dolphin kicks off of the dive. sometimes I've taken 6-8, and I think that's just too many for me. this seemed to work better.
that said, I don't really know how it is possible do drop 4 seconds in a 100 over a year. yea, the suit probably gave me a second, but 3 more? that's insane.

did another 300 w/d after the 100.

my 3rd event: 50 free
seed time: :33
past times: 1999 :34.01, 2002 :34.66, 2011 :33
today's time: :32.23
notes--
had a decent dive, did my 5 dolphin kicks, but just didn't feel snappy at all in this. I was in an end lane, felt like I could have gotten some backwash. really tried to catch the gal in the next lane, but it just never happened.
I should probably just give up on this event, but for some reason I don't.

did a 250 w/d after the 50 free.

my 4th event: 50 breast
seed time: :43
past times: 1999 :41.82, 2002 :40.55, 2010 :41
today's time: :42.11
notes--
after last year, I kept telling myself before it, "breaststroke, breaststroke, breaststroke..." Patrick was in the next lane and he probably thought I was crazy.
I shouldn't have, but I looked over at Patrick a few times. He really didn't take off until halfway, and I kept holding back, thinking I was going too fast. I just felt very sluggish, and definitely not the pace I needed for a 50.
actually worse than last year, but with the extra dolphin kicks last year, that could have been an edge (tho doing an easy pace I really expected faster).
oh well, win some/lose some. considering how much breast I've done recently, especially given my recent ankle stuff, this was decent.

did an easy 200 after the 50 breast.

and then did an easy/build 300, with a couple 25 pace breast legs, before the 200 breast.

my 5th event: 200 breast
seed time: 3:17
past times: in 2002 3:13.81
time today: 3:17.59
notes--
I was definitely tired by this point, and was 80% into scratching. but somehow I thought I'd just see how I'd do. I haven't been training breast much lately, and the 200 clearly shows this, especially -v- 2002 when I was doing a fair amount (at Ron Johnson's urging).
only 4 people showed up for this, but 3 of us were in lanes 6-7-8, so we had a little race going. I just tried to go out very slow, and really didn't push until the 100 point. the gal in lane 8 seeded at 3:30, had done the mile and 400 IM before this, but she still managed a 3:12. I kinda saw her glide by me, and I picked up my pace a little, but didn't get too speedy until the last 50.
my ankle still felt kinda funky, I wouldn't have felt guilty skipping this, but I'm glad I did. I really should do more breast in workout.

then did a 400 w/d before packing up and heading out.

TTL distance: 4850m

overall it was a great meet. as a gal who I used to swim at ASU with said, "it is like a workout with timers." very fast moving, and if you weren't watching, you could have easily missed an event.
I almost wished I had just done the 1500 then the 100 free, and left on a high note. that said, I'm glad I got in the others, for practice if nothing else. doing the 1500 just zaps energy for later in the meet.

hoping to run tomorrow morning, and still toying with the open water at Canyon Lake.

Submit "2011 East Valley Summer Invite LCM USMS meet" to Digg Submit "2011 East Valley Summer Invite LCM USMS meet" to del.icio.us Submit "2011 East Valley Summer Invite LCM USMS meet" to StumbleUpon Submit "2011 East Valley Summer Invite LCM USMS meet" to Google

Updated July 9th, 2011 at 11:37 PM by aztimm

Categories
Masters Swim Meets / Events

Comments

Tim, you had an awesome meet. After a 1500, I'm usually wasted. To come out of that with very little race and drop your 100 time is impressive. Sorry I skipped out on the 200 breast; I would've preferred to be there.
    Agree! Can't believe you attempted all those other events after the 1500. Really nice job. No holding back on 50s!

And no way did the suit give you 4 seconds. Maybe 1 at best.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb
    Tim, you had an awesome meet. After a 1500, I'm usually wasted. To come out of that with very little race and drop your 100 time is impressive. Sorry I skipped out on the 200 breast; I would've preferred to be there.
    Thanks Patrick! Since this was my first (but hopefully not last) 1500, I really had no idea. Now at least I'll have something in mind when I do it again.

I think i felt pretty pumped up after the 1500, and that carried through to the 100. But eventually, all that racing caught up with me.

If you had done the 200, you would have had a race of your own. Maybe I would have sped up a little if I saw you, but as the 5th event, I don't know how much more I had in the tank.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    Agree! Can't believe you attempted all those other events after the 1500. Really nice job. No holding back on 50s!

And no way did the suit give you 4 seconds. Maybe 1 at best.
    When I first registered for the meet, Q told me something like, "After the 1500, you'll either feel like you're done or you'll finally feel warmed up for the rest of the meet." For me, I think it helped and I was really warmed up for the 100...but then I faded/crashed.

Oh, and I don't think the suit gave too much time either (maybe a second). After my hiatus from team swimming, I really thought I lost speed. But doing some short-rest sets, and my Fridays with Urmas may have been enough to let me hang on. I also did some drop-ins, which certainly helped. And now I've been back with the team for about 6 weeks now.
    Nice swims Tim... I agree the 1500 and I'm done for the day...usually.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    When I first registered for the meet, Q told me something like, "After the 1500, you'll either feel like you're done or you'll finally feel warmed up for the rest of the meet." For me, I think it helped and I was really warmed up for the 100...but then I faded/crashed.
    It doesn't look like it was much of a "crash." All your events were solid. You should do this more often.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1
    Nice swims Tim... I agree the 1500 and I'm done for the day...usually.
    yea, but I had to get the most swims for my meet entry too
    Heck, I think anytime I get a PB alone should make a good meet.
    A PB is a good meet. I am sorry if you see if differently or pwb disagrees with me, but not everyone can be right

I chatted with some others ahead of time, most just wanted to finish.
    Sadly, this is frequently true. It is also true for me for anything over a 200. Some how I start to care after it is over. It is probably the fear of the pain that delays the caring.

I kept holding back, thinking I was going too fast.
    This is a good sign that the 50 isn't for you. Most 50ers have to be convinced that there is some strategy (very little) to a 50. Holding back certainly wouldn't be a thought that crossed a 50ers mind.

I haven't been training breast much lately, and the 200 clearly shows this, especially -v- 2002 when I was doing a fair amount (at Ron Johnson's urging).
    This is a big factor and the 200 is also very much a strategy race. Practicing racing strategy in practice or being a very good racer are critical to making the the most of your training in the 200. The 200 is probably your breast stroke race. To do well in a 200, I am convinced that you have to train the stroke and train the strategy.

overall it was a great meet. as a gal who I used to swim at ASU with said, "it is like a workout with timers." very fast moving, and if you weren't watching, you could have easily missed an event.
    I think the short rest meet format is good for you as a runner and as a endurance guy. A meet where there is an event per hour that is under 2 minutes would lead you to the warm up pool to either work out or slit your wrists.

hoping to run tomorrow morning
    Between the ankle and the meet, you will be frustrated if you plan for a long run. I would vote for a 3-4 miler with Holly early AM.

Q told me
    Try to keep in mind that he doesn't know **** about ****.

Congrats on your swims today.
    Quote Originally Posted by aztimm
    yea, but I had to get the most swims for my meet entry too
    Oh, I always do that of course!!! Especially since I'm usually driving 3 hours to get there. More swims for the mileage.
    those are great swims and what a spectrum of events from the 1500 to the 50!
    Nice swims! And sounds like you had a really really good 100 FR--congrats!

My 100 FR time often varies quite a lot depending on how rested I am, and how game I am for letting it hurt. Sounds like you were ready to race it hard, and probably feeling relaxed enough from the 1500 to allow your body to do what it was capable of. 100s require an odd mix of focused readiness and relaxed swimming that can be hard to achieve.

Kudos on your meet!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress
    It doesn't look like it was much of a "crash." All your events were solid. You should do this more often.
    Well of course I'd like to be faster in all my events

Before I left, Paul told me to consider at least doing a day of the AZ State LCM meet in Tucson in a few weeks. We'll see...about a 90 min drive each way from home to the U of A. If someone else from our team is doing just a day, maybe I'll tag along.

Otherwise, Paul said that they do now have SCM lanelines and they're already planning to have a SCM meet at Kino this fall.
    Quote Originally Posted by qbrain
    A PB is a good meet. I am sorry if you see if differently or pwb disagrees with me, but not everyone can be right

Sadly, this is frequently true. It is also true for me for anything over a 200. Some how I start to care after it is over. It is probably the fear of the pain that delays the caring.

This is a good sign that the 50 isn't for you. Most 50ers have to be convinced that there is some strategy (very little) to a 50. Holding back certainly wouldn't be a thought that crossed a 50ers mind.

This is a big factor and the 200 is also very much a strategy race. Practicing racing strategy in practice or being a very good racer are critical to making the the most of your training in the 200. The 200 is probably your breast stroke race. To do well in a 200, I am convinced that you have to train the stroke and train the strategy.

I think the short rest meet format is good for you as a runner and as a endurance guy. A meet where there is an event per hour that is under 2 minutes would lead you to the warm up pool to either work out or slit your wrists.

Between the ankle and the meet, you will be frustrated if you plan for a long run. I would vote for a 3-4 miler with Holly early AM.

Try to keep in mind that he doesn't know **** about ****.

Congrats on your swims today.
    Not quite sure where to even begin... Yes, I do think getting a PB makes a good meet. Especially one with such a drop. And this after I did a 100 free on Tuesday in 1:18 and wondered how I even came up with a 1:12 seed time.

Having at least a rough time for the 1500 was handy. An easy 1:30 per 100 calculation didn't requite much, and with a nice view of the clock, I was able to keep an eye on it.

I definitely agree that the 50 (of anything) really isn't for me. I picked these because I wanted to do 5 events, these were spaced ok, and 50s sounded a bit more palatable than say the 200 and/or 400 free, events I've done at multi-day meets before. And yes, if I want to get serious about breaststroke, I need to do more of it, and plan for it.

The day after this meet last year, I slept in and didn't regret it at all. If I even just wake up and walk the dog tomorrow, I'll be doing more. Some running friends wanted to meet me, but one is sick, the other often flakes out, so I won't have to worry about 'having' to, if I don't want to.

I think I said this last year, that a small team meet like this is a great chance to assess how things are going. Regardless of ability, I think everyone can benefit from this, they'll know if/how they're progressing, and what they could focus on. Paul and Laura do a great job of rallying the team with these meets, I'd guess 40% of the team showed up, plus people from other area groups.
    Very impressive 100, 4 seconds is great after all that swimming.
    Swim suits can make a difference of 3 to 4 seconds. The youngsters that wear YingFa have come back to me at swim meets and report best times of 4 to 8 seconds faster in a 100 with the new suit over their old swim suits. The females do have better results then the males. It May be that neck to knee suits are faster then jammers.